• 23 Votes - 4.17 Average
PPSSPP Symbian Port
06-13-2014, 04:07 PM
RE: PPSSPP Symbian Port
@bhavin192: He is knockout Big Grin

@xsacha: Maybe Thanks Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2014, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2014 07:43 PM by nguenht.)
(06-11-2014 01:56 AM)xsacha Wrote:  I've made a lot of changes to Symbian build process recently. I'd like to know if anyone has noticed anything better or worse so I can improve on it before the 0.9.9 release.

Thanks.

to be honest, the only game i was playing so far was MHFU
and the highest performance was in ver. 0.7.5.2
i posted here before somewhere quite a while ago about the increase in quality of the game, but with all the new versions it became more and more unpayable... and then i got myself a new laptop, so i was able to play mhfu and even mh3rd hd and stopped posting here
today i tried the latest 1149 build and ppsspp crashed after in-game language selection. i tried fiddling with the settings, and oh god, there is a bunch of settings now, i tried "the beginners guide" in the forums to look into all of the settings there (not enough it seems), but the ppsspp keeps crashing on the language selection screen Sad
i don't know what the situation is with other games, but that's what it is with mhfu on my nokia c6-01 (the first-gen symbian^3)

i'd be glad to know if the other games are much more playable compared to before, though

thanks Henrik for ppsspp and xsacha for porting it to symbian!
06-14-2014, 12:10 AM
(06-13-2014 07:42 PM)nguenht Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 01:56 AM)xsacha Wrote:  I've made a lot of changes to Symbian build process recently. I'd like to know if anyone has noticed anything better or worse so I can improve on it before the 0.9.9 release.

Thanks.

to be honest, the only game i was playing so far was MHFU
and the highest performance was in ver. 0.7.5.2
i posted here before somewhere quite a while ago about the increase in quality of the game, but with all the new versions it became more and more unpayable... and then i got myself a new laptop, so i was able to play mhfu and even mh3rd hd and stopped posting here
today i tried the latest 1149 build and ppsspp crashed after in-game language selection. i tried fiddling with the settings, and oh god, there is a bunch of settings now, i tried "the beginners guide" in the forums to look into all of the settings there (not enough it seems), but the ppsspp keeps crashing on the language selection screen Sad
i don't know what the situation is with other games, but that's what it is with mhfu on my nokia c6-01 (the first-gen symbian^3)

i'd be glad to know if the other games are much more playable compared to before, though

Thanks. Can you at try a version before 0.9.8-400 to see if it has gone downhill since then?

Appreciate your tests.
06-15-2014, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2014 06:23 AM by nguenht.)
(06-14-2014 12:10 AM)xsacha Wrote:  Thanks. Can you at try a version before 0.9.8-400 to see if it has gone downhill since then?

Appreciate your tests.

woops! i'm sorry, false alarmBlush
it's not that your builds have some sort of a problem but it's just my phone messing with me: now even my favourite 0.7.5.2 version doesn't work for whatever reasonAngry
duuuuhhh

thanks Henrik for ppsspp and xsacha for porting it to symbian!
06-23-2014, 09:21 PM
In the last builts u removed pretty large files and now games cant boot. Please cheek this
06-27-2014, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2014 11:46 AM by xsacha.)
(06-23-2014 09:21 PM)forevertr3 Wrote:  In the last builts u removed pretty large files and now games cant boot. Please cheek this

Which files were removed?
The latest version is working perfectly on my device so I don't think this is the case.

When you posted, it may not have been working due to the memmap freeze issue. This has been fixed.

The decrease in size of the .sis file from 9.9MB to 9.1MB is due to the newer gcc4.8.3 compiler being used instead of 4.6.3.
07-14-2014, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 05:47 PM by [email protected].)
hello guys,has someone has test persona 3 and ys series? on nokia n8?
if work can someone tell me what the best setting?
07-24-2014, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2014 04:10 PM by Minamoto-kun.)
I have one question =) why newer versions 0.9.0 (0.9.1-0.9.9) exits the emulator lasts 10 seconds?...because 0.9.0 it instantly play.

I'm in here than out of ...Fonts not correctly loaded in the save/load game, so instead the black squares of ...It should not be hard to fix?
07-25-2014, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2014 03:02 PM by xsacha.)
To be honest not many speed improvements are coming. 0.99 was just released and it's using the latest code, an updated GCC 4.8.3 compiler that I compiled from scratch, a newly tuned SDK that I updated and almost the entire JIT is done.
VFPU ops still need to be done but that's about it.

I'm quite happy with the speed you get in games. Remember you are emulating 333mhz mips with 1300mhz armv6.
Perhaps video and audio can still be improved though.

Make sure you test options like Timer Hack (which I made especially for Symbian) and also CPU clock.
Important thing to remember about Timer Hack, it runs the game at 60 VPS all the time. Although, it won't tell you this in the speed (in top right). So it might seem like it is going same speed, but try to play the game and it should be much smoother and faster.

I haven't figured out why it takes so long to exit now.
Edit: I think I fixed the exit taking too long in v0.9.9-24
Seems to exit instantly now.
07-27-2014, 05:01 PM
(07-25-2014 12:31 PM)xsacha Wrote:  I haven't figured out why it takes so long to exit now.
Finally Wink Smile
btw what was that reason ?

