Thread Rating:
  • 13 Votes - 4.38 Average
CwCheat Support
02-22-2016, 12:14 AM
RE: CwCheat Support
(02-21-2016 11:33 PM)greaterfiend Wrote:  
(08-15-2015 08:17 PM)oarphishmoe Wrote:  I've spent the last day and a half trying to figure out how to get cheats working for War of the Lions. I've read basically every single topic on this forum and still can't figure it out. So this is my last resort.
I open up the main folder, go to memstick, PSP, cheats, ULUS10297 and it opens up the folder with all the cheats that I have copied and pasted from this forum.
I then go to settings and enable cheats but I see no 'reset cheats' button or anything. I restart the emulator and look again and there is nothing. No cheats or anything. Just the 'enable cheats' button.

Also, I keep hearing about .ini files and I see none of them either. Do cheats not work for this version? If I have to download an older version will it erase my save files of the game?
It seemed very simple at first but I feel like I've tried everything that I've seen from videos, posts, step by step instructions, etc, and it's all to no avail.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I am having the same issue that I have bolded, though in my case it's for Ragnarok Tactics. I did make several copies of the .ini files because I don't know what coding to save it under. The 4 types it gives me are ANSI, Unicode, Unicode big endian, and UTF-8. Do I have to save under a specific coding, or did I do something wrong in the process before this? I copied the codes from the forums here (I'd post link but it won't let me), and it says all of them but 1 work fine, but I try to enable cheats, I go back in and I don't see a reset cheats button. I copied them to the .ini file that ppsspp makes when you start the game, or one of the copies I made. After starting the game and pressing ESC to bring up the pause menu, I enable cheats from there, then go to cheats and all I see is "Back," "Import from cheat.db," and "Enable/Disable all cheats." I can't find the answer in the forums.

Is it possible this is the reason: I do have the free version as I literally have no extra money to get the paid version, but according to the main site there is no difference. I have posted what I see in the cheats menu, this is with cheats enabled and the cheats copied to an .ini file.

Where is the folder that contains PPSSPP and more importantly what operating system are you using? If it is anywhere near the Program Files or the Program Files (x86) folder, you can't actually save new documents or edit old ones in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 (I don't know if it really applies to Windows 7 users). This is due to the protection that is applied to those folders by Windows.

What you are going to have to do is back up the .ini file that the game generates into a writable folder (I suggest the desktop), edit the .ini file through notepad, and copy the file back to where you found it (it should be in memstick/PSP/cheats subset of folders).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2016, 03:45 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2016 03:46 AM by MechaKaiser.)
(02-22-2016 12:14 AM)Sanji Himura Wrote:  
(08-15-2015 08:17 PM)oarphishmoe Wrote:  I've spent the last day and a half trying to figure out how to get cheats working for War of the Lions. I've read basically every single topic on this forum and still can't figure it out. So this is my last resort.
I open up the main folder, go to memstick, PSP, cheats, ULUS10297 and it opens up the folder with all the cheats that I have copied and pasted from this forum.
I then go to settings and enable cheats but I see no 'reset cheats' button or anything. I restart the emulator and look again and there is nothing. No cheats or anything. Just the 'enable cheats' button.

Also, I keep hearing about .ini files and I see none of them either. Do cheats not work for this version? If I have to download an older version will it erase my save files of the game?
It seemed very simple at first but I feel like I've tried everything that I've seen from videos, posts, step by step instructions, etc, and it's all to no avail.

I am having the same issue that I have bolded, though in my case it's for Ragnarok Tactics. I did make several copies of the .ini files because I don't know what coding to save it under. The 4 types it gives me are ANSI, Unicode, Unicode big endian, and UTF-8. Do I have to save under a specific coding, or did I do something wrong in the process before this? I copied the codes from the forums here (I'd post link but it won't let me), and it says all of them but 1 work fine, but I try to enable cheats, I go back in and I don't see a reset cheats button. I copied them to the .ini file that ppsspp makes when you start the game, or one of the copies I made. After starting the game and pressing ESC to bring up the pause menu, I enable cheats from there, then go to cheats and all I see is "Back," "Import from cheat.db," and "Enable/Disable all cheats." I can't find the answer in the forums.

Is it possible this is the reason: I do have the free version as I literally have no extra money to get the paid version, but according to the main site there is no difference. I have posted what I see in the cheats menu, this is with cheats enabled and the cheats copied to an .ini file.

Where is the folder that contains PPSSPP and more importantly what operating system are you using? If it is anywhere near the Program Files or the Program Files (x86) folder, you can't actually save new documents or edit old ones in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 (I don't know if it really applies to Windows 7 users). This is due to the protection that is applied to those folders by Windows.

What you are going to have to do is back up the .ini file that the game generates into a writable folder (I suggest the desktop), edit the .ini file through notepad, and copy the file back to where you found it (it should be in memstick/PSP/cheats subset of folders).

