Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ripping Games for PSP
03-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Ripping Games for PSP
Hi guys not necessarily new to emulation but new to PPSPP.

I had a few questions about ripping games from a PSP for PPSSPP.

Your FAQ (ppsspp.org/faq.html) lays out pretty plainly how to rip games however it mentions you need a custom firmware to do this.

ATM I do not have a PSP I'm intending to buy one specifically to rip games for the emulator.

My first question is what PSP version would be best to purchase for this? 1, 2, or 3k?

My second question would be how do I install the custom firmware? Is there a specific exploit I should be looking at? Where can i download it/find instructions for it? I want to set up the PSP to be able to do exactly what the FAQ says (plug the PSP into my PC and rip the game).

Related it says the digital downloads can be run without doing anything special by copying a specific file to your PC. Can this be done without a custom firmware? If so is it just a matter of copying the file over?

I'm sure there's some questions I'm not asking or not asking correctly please ask for any additional info you need.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2016, 07:48 PM
RE: Ripping Games for PSP
This tutorial should reply to most of your questions Smile

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
03-29-2016, 08:01 PM
(03-29-2016 07:48 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  should reply to most of your questions Smile

Just a quick glance it looks good thank you.

One question though it says to "Extract the exploit to your memory card" how do I do that part?
03-29-2016, 08:16 PM
It means you need to extract the files from the archive you download (be careful about fake download buttons which are ads...) in the specified folder in the Memory Stick of your PSP.
If you don't have one already, install an archive manager such as WinRAR to do this.
Of course you need to plug your PSP in your PC in order to access the Memory Stick Smile

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
03-29-2016, 09:52 PM
Vnctdj you can also use an android phone with ZArchiver and usb-otg support and a usb-otg adapter. I use this exact setup to move psp games from my various systems (a 1k, a 2k, and a pspgo) to and from my tablet and NAS. So this is an option for people with a supported android device but no easily accessible PC.
03-31-2016, 01:26 PM
(03-29-2016 08:16 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  It means you need to extract the files from the archive you download (be careful about fake download buttons which are ads...) in the specified folder in the Memory Stick of your PSP.
If you don't have one already, install an archive manager such as to do this.
Of course you need to plug your PSP in your PC in order to access the Memory Stick Smile

Hey thanks the bolded is what I wasn't sure of didn't know all it took to upload the files was plugging the PSP into your PC.
03-31-2016, 04:48 PM
A PSP (or more precisely the memory stick in a psp) shows up as a usb flash drive in almost all computer operating systems. You could also just remove the memory stick from the psp and pop it into a memorycard reader if your computer has one tht is compatible with memory stick pro duo (or full size memory sticks through an adapter). The PSP came before the era of every device needing it's own file transfer program (ala iTunes).