Thread Rating:
  • 21 Votes - 4.14 Average
Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
11-23-2015, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2015 07:35 AM by vnctdj.)
RE: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
[Censored]

Edit by vnctdj : Please stop advertising.

My favorite thing is playing emulator games(GB games) on my jxd s7800b. Are you keen on retro games?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2015, 11:21 AM
RE: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
(11-23-2015 02:57 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  From a technical perspective, resolution and mhz are just numbers. For example, if I said "all tall people are ALWAYS faster runners than anyone shorter than them," you would know I was wrong. That's simply not true.

Running involves a lot of things - stride (which is affected by height), breathing, strength, endurance / stamina, diet, practice, even posture. It's not just one thing.

So just because you lower the resolution (affect one factor), doesn't mean that you'll suddenly have the game run so much faster. That's still only one thing - and what your graphics driver is having problems with probably ISN'T resolution.

Note: SOME drivers do have issues with resolution. Some video cards have issues with resolution. But just like some runners could improve in different areas, so too can some drivers and video cards improve in different areas. Don't zero in on resolution as the only thing that can be a problem.

So help me improve this knowledge of mine.

-I can play similar games "playably" like Persona 3 and Ragnarok both at limit.
-If I speed up there is a huge frame skiping so i can assume that some of these specs on my processor and video chip were a litlle good for those games.

But Digimon Adventure have a little more MBs on its iso. Something like 300 or 500MB more than those games that I can play.

On these playable games if I put more resolution it will probably get unplayable.

Assuming that I expected that lowering the hardware resolution would probably fix my problem because my device runs native at 1080.

Is there not a way to low this native internal resolution?

I'm not insisting on this because i want so badly play the game on my portable. I just want to learn something from this.

TIA.
11-24-2015, 06:51 AM
(11-23-2015 11:21 AM)farahjr Wrote:  -I can play similar games "playably" like Persona 3 and Ragnarok both at limit.
-If I speed up there is a huge frame skiping so i can assume that some of these specs on my processor and video chip were a litlle good for those games.

Well, frameskipping means we skip sending things to your video driver and ultimately video card. We keep doing everything else - all CPU processing, music processing, etc.

I'm going to use another analogy here - music.

Someone could play a piano, a flute, or a guitar for you. In all three cases, the result would be music. And ultimately, if you are enjoying the music, it's often not that important to you exactly what instrument is making it - just like with video games, you don't really focus on how the game is doing its graphics, as long as they are enjoyable.

Your phone might just not have very good breathing. So it can't play flutes so well, because it gets out of breath when it plays for very long. But it might have no trouble playing the guitar or the piano.

The point is, different games do things differently. Different hardware has different strengths, and different challenges. There are even some ways of drawing graphics that are just hard to emulate on any hardware.

All devices have a "bandwidth" for pixels. This is called the fill rate. Some devices have lower fill rates, others have higher fill rates. And how complicated the drawing is can affect this - if there are lights and shadows and etc., it can in some cases "cost" more fill rate.

Some games will draw, for example, an ocean, and then ground, and then grass, and then buildings on top of that. You might be in a building, but the game is actually redrawing everything below your feet, every single frame. As you can imagine, this "eats up" fill rate faster than if it only drew what you could see.

So it really depends on the game - and on the device. Just because something makes one game faster definitely doesn't mean it'll make all games faster.

(11-23-2015 11:21 AM)farahjr Wrote:  But Digimon Adventure have a little more MBs on its iso. Something like 300 or 500MB more than those games that I can play.

ISO size is just another number. It's kinda like judging runners by the number of shoes they have. Yeah, it could be related somehow, but probably not very much.

(11-23-2015 11:21 AM)farahjr Wrote:  Is there not a way to low this native internal resolution?

There is. There are two settings - the "Rendering resolution" and the "Display resolution (HW scaler)". Change both to 1x PSP, and it will use 1x as much as your device supports.

Rendering resolution is what things are actually displayed at. This is the more expensive part, in most cases.

Display resolution is what it's actually copied to your screen at. This can be expensive on devices with low bandwidth.

-[Unknown]
11-24-2015, 05:11 PM
(11-24-2015 06:51 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Change both to 1x PSP, and it will use 1x as much as your device supports.
What do You mean with it?

Why my device should not "suport" this configurarion?

Also when doing that " no huge performance"

I understand what You said about different games, different mechanics, but this being a portable game and those other games being so 100% FULL TIME, there is too much performance discrepancy in my opnion to be just "Deal with it".

But i Do understand that the mechanics and graphics on this game are pretty different from other games, like the perspective being on diagonal an we being able to see the ocean or things like that. it really must heart the process.

THe most probably thing is that this game uses a mechanic not yeti fully comprehensive for the devs. Like the bold line on the Digimons that ony got possible since an update, but the option destroy the image quality.

(11-24-2015 06:51 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Display resolution is what it's actually copied to your screen at. This can be expensive on devices with low bandwidth.
Yeap. That is what thought.

As I said on another post up there. When hardware resolution came I feel hope again. But then this hardware resolution make nothing but pixelate the image and got just 1%-2% spd from an average of 89%-90%.

So I don't know what else i can do besides buying the new Nexus5.
11-25-2015, 05:32 AM
(11-24-2015 05:11 PM)farahjr Wrote:  What do You mean with it?

Why my device should not "suport" this configurarion?

My memory of the Android docs are that they suggest some devices don't support it. I don't know why. Probably your device does support it.

(11-24-2015 05:11 PM)farahjr Wrote:  THe most probably thing is that this game uses a mechanic not yeti fully comprehensive for the devs. Like the bold line on the Digimons that ony got possible since an update, but the option destroy the image quality.

What's happening here is that the game is downloading parts of what have been drawn, and then running some code to update it, and then uploading it back.

