Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Android Performance Loss going from .9.6 to .9.7
02-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Android Performance Loss going from .9.6 to .9.7
I definitely took a performance hit going from play store version of 0.9.6* to the current play store version of 0.9.7.2. (I don't side load the incremental versions)

I feel like I'm bitching about a first world problem, but 9.6 ran at pretty much 95-99% perfect for my GS4 for the games I play. As in, it would run full speed almost all the time, with occasional lag/stutter that 1-5% of the time. Audio was the same.

Now I seem to be more at 10-15% or so for the occasional lag/stutter and even worse (~40%?) for audio stutter/chop. The audio is the more annoying part.

I've tried turning on Lazy Texture caching, which I understand was hidden and turned on by default in previous versions, with no noticeable effect. I also tried Low quality splines and I disabled debug logging both of which I never had to try before. Otherwise my config is the same as how it ran optimally in .9.6

Anyone else have this issue? Is there something else I should try other than reverting back to .9.6 or waiting for a new release?

*Sorry, I don't remember what the newest version (0.9.6.X) was on Google Play, can someone point me to the version/build for that?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 03:14 PM
RE: Android Performance Loss going from .9.6 to .9.7
depends on the game, Daxter is now unplayable but many others as good of war, tomb rider, killzone, dead head fred etc are much improved
02-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Yeah Daxter is the only game I've come across so far that has resulted in worse performance. I didn't realise GOW had been improved though. I may try this out.
02-19-2014, 03:58 PM
(02-19-2014 03:14 PM)bassop Wrote:  depends on the game

The primary game I've been playing is Valkyria Chronicles 3 (with the English patch). It was running almost flawlessly in .9.6. I also noticed the exact same issues in Army of Two: 40th Day, but in fairness I did not have that game on my phone until after the .9.7.2 update so I don't know how it runs on .9.6.

I am still playing Persona 3 from time to time, but I can't really test it much at the moment. In a couple minutes of playing, it seems to fair better than the others, but I did notice some audio glitches that I believe were not there before.
02-20-2014, 12:32 AM
What was the final version of 0.9.6 on the play store, before 0.9.7 was released? Was that version 0.9.6.2?

Is the download link for 0.9.6 on the on the download page (http://www.ppsspp.org/files/0_9_6/ppsspp.apk) the newest version of 0.9.6 that was on the play store? If not, where can I get that exact version? I want to downgrade back to what I had to do some testing.

Thanks