Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Multi-core
09-05-2014, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2014 05:38 PM by farahjr.)
Multi-core
Hi there.

Came to this because i have tried almost eveything that is possible to triger all core on Nexus 5. It have 4 cores but use only 2 for emulating games. My Digimon Adventure can't be emulated. When i first saw the option "Display recolution HW" i tought that i should solve my problem as Nexus runs on 1080P BUT don't. I just got the graphic to get uglt and a litle increase on FPS but not so much. I really believe that full trigering cores sould solve this. THe mainly reason i have bought Nexus 5 was for PPSSPP. It's really sad.

Its playable on some parts with about 200% but others falls to 40% emulation.

The thing is that I would like to know if You guys know about this issue and if there is any work around that or if You know any config combo that should solve this.

I already tried the option of multi-core on system config of PPSSPP but it doesn't do the job. None of the multi-core options does it.

Sorry if i have posted on the wrong place i'm just followyng another thread that i found on google but its already closed without any good answer.

I must mention that on my I3 computer it runs with all cores perfectly. It's a very good job done!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2014, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2014 08:28 PM by Bigpet.)
RE: Multi-core
The multithreading option only runs 2 threads (and even that's not always faster than running on 1 thread because of the additional synchronization work involved). Because there is not that much work to be done independently of one another. The PSP itself uses something called cooperative multi-threading that allows multiple threads of execution but those threads aren't made to run in parallel, they're made to run sequentially and the threads themselves decide precisely when to switch away. So the threads on a PSP are not independent of one-another.

If you want to use more threads you can turn on software-rendering. It may not make games go faster, but you it'll use all your cores.

Btw. this goes for both the Desktop as well as the Android versions (except there are of course Desktop PCs fast enough to render in software mode).
09-08-2014, 11:17 AM
(09-05-2014 08:27 PM)Bigpet Wrote:  The multithreading option only runs 2 threads (and even that's not always faster than running on 1 thread because of the additional synchronization work involved). Because there is not that much work to be done independently of one another. The PSP itself uses something called cooperative multi-threading that allows multiple threads of execution but those threads aren't made to run in parallel, they're made to run sequentially and the threads themselves decide precisely when to switch away. So the threads on a PSP are not independent of one-another.

If you want to use more threads you can turn on software-rendering. It may not make games go faster, but you it'll use all your cores.

Btw. this goes for both the Desktop as well as the Android versions (except there are of course Desktop PCs fast enough to render in software mode).

So the others cores of my PC must be from the video rendering because I have no off-board vídeo card.

If that is the case....I will never be able to play this game as what we learned here is that Android devices probably have a separate graphics processor. So I will need to await like forever until someone notice an Adreno that can render well done.

Or may be someking of app that ables You to share the processor and RAM to the graphics chipsets as it happens on my CPU.
09-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Well the other cores may be busy doing things for the GPU driver (like copying data or compiling shaders) or things unrelated to PPSSPP but the actual rendering done by the GPU build into your CPU would typically not show up as CPU load.

Also, most mobile GPUs share their main memory with the CPU (with the exception of a local cache) as far as I know.
09-08-2014, 12:11 PM
(09-08-2014 11:57 AM)Bigpet Wrote:  Well the other cores may be busy doing things for the GPU driver (like copying data or compiling shaders) or things unrelated to PPSSPP but the actual rendering done by the GPU build into your CPU would typically not show up as CPU load.
Are You talking about the Intel I3? If so, Yes it's directly releted to the PPSSPP process i have done all the tests, it really is the rendering because when I alternate on fulll screen to windows mode the cores change role, so the busiest core becames the last instead of the third and the first two never changes because they are the CPU part of the ppsspp I believe.

(09-08-2014 11:57 AM)Bigpet Wrote:  Also, most mobile GPUs share their main memory with the CPU (with the exception of a local cache) as far as I know.

I really don't think that its happen at least on mine. If it was happening so the other 2 cores shouldn't be at 0% use and the free RAM shoudn't be more then 50% and it is.

I fell happy but bad at the same time.

I will try to come with some print screens later.
09-08-2014, 12:20 PM
(09-08-2014 12:11 PM)farahjr Wrote:  I really don't think that its happen at least on mine. If it was happening so the other 2 cores shouldn't be at 0% use and the free RAM shoudn't be more then 50% and it is.

Sharing memory and sharing computational tasks is not the same thing.
09-08-2014, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2014 04:20 PM by farahjr.)
(09-08-2014 12:20 PM)Bigpet Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 12:11 PM)farahjr Wrote:  I really don't think that its happen at least on mine. If it was happening so the other 2 cores shouldn't be at 0% use and the free RAM shoudn't be more then 50% and it is.

Sharing memory and sharing computational tasks is not the same thing.

But both should consume the RAM. The RAM is not taking great impact when I open PPSSPP like it have on my PC.

Even when I use RAM eater options.