On the PSP, doing that was very fast - you could easily download and upload from the GPU.

On modern OpenGL devices, especially phones, this is not a very fast operation. Additionally, the download *MUST* happen at 1x, because the game's brain will explode if we suddenly give it > 1x worth of pixels to work with when applying the outlines.

It's quite likely this is causing slow performance in that game, at least. We have three settings which control some of this new behavior which allows effects like this to work:

* Simulate block transfer: this allows download/upload operations. They are slow, but necessary for certain effects in games to work right.

* Disable slow effects: these are other effects, known to be slow, which have a (usually much lower-quality) alternative faster implementation, or can be skipped. Checking this option will skip these effects.

* Rendering mode: when set to "Skip buffer effects", a large class of effects will be skipped. "Skip buffer effects" also means block transfers cannot work, and will disable some "slow effects" too. However, some games rely heavily on buffer effects and will only display black with this setting.

-[Unknown]
12-31-2015, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2015 09:55 AM by S.S.R.)
Hey guys i have the best setting for max speed for ppsspp gold v1.1.1 android. the name of video is best setting for ppsspp gold v1.1.1(latest version) by sumit singh on you tube

you can also free download the latest version of ppsspp gold in descrition of the video.
01-01-2016, 01:49 AM
(12-31-2015 09:51 AM)S.S.R Wrote:  Hey guys i have the best setting for max speed for ppsspp gold v1.1.1 android. the name of video is best setting for ppsspp gold v1.1.1(latest version) by sumit singh on you tube

you can also free download the latest version of ppsspp gold in descrition of the video.

Hmm, what device are you using and will these settings work well with mid range to lower end devices?
01-01-2016, 09:22 AM
i am using i ball andi 3.5kke genius with 250mb ram and ppsspp is working great i have tried games like naruto all parts ,dbz all parts and bof3 and they are running with these setting.
01-06-2016, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2016 12:17 AM by RedLotus.)
hi I don't where to ask this question. But I'm running problem on my ppsspp I can run games fine yesterday but today I cant see in game text. everything else running great I'm play the game normal but I cant see the in game text, Can someone help me?

(01-06-2016 11:32 PM)RedLotus Wrote:  hi I don't where to ask this question. But I'm running problem on my ppsspp I can run games fine yesterday but today I cant see in game text. everything else running great I'm play the game normal but I cant see the in game text, Can someone help me?

I try everything so don't know what do? Sad
01-25-2016, 01:42 AM
any recommendations to increase performance for sound purposes?
I'm running God of war, ghost of sparta, and although the graphics are pretty OK overall, there are some sound glitches, crackling.
01-29-2016, 01:27 AM
(01-25-2016 01:42 AM)PEPEESEESEPEPE Wrote:  any recommendations to increase performance for sound purposes?
I'm running God of war, ghost of sparta, and although the graphics are pretty OK overall, there are some sound glitches, crackling.

Have you tried using the autoframeskipping option? That helps a lot with the sound. You can try some of the speed hacks as well. What's your device by the way?
01-30-2016, 04:10 AM
(01-29-2016 01:27 AM)LG Fanatic Wrote:  
(01-25-2016 01:42 AM)PEPEESEESEPEPE Wrote:  any recommendations to increase performance for sound purposes?

Have you tried using the autoframeskipping option? That helps a lot with the sound. You can try some of the speed hacks as well. What's your device by the way?

I'm using an nvidia shield android TV.
01-30-2016, 10:09 PM
Wow. I'm surprised that the Shield TV is having trouble properly emulating sound for that game. Maybe this issue is specific to this game? Do you have this sound issue with other psp games?
01-31-2016, 01:00 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2016 01:01 AM by [Unknown].)
That game is one of the most challenging to emulate.

But, with moderate settings (e.g. not high render resolution, no texture scaling, etc.) I would expect it to run better.

"Sound problems" are not usually sound problems. If you turn on FPS display, and you see you're not getting 100% speed, then you're ALSO not getting 100% audio. This will sound terrible. You need more frameskipping so that the audio is played smoothly while it's waiting for the drawing to finish... games only generate audio each frame, so if frames are taking LONGER than one frame to draw, there won't be enough audio to play.

Code:
When speed is OK:
+----+----+----+----+
|**  |**  |**  |**  | <-- drawing
|++++|++++|++++|++++| <-- audio
+----+----+----+----+
  ^ 1 frame

When speed is NOT OK:
+----+----+----+----+
|*******  |*******  | <-- drawing
|++++     |++++     | <-- audio
+----+----+----+----+
     ^ OH NO, it is too slow
        ^ The game only created one frame of audio though

So you have to maintain reasonable settings for the game to get proper sound.

-[Unknown]
02-16-2016, 02:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2016 03:00 AM by chaosblade02.)
I haven't read the entire topic, but I recently installed PPSSPP on my Motorola Moto E quad core ($80 phone). The only game I've tried on it currently is FFT: Lion wars. I got it running great. The game with default settings ran 60-80% speed during battles most of the time, but I put the frame skip setting to 3 and it runs 100% speed now. The speed up toggle also works just fine. I messed around with a bunch of settings people recommended I toggle on/off and none of them made the game run any better. Frame skip was the only thing that worked. 100% speed by skipping 3 frames is still a whole lot smoother than sub 100% speed with no frame skip, can't be too picky on smart phones IMO. Doesn't run as good as on PC, but I wasn't expecting this to even work on an $80 phone, so I'm happy with the performance I'm getting. The touch screen controls aren't really suited for precision imputs. Like there is no way I could play a game like Monster Hunter or FF type 0 with the touch screen without dropping tons of inputs.

I had another account on these forums, but I can't even remember the username, let alone the password, so I made another one. It was an account in good standing, not banned.