Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shield Question
01-20-2015, 06:09 PM
Shield Question
I'm running PPSSPP via the nvidia shield, with the latest build, and can't run games beyond 1xpsp without having slight slowdown at certain points. Considering the shield is about as powerful as an android device can be i dont understand why this is the case. Are high end android devices not capable of running 2xpsp games perfectly?

Also with the new PPSSPP version coming at the end of january what are some of the key features we can expect (particularly for android users). Thanks.

PS: I also used the android maximizing guide which is stickied.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2015, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2015 02:21 PM by fivefeet8.)
RE: Shield Question
I'm guessing you have the Shield Portable not the Shield Tablet. The portable was a high end device a few years ago, but it's surpassed now by the Shield Tablet and Snapdragon 805 devices. I have a HTC One M8 and it doesn't run most PSP games on PPSSPP with 2x and above resolutions without moderate to heavy slowdown. My Shield Tablet is the only Android device that runs PPSSPP with resolutions up to 4x with little slowdown in most games.

Generally, Android devices need to have some frameskipping and lower resolution settings for most games to be full speed. Although, if you feel you should be getting better performance, I'd do a restart of the device and disable as many applications running in the background as possible.
01-22-2015, 07:50 AM
(01-21-2015 02:18 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  I'm guessing you have the Shield Portable not the Shield Tablet. The portable was a high end device a few years ago, but it's surpassed now by the Shield Tablet and Snapdragon 805 devices. I have a HTC One M8 and it doesn't run most PSP games on PPSSPP with 2x and above resolutions without moderate to heavy slowdown. My Shield Tablet is the only Android device that runs PPSSPP with resolutions up to 4x with little slowdown in most games.

Generally, Android devices need to have some frameskipping and lower resolution settings for most games to be full speed. Although, if you feel you should be getting better performance, I'd do a restart of the device and disable as many applications running in the background as possible.

What are some of the rumored features for PPSSPP 1.0? New settings to allow a better chance at running at 2x without slowdown would be great.

Also is there a chance of a shield portable 2 (rather than another tablet). I'd consider buying it if it were lighter weight and had the left analog stick in an xbox position, rather than playstation position.
01-22-2015, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2015 02:38 PM by fivefeet8.)
(01-22-2015 07:50 AM)Prior Wrote:  What are some of the rumored features for PPSSPP 1.0? New settings to allow a better chance at running at 2x without slowdown would be great.

Also is there a chance of a shield portable 2 (rather than another tablet). I'd consider buying it if it were lighter weight and had the left analog stick in an xbox position, rather than playstation position.

Your guess is as good as anyone. Maybe a developer can chime in and suprise us. I'm guessing more compatibility and more speed improvements if even small. Would be nice to be able to combine shaders.

As for your other question, there is always a chance Nvidia will release another portable. I'm eagerly awaiting for something with the new Tegra X1 SOC chip. Big Grin Should blow the water out of PSP emulation on android.(and pretty much everything else on it)
01-29-2015, 12:31 PM
(01-22-2015 02:31 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  
(01-22-2015 07:50 AM)Prior Wrote:  What are some of the rumored features for PPSSPP 1.0? New settings to allow a better chance at running at 2x without slowdown would be great.

Your guess is as good as anyone. Maybe a developer can chime in and suprise us. I'm guessing more compatibility and more speed improvements if even small. Would be nice to be able to combine shaders.

As for your other question, there is always a chance Nvidia will release another portable. I'm eagerly awaiting for something with the new Tegra X1 SOC chip. Big Grin Should blow the water out of PSP emulation on android.(and pretty much everything else on it)

Would you recommend rooting the shield so it could be overclocked? i'm curious as to whether overclocking the shield would give it a better chance of running ppsspp at 2x resolution without slowdown.
01-29-2015, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't recommend it for myself, but you have to decide if you are willing to take the risks. You may end up damaging your device, but if you did it carefully it should be fine. I wouldn't know how much performance you'd get out of it though.
02-05-2015, 06:55 PM
(01-29-2015 02:58 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  I wouldn't recommend it for myself, but you have to decide if you are willing to take the risks. You may end up damaging your device, but if you did it carefully it should be fine. I wouldn't know how much performance you'd get out of it though.

Are there any other companies which produce Shield type products (or are reported to be in the midst of producing them)? Specifically the non-tablet version. It would be nice to get something lighter and more powerful (with the left analog stick in the xbox position and the a/x/b/y buttons feeling like they do with an xbox controller).