Thread Rating:
  • 14 Votes - 4.36 Average
PPSSPP options explained
11-06-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: PPSSPP options explained
I'm not sure what it means either, and my guesses go in various directions.

It could refer to mere visual playback of picture snapshots taken during gameplay, with the 'frequency' specifying either the snapshot frequency at playback or a frequency for automatic making of snapshots during gameplay.

But a more advanced functionality would allow a true rewind of the game to previous states, by taking savestate snapshots automatically during gameplay, using the specified frequency. (Obviously a rather low frequency, to avoid overflowing the storage space...)

I did find some other comments about a 'Rewind' feature which does seem to relate to savestates, and with some new such feature added to the UI just a few days ago.

In v0.9.5-139, the menu entry for this feature has a default value of zero (= Off) and a warning comment simply saying "mem hog", which implies that we're dealing with automatic savestates held in CPU RAM (at least for caching). Since there was no storage path specified I assume that these savestates are just in temporary storage per session.

So I think I've deduced the purpose of the feature, though some of its usage still remains unclear. This includes both what precise effect any number other than zero for that setting would have, as well as whatever method we can use to access these 'memory snapshots' (the true rewind operation).

Best regards: dlanor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2013, 01:47 PM
(11-06-2013 11:04 AM)dlanor Wrote:  I'm not sure what it means either, and my guesses go in various directions.

It could refer to mere visual playback of picture snapshots taken during gameplay, with the 'frequency' specifying either the snapshot frequency at playback or a frequency for automatic making of snapshots during gameplay.

But a more advanced functionality would allow a true rewind of the game to previous states, by taking savestate snapshots automatically during gameplay, using the specified frequency. (Obviously a rather low frequency, to avoid overflowing the storage space...)

I did find some other comments about a 'Rewind' feature which does seem to relate to savestates, and with some new such feature added to the UI just a few days ago.

In v0.9.5-139, the menu entry for this feature has a default value of zero (= Off) and a warning comment simply saying "mem hog", which implies that we're dealing with automatic savestates held in CPU RAM (at least for caching). Since there was no storage path specified I assume that these savestates are just in temporary storage per session.

So I think I've deduced the purpose of the feature, though some of its usage still remains unclear. This includes both what precise effect any number other than zero for that setting would have, as well as whatever method we can use to access these 'memory snapshots' (the true rewind operation).

so its some sort of an "Autosave" right?
i hope some dev, explain it.

Reality is a Lovely Place, But i Wouldn't Wanna Live There..
• • gLoBe ~
11-07-2013, 07:48 PM
(11-07-2013 01:47 PM)globe94 Wrote:  so its some sort of an "Autosave" right?

Yes, that's how I see it.

Quote:i hope some dev, explain it.

Hopefully someone will, as the feature won't be very useful otherwise.
At least not for the average non-tech user.

But perhaps it's mainly intended as a debugging tool for other programmers...
And they can find the details on how to use it in the source code.
(I might have a look there myself later...)

11-29-2013, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2013 09:19 PM by TheDax.)
As of v0.9.5-752-gd254fbf, PPSSPP now emulates a PSP Slim (PSP-2000) by default, with 64 MB of RAM. This behaviour can be changed in the ini file as follows:

Code:
[SystemParam]
PSPModel = 1

1 = PSP Slim (PSP-2000) with 64 MB RAM (new behaviour)
0 = PSP Fat (PSP-1000) with 32 MB RAM (old behaviour)

So what's the point you ask? Some games require a PSP-2000 for multiplayer or other features, and some homebrew take advantage of the extra memory.

Old savestates will continue to work, but the model will be forced to PSP-1000, so if you made a savestate in a game that needs a PSP-2000 for something, I highly suggest making an in-game save and creating a new savestate so you don't get errors or messages about not using a Slim PSP if you then go to try those features.

Also, HD Remaster games ignore the model setting, and will not be affected by the RAM size.

Edit: On Android, we force PSP-1000 by default for now, because PSP-2000's causing black screens. Need to investigate why..

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
12-09-2013, 11:27 PM
why the default settings of the latest build using "Fast Memory(unstable)" [enable] and "Mipmapping" [disable] ?