I have the bolded problem too, but I put all my cheat files on my PSP. The ones I extracted are still on my Windows 7 cpu, but I looked through the files on my PSP and i cant see an .ini file. Plz help?
02-22-2016, 04:17 AM
(02-22-2016 03:45 AM)MechaKaiser Wrote:  

I have the bolded problem too, but I put all my cheat files on my PSP. The ones I extracted are still on my Windows 7 cpu, but I looked through the files on my PSP and i cant see an .ini file. Plz help?

Please clarify, are you using an actual PSP? If not, you need to create a cheats folder in the PSP folder and insert the .ini files into that folder.
02-22-2016, 04:21 AM
(02-22-2016 04:17 AM)Sanji Himura Wrote:  
(02-22-2016 03:45 AM)MechaKaiser Wrote:  

Please clarify, are you using an actual PSP? If not, you need to create a cheats folder in the PSP folder and insert the .ini files into that folder.

Srry bout that, yes Im using a PSP 1001.
02-22-2016, 03:52 PM
(02-22-2016 04:21 AM)MechaKaiser Wrote:  
(02-22-2016 03:45 AM)MechaKaiser Wrote:  I have the bolded problem too, but I put all my cheat files on my PSP. The ones I extracted are still on my Windows 7 cpu, but I looked through the files on my PSP and i cant see an .ini file. Plz help?

There could be a distinct possibility that your codes are simply not compatible (as odd as that sounds).

If memory serves me correctly, codes designed for the PPSSPP are a tad bit different than the codes designed for cwcheat software for the PSP. When I was trying to unlock Symphony of the Night for the Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles game, I tried several different codes that actually did not work for the PPSSPP, that I suspect may work for PSP.

That isn't to say that I don't have a working theory on how to get the codes to work. I have to ask, when you play another game using cwcheats, does the file that it generates is a .ini file?
02-26-2016, 04:53 PM
(02-22-2016 03:52 PM)Sanji Himura Wrote:  
(02-22-2016 04:21 AM)MechaKaiser Wrote:  
(02-22-2016 03:45 AM)MechaKaiser Wrote:  I have the bolded problem too, but I put all my cheat files on my PSP. The ones I extracted are still on my Windows 7 cpu, but I looked through the files on my PSP and i cant see an .ini file. Plz help?

There could be a distinct possibility that your codes are simply not compatible (as odd as that sounds).

If memory serves me correctly, codes designed for the PPSSPP are a tad bit different than the codes designed for cwcheat software for the PSP. When I was trying to unlock Symphony of the Night for the Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles game, I tried several different codes that actually did not work for the PPSSPP, that I suspect may work for PSP.

That isn't to say that I don't have a working theory on how to get the codes to work. I have to ask, when you play another game using cwcheats, does the file that it generates is a .ini file?

I honestly don't know anything about a .ini file. What I do know is that I downloaded the Cheat Database 2010 version when i downloaded cwcheat, and when i used it, it had cheats for Crisis Core but not Dissidia or Phantasy Star Portable, and i deleted all the cheats from a file marked CHEAT.db and added the ones I found from other sites (mainly this one) for those games, and still no change. Ive checked through my PSP after connecting it to my cpu, and there is no mention of a .ini file in the seplugins folder and sub folders, the PSP file or anywhere.
03-19-2016, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2016 11:21 AM by vnctdj.)
Question RE: CwCheat Support
(06-24-2015 08:37 PM)JorgeFFC Wrote:  I've saved a big package of cheats for PSP using CWCheat, here's my actual pack with all codes i could find over the internet.

It's a looong list, and i'm lazy to check every one of them, you can open the editor and manually search the codes you want to use on the emulator, i never used it so i dunno how to activate them on emulator... but example of codes for Digimon World Re-Digitize(JP or translated)
Infinite Life Points(Those 3 Hearts), Digimon Never Die of Old, Max Money, Infinite SP, Easy Critical on Special, None Mistakes at training, Never Hungry, No Curse/Virus, Max Curse, Infinite HP/MP, Time Countrol Code(Square+Left = Stop, Square + Right = Add 1 a little faster than normal, Square+Up = Fast Forward, Square+Down = Rewind time[can't rewind to the last day]), etc.

hogy kell beálitani ezeket??? hogy a játék bevegye ???

hova kell be illeszteni hogy a játékoknál müködjenek???

Edit by vnctdj : Please speak in English when you are not in the international sub-forum.
03-20-2016, 05:07 AM

M'kay, so I apologize in advance if this has already been asked & answered elsewhere within this thread - I honestly DID look through as many of the 70 pages as I could handle! (Learned quite a bit in the process, too :+)

I will limit my questions to 2 (related) ones:
-As opposed to changing to the "older" psp 1000 setting to fix code issues, would it be equally as effective to convert the codes THEMSELVES? I realize that's a little effort than "point-n-click", but I kinda assume the newer psp setting has some advantages.
-I've gathered that this won't "fix" all codes that work on a psp, because of the actual emulator (Thanks, @LunaMoo !!). But does anyone know if ppsspp allocates memory in a standard way, "predictably"?

What I hope to do for a couple games is use a reportedly working cwcheat code as a start --> Find the location in memory of the code's "target" (i.e. health or magic) while playing on ppsspp -->
Tweak the original code so that it is now directed at the correct address within ppsspp...
And, HOPEFULLY, "Bob's your uncle!"... or, "Bob's MY uncle!" Any Britons in the hizzouse that'll help me out with that?

Clearly, my tiny lil' brain is overheating just THEORIZING about this stuff! Hopefully, some peeps will pick up what I'm putting down - I think this method could be very worthwhile for "porting" codes to the emulator. But it's useless if the offset from the psp to ppsspp changes each time you restart a particular game.

Also, don't be afraid to tell me if I am just WAAAAY the heck off the reservation here! Often, I miss the forest for the trees!
03-21-2016, 05:23 AM
@ositobrand starting from v1.1.1-420-g58c9f7d psp mode will not change commercial games memory, so that option should have no effect on cheats compatibility in new ppsspp versions, most games wouldn't really care either way.

The only sure thing about psp games allocating their memory is the fact they had a pretty small limit of 24mb so many of them constantly have to clear, load and move things around memory. When some games change "cheat address" every time you restart it, or even between different stages it just means it moves things around where it has a room for it and it has nothing to do with emulation imperfections, same thing would happen on real psp, you can still cheat in such games via pointer codes or better by assembly scripts.

Assuming you know how to make cheats, about correcting them, if you have a mass of simple ones that changes some variables close around each other in memory(which is typical case with cheats made on psp that doesn't work on ppsspp), you can usually just find one and correct all others by the same offset hoping they were all in one block.
Through if you can learn mips asm at least to the point of making cheats with it, it's generally better solution. There are many advantages to that ~ asm cheats are much ligher(with a check to avoid refreshing the code practically free) while still being faster, they also give more freedom to do whatever we need to properly and end up safer, plus the important part here - most of the time will not be affected by emulation quirks and continue to work same way between different emulator versions or even real hardware.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
03-26-2016, 10:52 AM
I assume that ositobrand is referencing my guide, so I can take over from here.

I have created the guide with the direct assumption that "codes stay where they are". In other words, every time you search through a particular ROM in ZSNES, for example, the assumption for "Dynamic Memory" (the term that I used in the guide) didn't exist in those games. Heck, not even when you are searching through PS1 titles (via Gameshark 3.2) did Dynamic memory exist when searching for codes. It is only through newer consoles and the PSP did any of that business need to be accounted for.

That said, anyone with decent skill can create cwcheats for games with dynamic memory, as LunaMoo pointed out, with pointers. It is just simply beyond my skill set.
04-11-2016, 01:40 AM
Dang!!! I need a bug fix for when I "fat-thumb" while typing and delete my post! Or I need shorter posts :+)

Wanted to say "thanks" again to @LunaMoo and @Sanji Hamuri... For taking the time to write ANY advice/tips in this forum, and especially for taking the time to answer my rook questions!

I've actually been learning a lot about cheats, ppsspp, and modern computing in general. My interest in learning has fast overtaken my interest in playing the games! (Not sure if that's a good or bad thing!?!?)

I'm not yet to the point of REALLY getting into assembly, but I certainly see why that's the way to go. And I plan on exploring that in the future. For now, I have to say that each bit of information is valuable to my progress (just knowing that PSP "model" makes no difference to the addressing is like a free check mark on my list, even though my context for wondering that now would be far different from when I asked).

So for me, it's back to my ppsspp, cheat engine, hex calculator, process explorer, paper, pencils, abacus, stone tablet, and defibrillator to learn a little more...
But for ANYONE who has taken the time to help teach myself and all the other baby birds to fly, I encourage you to stop for a moment and give yourself a big pat on the back!
04-11-2016, 02:26 AM
(04-11-2016 01:40 AM)ositobrand Wrote:  Dang!!! I need a bug fix for when I "fat-thumb" while typing and delete my post! Or I need shorter posts :+)

Wanted to say "thanks" again to @LunaMoo and @Sanji Hamuri... For taking the time to write ANY advice/tips in this forum, and especially for taking the time to answer my rook questions!

I've actually been learning a lot about cheats, ppsspp, and modern computing in general. My interest in learning has fast overtaken my interest in playing the games! (Not sure if that's a good or bad thing!?!?)

I'm not yet to the point of REALLY getting into assembly, but I certainly see why that's the way to go. And I plan on exploring that in the future. For now, I have to say that each bit of information is valuable to my progress (just knowing that PSP "model" makes no difference to the addressing is like a free check mark on my list, even though my context for wondering that now would be far different from when I asked).

So for me, it's back to my ppsspp, cheat engine, hex calculator, process explorer, paper, pencils, abacus, stone tablet, and defibrillator to learn a little more...
But for ANYONE who has taken the time to help teach myself and all the other baby birds to fly, I encourage you to stop for a moment and give yourself a big pat on the back!

It isn't the fact that it makes no difference, it is just what decides what number to add to find the end address when using cheat engine.

That said, thank you.
04-11-2016, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2023 02:07 AM by LunaMoo.)
I don't feel good with guides myself, but made a few simple scripts to aid people with cwcheat creation using Cheat Engine + ppsspp on windows.

If you never used it before, start by going to Edit->Settings->Scan Settings and activate "MEM_MAPPED" otherwise CE will fail to find PSP user memory to mess with;p.
Also if you never created even most basic cheat or anything alike, check Help->Cheat Engine Tutorial and pass at least a few interactive lessons before continuing.

Now assuming you know how to make basic cheats, this shows the order of which options you want to activate in my cheat table:

1) Opens PPSSPP process inside CE,
2) Finds PSP User memory inside PPSSPP,
3) Limits scan range to 24mb starting from User Memory(you will want to manually increase "stop" in scan range in HD remasters, prototypes and some homebrew).

With that setup, you searches will be much quicker as limited to psp user memory aka portion of psp ram available for game, it will also avoid finding duplicates as PPSSPP does kep a few memory mirrors which you shouldn't even look at.

Now once you find some values that can be used for simple cheats, or if you're more advanced user and want to pass the addresses you found into PPSSPP Disassembly, select one or more cheat entries on your cheat table and use:
- "Select cheat entry and click on the square left from this text to convert address"
Doing so will print out information needed for cwcheat creation and if all you want is simple cheat, it will actually make them, for example if you select a cheat entry with description "Money", at address "0A2A1234", using 4 byte value set to "1000000" this would print following information:
Code:
CE: 000000000A2A1234, CWC: 002A1234, Dissassembly: 08AA1234, simple CWCheat:
_C0 Money
_L 0x202A1234 0x000F4240
Supported value type: byte, 2 bytes, 4 bytes, float(also hexadecimal).
=====================
Note:
Simple cheats like that will not work in games with dynamic memory allocation for which you will have to learn how to use pointers or learn MIPS to write more advanced cheats, there are lots of sources all around the net to learn such stuff, just google for it.

If you think you are an advanced user already just remember that PSP used different architecture than PC's, so don't use CE debugging features in PPSSPP nor any other emulator, it's great tool, but it's usage for emulators in general is limited to basic search and maybe some lua scripting, for more advanced stuff you'll have to use emulators built-in debugging features. Also one last note - if you will ever want to find psp opcodes in hexadecimal via cheat engine(was useful for me when making some 60fps patches and other stuff like that), make sure to switch to interpreter or IR interpreter in ppsspp tools->dev tools-> cpu core, otherwise you'll not find everything since CE will see "JIT'ed" code.
=====================

Last, and frankly least there's also an option called: "Hide CE scan UI (just for visibility with lots of entries)" - again does what it says, it's nice when you have lots of cheat entries and not enough space on the screen.

"PSP memory in CE" entry is checked by other scripts so don't modify it in any way. It should always show value of 0 since it points to user memory and games load at +0x4000 offset.

Update: I created a github repo with latest update as the forum's pretty dead:
PPSSPP Cheat Table

Download:
.7z  PPSSPP.7z (Size: 6.91 KB / Downloads: 1644)
Edit: Updated for 1.12.3+ versions(no idea when it broke)
Important: Activate new "Win 10 bug workaround(activate before anything else) avoids "???" on value change" before attaching to PPSSPP, might also help older windows versions, I just recently started using 10 more often and it was retarded;].
Reminder: requires CE 6.5+ and fairy recent PPSSPP, currently script is updated and tested on v1.3-943-g1dc95e6 and a bunch of earlier/legacy scripts are included as well starting from PPSSPP v1.2.2.

You can get latest Cheat Engine from it's official download page. Just note that CE installer sometimes comes with ads that propose you to install some third party apps, so read what you're actually installing instead of accepting everything, or pick the version without installer which is also linked there(just with smaller letters;p).

Something I forgot to mention above - NEVER freeze any values you find in PSP memory with CE, doing so will instantly break stuff and you'll see ?? instead of value.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
06-05-2016, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2016 11:02 PM by galant.)
Guys, how do you open the pause menu to access the cheat menus? I can't seem to open them... I'm using PPSSPP 1.2.2-658-gce8d2be. Smile

Hope you can help.
06-05-2016, 11:45 PM
Esc key, sir.