Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
WLAN Switch
10-11-2013, 05:18 AM
WLAN Switch
How can I turn it on, or can I turn it on at all?

Some games have "multiplayer" missions that can be played in singleplayer, but require the WLAN Switch to be on, without even connecting to internet.

Cheers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2013, 05:28 AM
RE: WLAN Switch
(10-11-2013 05:18 AM)xCryonic Wrote:  How can I turn it on, or can I turn it on at all?

Some games have "multiplayer" missions that can be played in singleplayer, but require the WLAN Switch to be on, without even connecting to internet.

I don't think there is any WLAN emulation at present, not even a dummy flag.
But it would be a good idea to implement some kind of dummy flag, indicating that WLAN switch is on, even though it is not to be used in any way.

The only problem with this is that the games may then assume that API function calls for using the 'active' WLAN are functional, which they are not. So it could be necessary to also add some dummy API functions which simply return some non-fatal error code when called.

Best regards: dlanor
10-11-2013, 05:28 AM
no multiplayer support atm

please do some search before asking

my english is poor , sorry
10-11-2013, 05:35 AM
(10-11-2013 05:28 AM)SeiRyuu Wrote:  no multiplayer support atm

please do some search before asking

I didn't ask for multiplayer, I asked for WLAN Switch on emulation, dummy flag i.e.
10-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Quote:I didn't ask for multiplayer, I asked for WLAN Switch on emulation, dummy flag i.e.
XCryonic,
even that has been requested, many, many (many) times. A thoroughly search would have gotten you quite a few hits.

I'm sorry, but I can't constantly keep an eye on all the game compatibility threads I started.
Please send a Private Message if you need some more information.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2013, 08:54 AM
(10-11-2013 05:35 AM)xCryonic Wrote:  I didn't ask for multiplayer, I asked for WLAN Switch on emulation, dummy flag i.e.

what's for wlan switch if not for multiplaying ?

and just like Tabman said it has been requested million times before you asking
just be patient for now

my english is poor , sorry
10-11-2013, 11:47 AM
(10-11-2013 08:54 AM)SeiRyuu Wrote:  what's for wlan switch if not for multiplaying ?

In this particular case the dummy WLAN switch flag was only intended to trick certain games into allowing subquests that would be blocked if the game detected WLAN switch as being OFF, even though those subquests do not use any networking.

So it would just be a workaround for a silly limitation those games have.

NB: I'm not nagging for this flag to be implemented, but just clarifying the misunderstanding about its purpose.

10-11-2013, 03:35 PM
I actually don't remember reading about anyone asking for this in particular. If you two can point out threads of someone asking for a WLAN dummy flag and not WLAN emulation it would have helped.
10-11-2013, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2013 03:39 PM by TheDax.)
Quote:The only problem with this is that the games may then assume that API function calls for using the 'active' WLAN are functional, which they are not. So it could be necessary to also add some dummy API functions which simply return some non-fatal error code when called.

This is why there's not even a dummy switch yet. Games go the whole hog once you tell them the switch is on.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
10-12-2013, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2013 04:55 AM by dlanor.)
(10-11-2013 03:39 PM)daxtsu Wrote:  This is why there's not even a dummy switch yet. Games go the whole hog once you tell them the switch is on.

Yes, I assumed that some games would do so, but apparently not all of them, according to the original poster of this thread.

In any case, if all of the API calls are documented then it should be possible to create dummy stubs for them which simpy return a non-crashing error code, telling the calling routine that the function has failed (all networking functions need such error code handling anyway).

This way PPSSPP will not crash even if some game goes wild with the network API calls. The game may crash, of course, but not the emulator.
And even this should only happen once per game and user, since the user will then learn not to activate this feature for a game that can't tolerate it. (Obviously such a dummy WLAN feature needs an enabling option in the settings.)

And this kind of implementation would make those games that the original poster referred to allow the user access to subquests that required the WLAN switch ON, even though they never use any networking.

Again, I'm NOT lobbying for this to be implemented, but merely clarifying how it could be done, without any harmful effects.

But whether it's worthwhile to invest development effort in something like this is another question entirely. (One I'm not delving into here.)

10-12-2013, 05:02 AM
I very briefly dabbled in it(as you might've seen on my Github fork), but it'd require quite a lot of testing on the real PSP to get error codes, what happens when things are/aren't updated, etc..

I got as far as getting MHFU into its online lobby(by yourself) but it errors out after trying to begin a quest.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.