Any explaination for this ?
12-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Fast Memory defaults to on now because for a lot of games, it's actually not that unstable anymore. Mipmapping is off, because it can cause graphics glitches when it's on (or it did in the past).

Anyway, as of v0.9.6-18-g5a8e12c, an option's been added which lets you change the emulated PSP's firmware version. The only real reason to change it is to be able to run homebrew that check for specific firmware versions, but it was a simple enough thing to add. Commercial games don't care what firmware version you have, as long as the functionality they require exists in the kernel/HLE.

Here's how to use it:

1. Under SystemParam, you'll likely notice an option called PSPFirmwareVersion. By default it's "150", meaning firmware version 1.50/1,50. Simply remove the decimal marker from the firmware version and add it after the equals sign. For example, if you want to emulate 5.50, simply write it like this:

Code:
[SystemParam]
PSPFirmwareVersion = 550

Or, if you want to emulate 3.71:
Code:
[SystemParam]
PSPFirmwareVersion = 371

The highest you should probably go is 660, for 6.60.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
01-06-2014, 11:14 AM
I followed these instructions:

Making logs (useful for debugging/repporting)

How to create a PPSSPP log:
In the main PPSSPP folder where the PPSSPPWindows.exe is Make a folder called USER, inside that folder you just created, make a new folder called Logs.

Now start up emulator with a game running in there, once the emulator has stopped either by you closing it or it crashing, check inside the logs folder, open the ppsspp.log file with notepad or wordpad, copy & paste that to:

'Pastebin.com' or If this is a very large file, compress this log with a compression program like Winzip, or Winrar and upload the file to Mediafire, then copy & paste that address it gives you onto this forum under the correct gaming thread, where it will be noted & viewed by the developers.

But I get no log file on that directory and the "enable dubug logging" in the options is enabled...what am I doing wrong? Should I use the PPSSPPdebug.exe? But when I try to start it it tells me that the msvcp100d.dll is missing...
01-06-2014, 03:42 PM
All you should need to do is enable debug logging and then run in settings and then run the InfoLog file and it will creat a log for you. You could also enable compatibility server reports.
01-06-2014, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 04:21 PM by psennerman.)
Nothing to do...are you sure that the directories must be named USER/Logs (Logs directory inside USER directory) and put in the main directory of ppsspp? (for me it is ppsspp9.6.2)

OK, I was always checking in that directory and didn't notice that using the InfoLog.bat it creates the log DIRECTLY in the main directory...someone should update the information at the beginning of these post because they must be out-dated Wink
01-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Ah, seems the method I tried doesn't work on the official release sorry about that. Try the latest development build available for your version of windows here: http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

Not only will logging work with the method I described above but it also has many fixes to problems that exist in the official release so it might solve whatever problem you are having.
01-06-2014, 11:47 PM
in the latest build the 300% speed hack still doesn't work
when i try to set it to 300% it sets itself to 75%
01-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Can someone explain what these new settings does exactly?

"Lazy texture caching (speedup)"
"Retain changed textures (speedup, mem hog)"

Explain what it does and if change something in the graphics (for example, if remove some effect).

Thx!

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
01-08-2014, 05:57 PM
@GuilhermeGS2 you can check performance thread but there is not much info about it.

PC: AMD Athlon II X250, GeForce 8600 GT, 2Gb RAM, Win 7 SP1 32bit
Android:
Xperia mini pro 2.3.4
Nexus 7 2012 4.4.x
01-08-2014, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 06:13 PM by TheDax.)
The first one (lazy texture caching) makes PPSSPP go back to the old behaviour of caching less often, which causes those annoying text pop-in "glitches" in games like Danganronpa and Growlanser, or other graphical oddities (2D characters repeating frames when walking, etc.) when it's on. When it's off, it does the caching more often at the cost of some performance, but has fewer/no text glitches and fewer/no texture glitches caused by it.

The second option (retain texture changes) is primarily for one game only, Popolocrois, which has its speed roughly doubled when it's on. This option is a bit beyond my knowledge level, but it basically acts as a secondary texture cache, which helps that one game.

If I'm wrong, [Unknown], please correct me, this is how I understand the two options.

01-09-2014, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 10:45 PM by GuilhermeGS2.)
Thank you TheDax!! Smile

+1 rep.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro