Ninja Katsugeki: Tenchu Kurenai Portable
10-08-2015, 08:39 AM
RE: Ninja Katsugeki: Tenchu Kurenai Portable
thanks bro, you're a bomb Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2015, 10:52 AM
If you guys want CWCheat version of that hack which would work on all platforms ppsspp supports(assuming they don't have different bugs;p) and with official PPSSPP versions, I could make it, but as mentioned earlier would need help of someone with this game ~ since I don't have any Tenchu, nor know anyone who has it;3 and also that person would have to be able to run ppsspp on windows since I belive only windows version has all the debug features.

From what I saw how sceAtracSetLoopNum function is used in other games, this might be very easy actually, without having any technical knowledge, just follow few steps that will probably take less time to do than reading them.

1) run the game in ppsspp(obviouslyTongue),
2) open ppsspp disassembly (ctrl+D or debug->disassembly... menu),
3) click inside "Go to" textbox which is in the upper left of the disassembly window and type in 8804000 then confirm with enter,
4) now copy "sceAtracSetLoopNum" (without ""), press ctrl+s(or ctrl+f same thing) to open search window and paste sceAtracSetLoopNum there, then click OK,
5) once it finds it, check the main window on the right if directly under or slightly above the line that says "jal zz_sceAtracSetLoopNum" there is something like "li a1,-0x1", for example it could look like
Code:
(...)
AddressA              jal     zz_sceAtracSetLoopNum
AddressB              li       a1,-0x1
(...)
I'm interested in AddressB, so if you find anything like that right click on "li a1,-0x1" and click copy address and paste it in reply here.

If you couldn't find it, just repeat 4-5. And if you have other tenchu games that have this infinite loading screen bug, you can follow the whole thing again.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
10-10-2015, 10:43 PM
(10-09-2015 10:52 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  If you guys want CWCheat version of that hack which would work on all platforms ppsspp supports(assuming they don't have different bugs;p) and with official PPSSPP versions, I could make it, but as mentioned earlier would need help of someone with this game ~ since I don't have any Tenchu, nor know anyone who has it;3 and also that person would have to be able to run ppsspp on windows since I belive only windows version has all the debug features.

From what I saw how sceAtracSetLoopNum function is used in other games, this might be very easy actually, without having any technical knowledge, just follow few steps that will probably take less time to do than reading them.

1) run the game in ppsspp(obviouslyTongue),
2) open ppsspp disassembly (ctrl+D or debug->disassembly... menu),
3) click inside "Go to" textbox which is in the upper left of the disassembly window and type in 8804000 then confirm with enter,
4) now copy "sceAtracSetLoopNum" (without ""), press ctrl+s(or ctrl+f same thing) to open search window and paste sceAtracSetLoopNum there, then click OK,
5) once it finds it, check the main window on the right if directly under or slightly above the line that says "jal zz_sceAtracSetLoopNum" there is something like "li a1,-0x1", for example it could look like
Code:
(...)
AddressA              jal     zz_sceAtracSetLoopNum
AddressB              li       a1,-0x1
(...)
I'm interested in AddressB, so if you find anything like that right click on "li a1,-0x1" and click copy address and paste it in reply here.

If you couldn't find it, just repeat 4-5. And if you have other tenchu games that have this infinite loading screen bug, you can follow the whole thing again.

It would be great if we could fix it with just CWcheat. That way, nothing else in the emulator has to be edited or hacked to mess with compatibility with other games.

Anyway, the only Tenchu games that have this infinite loading problem is Tenchu San and Tenchu Kurenai. I found the address for both games. Here they are.

Tenchu San: 089D4DD8

Tenchu Kurenai: 08959228

Thank you for looking at this problem. Hope you can find a fix for it.
10-10-2015, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the info, making cwc version of the hack with it is really easy since I only have to change a1 value from -1 to 0 and add cwc formatting, so it should work fine:

Code:
_S ULJM-05505
_G Ninja Katsugeki: Tenchu San Portable
_C0 Infinite Loop Workaround
_L 0xE001FFFF 0x001D4DD8
_L 0x201D4DD8 0x24050000
_C0 Infinite Loop Workaround [Disable]
_L 0x201D4DD8 0x2405FFFF

