Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Performance drop in v0.9.8xxxx
05-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Performance drop in v0.9.8xxxx
I have been using Ppsspp for over a year, and everything was pretty smooth until of recent when I started noticing well pronounced lags in most games that ran fluently on my Galaxy Note 2, even with power saving mode turned on, and frameskip off. It even gets worse when I turn on multithreading which used to be a good speed boost in v0.9.7xxxx. PES 2014 freezes randomly, Soul Calibur drops frames insanely, and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Heroes drops frames too.. Please it would be a good thing if yiu guys can look into the whole issue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2014, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2014 11:23 PM by nex86.)
RE: Performance drop in v0.9.8xxxx
well, the performance drops the more accurate and compatible the emulator gets.
it's the same with pcsx2. earlier pcsx2 versions were faster too but speedhacks like MTVU balanced that out.

I'd wait until they optimized multithreading so multiple cores can be used better, but at the moment it's unstable as hell.
05-26-2014, 12:28 PM
(05-25-2014 11:21 PM)nex86 Wrote:  well, the performance drops the more accurate and compatible the emulator gets.
it's the same with pcsx2. earlier pcsx2 versions were faster too but speedhacks like MTVU balanced that out.

I'd wait until they optimized multithreading so multiple cores can be used better, but at the moment it's unstable as hell.

yeah some pcsx2 build like 4925 ..... can run ps2 game with more speed than the new build 5xxxx

that's because the Gs plugins have now to deal with many thing an process ,

so you well have more performance on old pcsx2 games and more compatibility and games fix on the new version

i m French sry for my English ^_^

Not everyone is an english native speaker.It's fine.
05-26-2014, 02:27 PM
This is why i always backup the best builds i think work fine before upgrading. Avoid future issues by saving older/faster builds...UNTIL there's a major revision. I'm still on 0.9.7
05-26-2014, 06:25 PM
If you can test and find what specific build the performance drop started on, and which one it last didn't happen on, it's possible we may be able to fix it.

-[Unknown]
05-27-2014, 09:56 AM
I know performance drop began when they started optimizing Jit and Multithreading in v0.9.8. Speed has dropped real bad. I have gone back to v0.9.7 and everything's fine once again
05-28-2014, 05:43 AM
Well, for most users and most games, it has not dropped real bad. So most likely it's either something specific to your device, games, or settings. If no one else can reproduce it, no one else is gonna fix it.

If you can tell me which build it started with, and which build last didn't have the problem, I'll look into it.

There were like a thousand changes or something that went into 0.9.8.

-[Unknown]
05-30-2014, 02:31 AM
(05-26-2014 06:25 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  If you can test and find what specific build the performance drop started on, and which one it last didn't happen on, it's possible we may be able to fix it.

-[Unknown]

I was just browsing this forum, and saw this comment. So, I figured why not leave a reply.
I've been using PPSSPP for five months now. I currently am using version 0.9.8611 because anything passed it, the video rendering is beyond messed up on my Android. Ouya, to be exact. Primarily, I play DD012FF, but this has happened with many games I play, from racing, to fighting, to RPG type.
I used DD012FF as my example in a video on YouTube to show what was going on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlL8mfAHc...ANjs9wj_Zg
The messed up part of the vid 0.9.8695. Though the results are the same with newer version. The correct part is 0.9.8611. Showing how the game should be, as with other games. The texture rendering seems to be messed up. I assume the way this was processed was changed, and it's really hurt the games, on Android 4.1 JellyBean. I got a friend with the same OS, same issue I have.
I think both of our devices have the same processor. The Ouya's hardware basically. But his is an actual Android.
I personally think the issue is either on 0.9.8619, or inbetween 0.9.8611 and 0.9.8619 Though with 0.9.8831 I think. The Read framebuffer from CPU and GPU got messed up. It shows the top half of your screen twice. One is normal, and the second is mirrored under it.
I would be more than willing to officially start testing PPSSPP for the Ouya, but I don't know where to begin. Just as something. 0.9.8611 is a good place to start for the Ouya, if it can be updated any further on Ouya.

I hope this wasn't too much babbling.
-1Timestones
05-30-2014, 03:58 AM
"Read framebuffers to memory" is not an option I recommend anyone use. That option causes crashes, game glitches, and severe performance drops.

Anyway, I think you meant these versions:
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/compa...5-g8c11559

You could cut that list in half by testing one additional version. But, I think it's probably this:

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/6115

-[Unknown]
05-30-2014, 10:33 PM
(05-30-2014 03:58 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  "Read framebuffers to memory" is not an option I recommend anyone use. That option causes crashes, game glitches, and severe performance drops.

Anyway, I think you meant these versions:
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/compa...5-g8c11559

You could cut that list in half by testing one additional version. But, I think it's probably this:

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/6115

-[Unknown]

Yup, that would be it. Is there a fix for this? Or is it still a w-i-p?
What would happen if the bufferer was switched back to the previous, but ya kept all the other things you guys changed?
06-05-2014, 09:35 PM
I have been trying numerous builds for some time now, I will be able to pinpoint the build that started the whole issue by the weekend. But in newer builds, performance has improved a bit, but not with multithreading enabled.
06-07-2014, 02:48 PM
General rule for most emulators (well with Dolphin and PCSX2 especially) is that as they get more accurate and better it requires better hardware to run. So it being slow in the new version compared to older ones is most likely the reason that your hardware can't handle it anymore. Someone correct me if this is not what it is going on with this emulator here (PPSSPP).
06-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Well, some games have definitely gotten slower due to emulating some graphical effects better. That's kinda life, especially with a graphics card / device that doesn't cost a ton of money.

But, actually, several games for me have gotten faster, especially since a few versions ago.

-[Unknown]
06-08-2014, 12:19 PM
I have finally found the build responsible for the drop in Multi-threading performance. It is v0.9.8-558-g9164e70. Everything was smooth on v0.9.8-553-g651b33f until v0.9.8-558xxxxxx till date. Games run smooth without multithreading though. But multithreading eliminates minor audio stutter and few lags. I hope this info will be helpful. Thanks.
06-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Yeah, that was expected to make it slower. It more properly synchronizes with the rendering from the CPU, which fixes glitches and improper (low) framerates in a bunch of games. The code actually was trying to synchronize before, but due to a bug, it was failing to.

If you have a compiler, you can try reducing the number 10 here:
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/blob/...e.cpp#L121

It will make the framerate issues worse, but it will make the performance better.

-[Unknown]