Phone: Nokia 701 FP2
Intel Core i5-3337U | 4GB RAM | 2GB AMD Radeon HD 8730M | Windows 8.1 x64
07-28-2014, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 06:07 AM by xsacha.)
(07-27-2014 05:01 PM)bhavin192 Wrote:  
(07-25-2014 12:31 PM)xsacha Wrote:  I haven't figured out why it takes so long to exit now.
Finally Wink Smile
btw what was that reason ?

thread->quit() is only for threads that check if quit was requested.
I had to use thread->terminate()

(07-27-2014 04:17 PM)Minamoto-kun Wrote:  Yes, thanks ...I knew about this, but on the first generation does not work "timer hack" in new versions ((Xsacha please help, I have version 0.9.9-24 Smartphone tightly hangs when you exit the emulator now ((better make it, please
will you be able to remove all fonts in languages other than English, making a special version ... They eat a lot of memory. Please, it really increases the emulation speed in 3 times, on the first generation of ...You do this after the release of version 1.0? You promised six months ago, please. This is very necessary.

I figured out what the problem is, I have a first generation Smartphone Symbian ^ 3 (
version 0.9.9 running faster than 0.7.5, you said use.
However, the problem with the graphics card emulation speed decreases to 3-4 times, because the load on the fonts and graphics memory too high (40 languages).
Why don't you remove them from the interface at all. You are welcome.
I'm on a programmer now and learn languages, but my knowledge is not enough even for that. Often the black squares in the charts because of this problem, in the games. If you remove these fonts and languages (other than English) then everything will work smoothly (at least 3 times). I tested it and am sure of that. You make this version though-after the release of version 1.0? I read that you promised.

I already removed the fonts.. I think more than 6 months ago? It works with all the languages still too because it now uses system fonts. No graphics memory is being eaten up by language fonts anymore. It's just that first-generation devices only have 25MB usable VRAM to start with! Compared to 120MB for second-generation Symbian^3.

How did you test removing languages btw? Since they aren't using graphics memory. Is there something you found that increased the speed?

First generation Symbian ^3 (like N8, C7, E7, X7,.. ) only have 680MHz processor. Best you can hope for is to emulate PSP Minis on that. Tehra Dark Warrior, Fieldrunners, Twin Blades, maybe Jetpack Joyride, ..
The results you get are very good! Smile
07-28-2014, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 10:36 PM by [email protected].)
I tested naruto shippuden ultimate ninja impact on nokia n8 and it worked just fine(not green screen).

settings ;before starting game enable bufferd rendering+stimulate block. & after mission has started switch to non-bufferd+stimulate (un-tick)

frame rate control ; all options un-tick
features ; all un-tick

performance ; all tick except lazy texture caching & retain changed textures.

texture scaling ; all un-tick
texture filtering ; anisotropic=off,texture filtering=nearest
hacks ; all tick except timer hack
cpu clock = 40 or it will take forever to reach gameplay.

I tested same settings on tekken dr and it was a little faster(except clock set 111).
I also applied same settings to xperia e to check if these settings are faster or not,& these setting ARE fast.gameplay of tekken dr with frameskiping 3 IS faster and smoother(on xperia e).
07-29-2014, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 07:33 AM by xsacha.)
(07-28-2014 10:41 AM)Minamoto-kun Wrote:  Just if its inclusion in 0.7.5, the game will be very fast, though not smooth. But new versions nothing happens when I turn on. What is the reason?

Thanks, sorry. I really messed up so much all over ...the first generation of Broadcom's videocore is 3(32MB vRAM), and the second a 4 videocore(128MB vRAM) much stronger. ...That is the difference. operational are not much help. and they have the same processors.Samsung ARMv6. they have two 1000-1300 MHz of ...I have one question remained: why not working "hack the timer" on the first generation, in new versions?

Xsacha please help, I have version 0.9.9-build 34 and 24 Smartphone tightly hangs when you exit the emulator now (freeze) (better make it, please...build 20 normal exit((Maybe first generation freeze.please test in your N8...

Well I made a small change in timer hack from 0.75 to 0.9. The change was that if your VPS was less than 4 (or 3?), timer hack would be disabled. That's so the game isn't running super-fast with 4 updates a second because it wasn't very smooth. Do I understand you prefer the previous behaviour?

Hmm, game shouldn't be freezing. That's no good. Perhaps I should exit the thread 'properly'. That is, use a loop and check if exit is requested and wait on it. It'll made exit a bit slower but it should exit without any issues. This new thread comes at the benefit of improved audio btw (the thread that is causing issues on exit).

I don't have my first-generation Symbian^3 anymore (just a second-generation, 808) so I'm not sure if there is any difference for those devices but I wouldn't expect any. Second-gen just has a newer variant of the same CPU and GPU. Faster, more vram/ram.
07-29-2014, 01:13 PM
like I said before,
* change rendering to bufferd rendering & enable stimulate(below bufferd render) block tranfer.
*when you start level/mission it won't be green but it will be slower
*during level/mission AFTER MISSION START IS DISPLAYED, go to ppsspp settings
*switch to non-bufferd & disable stimulate block transfer.
*continue & enjoy
07-29-2014, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 02:26 PM by [email protected].)
here are some screen shots ;

an-other one ;
frame skiping 1 is enabled and fps=10

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)