Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best mobile CPU and GPU for PPSSPP?
06-20-2013, 03:09 PM
RE: Best mobile CPU and GPU for PPSSPP?
at now, what is the cheapest phone that is enough strong to run must games fine?Smile
or what cpu and gpu is the at least requirment for games like:
tekken 6, gow, solcalibour and.......

im so hopefull that developer of ppsspp make it multi treath to run smoother,
otherwise i have to buy a new deviceConfused

best regards.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2013, 06:09 PM
(06-20-2013 03:09 PM)313Mhz Wrote:  at now, what is the cheapest phone that is enough strong to run must games fine?Smile

best regards.

No mobile device out there can handle Tekken 6 up to a 100% playable level (consistent 60 VPS without frameskipping) at this moment. None.

Plus, with atrac3+ support added in, the emu has become a bit heavier for mobiles unless you turn off audio for those games.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
06-20-2013, 06:40 PM
(06-20-2013 06:09 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  
(06-20-2013 03:09 PM)313Mhz Wrote:  at now, what is the cheapest phone that is enough strong to run must games fine?Smile

best regards.

No mobile device out there can handle Tekken 6 up to a 100% playable level (consistent 60 VPS without frameskipping) at this moment. None.

Plus, with atrac3+ support added in, the emu has become a bit heavier for mobiles unless you turn off audio for those games.

thanks man.
i think i have to go for sgs3 anyway,
thanks to makers, good job.Smile
06-22-2013, 01:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2013 01:57 AM by Furby.)
On the topic in this thread, are there any plans to get PowerVR or Mali up to speed? I just became painfully aware that all my android devices (And the one I plan to use in the future) use either of these for their GPU, and since my PSP is slowly breaking, I'd like to use them.
06-22-2013, 03:01 AM
(06-22-2013 01:49 AM)Furby Wrote:  On the topic in this thread, are there any plans to get PowerVR or Mali up to speed? I just became painfully aware that all my android devices (And the one I plan to use in the future) use either of these for their GPU, and since my PSP is slowly breaking, I'd like to use them.

Those issues are because of hardware limitations involving those two types of GPUs. There are ways around them but the accuracy and speed issue will always be a problem and there's little space around satisfactory resolutions of those issues. Blame those manufacturers/companies for following a bad/inefficient direction in mobile computing.
06-22-2013, 04:46 AM
(06-22-2013 03:01 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote:  
(06-22-2013 01:49 AM)Furby Wrote:  On the topic in this thread, are there any plans to get PowerVR or Mali up to speed? I just became painfully aware that all my android devices (And the one I plan to use in the future) use either of these for their GPU, and since my PSP is slowly breaking, I'd like to use them.

Those issues are because of hardware limitations involving those two types of GPUs. There are ways around them but the accuracy and speed issue will always be a problem and there's little space around satisfactory resolutions of those issues. Blame those manufacturers/companies for following a bad/inefficient direction in mobile computing.

... That would, of course, be the reason, wouldn't it. Unfortunetly, I'm locked in my choices for other reasons.

However, I am curious: Do these issues only affect 3D rendered games? To be honest, I mostly find myself playing sprite based games (Final Fantasy I, Class of Heroes, Legend of Heroes, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc...), which seem to function visually the same (Bar speed, but I'd expect that) to my laptop, so It wouldn't be so much hurt if I couldn't, say, run Soul Calibur at max, but could pull off the less visually demanding games like those above fine.

Specifically, to give some direction and hopefully pull a less vague answer, I will be getting the Galaxy S4 in the future, and would love to turn it into my PSP replacement, if possible.
06-22-2013, 05:13 AM
(06-20-2013 01:19 PM)threeTH Wrote:  
(06-20-2013 11:33 AM)xsacha Wrote:  Right now, it would be Snapdragon 800 if you can find it. Otherwise Tegra 4.