Code:
_S ULJM-05598
_G Ninja Katsugeki: Tenchu Kurenai Portable
_C0 Infinite Loop Workaround
_L 0xE001FFFF 0x00159228
_L 0x20159228 0x24050000
_C0 Infinite Loop Workaround [Disable]
_L 0x20159228 0x2405FFFF

Important notes:
From what I can tell from other games the instruction that sets the number of loops(which this cheat affects) can potentially run much earlier than code which actually plays that particular sound track, so after activating cheat I would recommend to restart emulation and load/continue the game from normal save, otherwise it might not work.
For same reason don't load savestates made before that restart, especially if they were made right before the infinite loading screen, since they will restore old memory and almost surely not get affected by this hack. After restart with cheat activated you can start making new ones without any problem so don't worry about that slight inconvenience.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
10-11-2015, 01:04 AM
thanks bomberman and lunamoo, its working fine on the latest build
10-11-2015, 03:26 AM
I tried testing both games to see if the eternal in-game loading is still there and both have been fixed (no more loading at all). I just beat the first stages of both games with no hiccups. It's amazing how just one cheat can change its compatibility so much.

Thank you for the CWcheat LunaMoo. Now we can all enjoy our favorite ninja stealth game! Smile
10-11-2015, 12:47 PM
You're welcome and have fun.

Yeah CWCheats are nice, you can inject anything to PSP user memory with it, including code, so it's very useful tool to change how the game works without having to patch it's files. It's nice for cheats, mods, temporary compatibility patches, althrough doing so might not always be soo convenient as changing one constant argument to a syscall which name is self explainary, that was kind of lucky.^_^

It will be worth rechecking if the hack is still needed every now and then, [Unknown] puts a lot of effort into improving Atrac, so it will hopefully be fixed at some point. For that purpose, when you will need to to completely disable the hack - use [Disable] code and also restart emulation/reload from normal save for same reason as with enabling it the first time.

10-11-2015, 03:59 PM
too bad i cant find the modified iso that replaces the cutscenes with the ps2 cutscenes with english sub and dub, i remember someone made it in pspiso way back in 2009
10-27-2015, 02:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2015 03:00 AM by Tenchu.)
(10-11-2015 12:47 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  You're welcome and have fun.

Yeah CWCheats are nice, you can inject anything to PSP user memory with it, including code, so it's very useful tool to change how the game works without having to patch it's files. It's nice for cheats, mods, temporary compatibility patches, althrough doing so might not always be soo convenient as changing one constant argument to a syscall which name is self explainary, that was kind of lucky.^_^

It will be worth rechecking if the hack is still needed every now and then, [Unknown] puts a lot of effort into improving Atrac, so it will hopefully be fixed at some point. For that purpose, when you will need to to completely disable the hack - use [Disable] code and also restart emulation/reload from normal save for same reason as with enabling it the first time.

I am going to try this right now if it works I will be sooooooooo Happy man you are amazing!!!!! Will this work on Android though??????

(10-11-2015 12:47 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  You're welcome and have fun.

Is there a way you can guide me through these steps for Android?
10-27-2015, 07:26 AM
@Tenchu yeah, cheats, especially those that change game code should work exactly same way on all platforms, that's exactly why I proposed to make this hack through CWCheat.

If you never used CWCheats in PPSSPP you could read how to in first post of this thread.
It's really easy through, just have to "activate cheats" in ppsspp system settings, then run the game once for an empty cwcheat ini file to be created named after game ID, so for "Ninja Katsugeki: Tenchu San Portable" the ini file would be named "ULJM05505.ini" and it should be stored on your external sd card inside PSP/Cheats folder(if for some reason it's not, you could just create it manually, but you might also be looking at wrong place since some android devices have confusing names for external/internal memory:]).
After doing that just edit that ini file and paste cheats inside, then after running the game you will be able to find and activate them inside "Cheats" menu that's accessible after pausing the game(with "back" button on android I belive, devices without back button might have a touch screen key for pause).

If you already know how to use cheats in ppsspp, that's pretty much same thing, just note you only want to activate the first cheat of the two ~ in case the [Disable] part isn't self-explanatory or goes out of the screen at your device resolution.
Also as I wrote earlier, for this particular hack you should restart emulation after activating the cheat which on android I guess would mean exiting the game and running it again. Then you have to load the game from normal save or start over if you don't have any normal saves as it more than likely will not work for older savestates especially if they were made close to the problem. That's pretty much it.

10-27-2015, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2015 08:25 AM by Tenchu.)
(10-27-2015 07:26 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  @Tenchu yeah, cheats, especially those that change game code should work exactly same way on all platforms, that's exactly why I proposed to make this hack through CWCheat.

If you never used CWCheats in PPSSPP you could read how to in first post of
It's really easy through, just have to "activate cheats" in ppsspp system settings, then run the game once for an empty cwcheat ini file to be created named after game ID, so for "Ninja Katsugeki: Tenchu San Portable" the ini file would be named "ULJM05505.ini" and it should be stored on your external sd card inside PSP/Cheats folder(if for some reason it's not, you could just create it manually, but you might also be looking at wrong place since some android devices have confusing names for external/internal memory:]).
After doing that just edit that ini file and paste cheats inside, then after running the game you will be able to find and activate them inside "Cheats" menu that's accessible after pausing the game(with "back" button on android I belive, devices without back button might have a touch screen key for pause).

If you already know how to use cheats in ppsspp, that's pretty much same thing, just note you only want to activate the first cheat of the two ~ in case the [Disable] part isn't self-explanatory or goes out of the screen at your device resolution.
Also as I wrote earlier, for this particular hack you should restart emulation after activating the cheat which on android I guess would mean exiting the game and running it again. Then you have to load the game from normal save or start over if you don't have any normal saves as it more than likely will not work for older savestates especially if they were made close to the problem. That's pretty much it.
Great!!! It worked I just tested it. Can I leave this cheat always activated? or once I pass the load screen should I disable it?

(10-27-2015 07:59 AM)Tenchu Wrote:  
(10-27-2015 07:26 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  @Tenchu yeah, cheats, especially those that change game code should work exactly same way on all platforms, that's exactly why I proposed to make this hack through CWCheat.

If you never used CWCheats in PPSSPP you could read how to in first post of

Great!!! It worked I just tested it. Can I leave this cheat always activated? or once I pass the load screen should I disable it?

Also Since this is a direct port of a ps2 version is it possible to get english subtiles or an english in game menu?
10-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Well assuming there are more loading screens later on, you should certainly leave it activated.
In case ppsspp cheat engine running by itself would cause some noticeable performance drops(which with default settings I don't think it could be a problem), you could just set refresh rate to some high value like 1000 to make it much slower and so lighter, doing so will not affect that workaround at all since ASM cheats like this one doesn't really have to be refreshed at all and I even add a check to make sure it isn't since in PPSSPP it would bother JIT otherwise:]. So pretty much cheats like this one only inject modified code into the game once and then allows the game to do all the job, only when it wants to and at exact speed it wants to. That's really the best and safest way to make cheats, so keeping it activated should be fine, well at least as long as it's broken.

No clue about english since I don't even have this game, you could ask for help at gbatemp forums, they have lots of people experienced or maybe even specialized with fan translations.
Moving official translation from one version of the game to another is pretty much same thing, it might appear easier, but usually takes similar amount of time. Japanese is soo much different from english that you end up having to reprogram quite a bit of the game to work with it.

11-07-2015, 07:18 PM
After applying this cheat I noticed a slow down in performance. Is there anything i can do to speed it up a bit?
11-08-2015, 07:16 AM
I wrote about it in my previous post already.
If any cheat would cause a slowdown it simply means you're refreshing cheats too fast(which is very bad thing to do that only some terribly made cheats could ever need) or if you never changed default refresh rate it means your device is just soo slow that even very little extra load added by cheat engine running itself is already noticeable, so you can just disable cheats in system settings.

Either way I think this atrac issue should be officially fixed in latest versions once this pr get's merged, maybe even later today.

11-08-2015, 08:50 AM
I am Running Note 4. It's quite powerful. I don't think that my device is the problem. There is an update planned that will fix this???? Awesome!

Samsung Note 4 with Snapdragon 805
CPU 2.7 GHz quad-core CPU
GPU Adreno 420 GPU
RAM 3gigs
HD Display 2560x1440 pixels