Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Adreno 420 (Snapdragon 805 - Galaxy Note 4) poor performance
07-19-2015, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2015 08:00 PM by cooliscool.)
Adreno 420 (Snapdragon 805 - Galaxy Note 4) poor performance
I expected PPSSPP to run like a dream on my new Note 4, but it does not. The only game I've got for the moment, Metal Gear Acid, runs at 18fps-fullspeed, often dropping frames and rarely running at fullspeed. I've tried many different combinations of settings, and the result is always the same, even at native PSP resolution (in fact, there's no difference between native PSP and my device's native - 2560x1440). My device is optimized heavily, and there's nothing aside from the bare minimum of Android resources running in the background, so I'm confused. I've heard that the Adreno's drivers are a mess, but this just makes no sense to me. I get 49479 overall in Antutu, and 16800 GPU, which are top of the line scores.

Anyone with a similar device have any ideas? I saw a post where a guy with an Adreno 330 device was running PPSSPP at full speed. The 420 is many times faster than the 330. :/

Edit: tested with Megaman Maverick Hunter X, and even it runs like absolute shit ingame. Menus are fine, but I'm getting like half speed, 30/60 FPS, ingame. Ugh.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2015, 07:46 PM
RE: Adreno 420 (Snapdragon 805 - Galaxy Note 4) poor performance
What settings are you using specifically?

You should try:

1. Try the latest git build from the download page.

(under Graphics)
2. Set Rendering Mode to "Buffered rendering".
3. Set Render Resolution to 1x PSP.
4. Ste Display Resolution to 1x PSP.
5. Set Frameskipping to Off.
6. Set Alternate Speed to 0.
7. Disable "Retain changed textures".
8. Set Texture scaling - Upscale level to Off.
9. Make sure all settings under "Hack settings" are disabled.
10. Make sure "Software rendering" is disabled.

(under System)
11. Enable Fast memory.
12. Disable Multithreaded.
13. Disable Force real clock sync.
14. Set the "emulated PSP'c CPU clock" to 0.
15. Uncheck "Enable cheats".

If it still performs poorly, it may be worth checking your Android developer settings (do you have developer mode enabled?), and enabling the stats display to see what's going on. Or checking if anything comes through on adb logcat.

-[Unknown]
07-19-2015, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2015 08:13 PM by cooliscool.)
Yeah, even with those settings, the performance remains the same. I'm stumped. Will try the developer options suggestions. I get 49479 overall in Antutu, and 16800 in 3D graphics (2560x1440), which are ridiculously high scores; higher than the Note 4 with this SoC gets stock, reflecting the state of optimization I've gotten it to. There's no reason why PPSSPP should be running so poorly.

twitter.com/JJohnson1864/status/622873352932167680
07-19-2015, 11:06 PM
You're not in power-saving mode right?

One thing we've seen on some devices is the CPU governor deciding that PPSSPP isn't using that much CPU, and then downclocking things to save battery power (which then hurts performance.) You can try turning Force real clock sync on, which might impact that decision (maybe.)

Let me ask this - if you fast forward, can it go faster? This will automatically enable frameskip and ignore the framelimiter (which could potentially be something other than 60 fps on your device? my Nexus 5 has 58 unfortunately.) If it's able to go much faster than 100% speed, it should eliminate CPU from being the bottleneck.

-[Unknown]
07-20-2015, 04:12 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 04:23 AM by fivefeet8.)
(07-19-2015 06:39 PM)cooliscool Wrote:  I saw a post where a guy with an Adreno 330 device was running PPSSPP at full speed. The 420 is many times faster than the 330. :/

I have an HTC One M8 (Adreno 330) device and even with the High Performance CPU mode in the developer options enabled, I don't get full speed in most games I've tried at native 1080p resolutions. The videos I've seen of PPSSPP running on Adreno 330 devices have some frame skipping enabled or are running with the "Non-Buffered" mode which causes rendering issues.

From what I've seen benchmarked of the Adreno 420, it's at most 50% faster than the Adreno 330 in the Snapdragon 801 SOC. It should do better in PPSSPP, but unfortunately, from my experience using my Adreno 330 device in other emulators(Gliden64 ES3, uoYabause ES3) is still being stuck with crappy drivers. The driver overhead tests in GFXbench shows fairly well why Adreno devices are held back.

OpenGLes3:
https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?benchma...eld+tablet

OpenGLes3.1
https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?benchma...%28R%29+K1

What's worrisome is the current state of OpenGLes 3 support in Adreno GPU's. It's pretty much a mess at the moment. The HTC One M8 supports it(3.0) in hardware, but good luck getting it running properly when the the drivers are crap.
07-22-2015, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 05:32 PM by cooliscool.)
Unknown - Nope, not in power saving mode, but the bottleneck has to be on the CPU side because performance doesn't change between rendering at 2560x1440 and 1x PSP resolution, and with or without texture upscaling (xBRZ, but I am not sure if this is a GPU or CPU implementation).

I'll root my phone and change the governor settings around. By default it is at interactive mode, according to CPUZ. Evidently PPSSPP isn't invoking an increase to full CPU clock speed, which makes no sense to me.

FF8 - Yeah, "many times faster" was hyperbole, sorry. Indeed, it really sucks to be dealing with shitty drivers. Those problems are of the past everywhere else; even Intel's GPU drivers are fantastic these days. Hate to see it again, especially for such powerful chips otherwise. I remember the horror of 3DFX and Intel's D3D and OpenGL drivers. Thankfully, at least the problems with the Adreno are not due to bad implementation of API functions, but bad optimization.

Fortunately here, I have concluded that the problem HAS to be with the CPU not scaling up properly, which I hope can be alleviated with a different governor setting, and I have been satisfied with its performance otherwise.
07-22-2015, 06:42 PM
I'm actually pretty interested how the performance is once you get the CPU scaling fixed. However, I remember Unknown stating that PPSSPP isn't a good test of CPU bottlenecks as it is of the GPU hardware/drivers. I'm sure he'll chime in with something.
07-23-2015, 02:24 AM
Yeah, well, the problem is that sometimes we are too efficient on the CPU side. This can mean that the CPU itself isn't really all that busy, but the GPU is very busy. If the GPU driver's CPU usage isn't taken into account, or the scaling affects the GPU as it does the CPU, this can be an issue.

You can also try going into developer tools and setting the jit to off. It will eat a lot more CPU then... might be CPU limited, though.

-[Unknown]