Feel Exynos 4412 is the fastest,Snapdragon 800 will not necessarily faster【play ppsspp】,

Snapdragon 800 is much faster than Exynos4412.
06-22-2013, 06:45 AM
But I Snapdragon600 (720p resolution) device speed is far lower than Note 2 .Just say ppsspp.
So I do not think the future 800 (1080p) devices have good performance!
We tested some of the phone's speed(ip5,s4,note2,htc one,m2s,n4)Note 2 is the first. why?please help me!
06-22-2013, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2013 07:57 AM by curraja.)
it doesnt have anything to do with cpu or gpu as far as i noticed . i tried ppsspp on several (phones)with and without lowerfull specs starting from LG L3 wich got verry crappy cpu or gpu if it does have any tbh xD and i tried s2/s3 and few xperia phones and honestly it works the same for me.First thing (i tried earlier version of emu about 0.7(forgot build version) since earlier ones doesnt slow so much as current one and load way much faster) so in earlier and current one i noticed several things 1. games boot way much longer (if they ever boot) 2.massive slowdown 3.map glitches in games like dbz bt2 ffd 0-12 khbbs and few more that would be all no more problems Smile p.s i havent got any problems since lastest version with gameplay in any game comparing my earlier build to current one .

Sorry for typos im stoned :/

O hai! Testing everything Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE Android 4.3

O bai! Did you witness my power?
06-22-2013, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2013 09:40 AM by stodag.)
If its got nothin ti do with cpu/gpu.. tgen what does this emulator run off ????????????

sorry for grammer im streight headed..Smile

S TO DA G
06-22-2013, 12:04 PM
(06-22-2013 04:46 AM)Furby Wrote:  Do these issues only affect 3D rendered games? To be honest, I mostly find myself playing sprite based games (Final Fantasy I, Class of Heroes, Legend of Heroes, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc...), which seem to function visually the same (Bar speed, but I'd expect that) to my laptop, so It wouldn't be so much hurt if I couldn't, say, run Soul Calibur at max, but could pull off the less visually demanding games like those above fine.
It affects anything that has to do with textures, vertex shaders and anything that has long instruction words which is more or less everything visualy rendered. Mali is just a no no for PPSSPP.

(06-22-2013 04:46 AM)Furby Wrote:  Specifically, to give some direction and hopefully pull a less vague answer, I will be getting the Galaxy S4 in the future, and would love to turn it into my PSP replacement, if possible.
Replacement is just too much to describe what you'll get. Despite what people may think S4 is -NOT- a crazy powerhouse and also is not really the most ideal device for PPSSPP. Having on top of the fact that it has Mali GPU it makes things really worse, so, you have high possibilities of S4 to have one of the best or generaly good speed but for sure it won't be the best out there and expect issues with it's Mali GPU like forever. In long, I mean really long term you could expect things go a bit better with OGL ES 3.0 but nothing that will get crazy speeds. In my opinion, I'd never buy devices with Power-VR and Mali even without having to consider PPSSPP's compatibility, they are sloppily architectured and have generaly poor support compared to their counterparts.

The best devices out there for PPSSPP are the ones that have Snapdragon 800, like the Korea only version of Galaxy S4.
06-22-2013, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2013 02:40 PM by nex86.)
Just tested PPSSPP on my LG Optimus G (Snapdragon S4 Pro 1.5ghz quad).
Runs slower than on the S3 i9300 (Exynos 4412 1.4ghz quad).

It's not an performance issue because most Android games are running faster on S4 Pro than Exynos 4.
So I think it's a compatiblity issue with PPSSPP.

It wasn't any different on the Xperia Z, which was even slower than Optimus G due to higher resolution.

For now I'd say that Exynos 4 is the best CPU for PPSSPP, even when it's not the fastest for everything else.
06-22-2013, 03:12 PM
I think, beside some grafical bugs, Mali GPU are faster than other for PPSSPP...
06-22-2013, 03:38 PM
I wonder why. Adreno 320 has way better benchmark results. might be a texture format compatiblity issue?
I know that some Android GPUs having problems with that. Especially Tegra 3.
06-22-2013, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2013 03:57 PM by VIRGIN KLM.)
There's one thing called as bottlenecking. As recent chipsets get recently the more unballanced they get so they are prone more to bottlenecking. S4's (Exynos) chip is designed so in a way that PPSSPP cannot take advantage of it fully (thead scheduling is weird). While what they did is good for some (if not most) Android native apps for performance, it kills PPSSPP and there's little to nothing to do around that issue.