Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Save state crash
02-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Save state crash
Occasionally, when I attempt to save state, PPSSPP will completely crash and I have to manually close it from the Task Manager. Then, when I load the game up again and attempt to load the state that crashed it, I am informed that the state is "for an older version of PPSSPP", even though it clearly wasn't.

Basically, this means save states are unreliable, because, unless you consistently remember to switch slots, you'll lose your savestate completely and return to the last game save, which can be incredibly frustrating.

The game I've been playing is Persona 3 Portable, however it doesn't really seem like it'd make sense for a save-state crash to be game-specific, so I don't think it's related. I just don't have any other games to try it out on. In any case, there's no problems playing the game.

It's also not every time, either. Or even very often. I'm about 42 hours into the game, and have been using save states pretty heavily, and it's still only happened about 4 or 5 times.

I've never had it happen from the "save state file", so I've been trying to use that to minimize the lost progress.

And yes, I am using the latest version.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2014, 07:02 PM
RE: Save state crash
It is strongly adviced from the devs to avoid relying on savestates, because, as you have realized already, they are unsafe. Also they are incompatible between different versions. If you can't live without them use different slots for savestates (there are like 1-5 I believe).
Anyway by latest version are you talking about the latest official version or the latest build?

Since English is not my first language sorry for some misspelling on my posts
02-08-2014, 07:33 PM
(02-08-2014 07:02 PM)Gurlok Wrote:  It is strongly adviced from the devs to avoid relying on savestates, because, as you have realized already, they are unsafe. Also they are incompatible between different versions. If you can't live without them use different slots for savestates (there are like 1-5 I believe).
Anyway by latest version are you talking about the latest official version or the latest build?

I have 0.9.6, windows, non-gold.

There should be an option to cycle through the different slots for savestates. That way, you can still do the really easy F2 to savestate, but even if there's a problem with it, you'll only go as far back as your last save state.

Obviously, you can do that manually now, but I tend to forget to switch slots.

If they're known to be unsafe, why isn't it mentioned to avoid using them anywhere on the official site?
02-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Scroll down until you read "All builds" (the latest one I can see now is the v0.9.6-802-gd0fcf3b); these are called "revisions" and are in a much far progress than the standard 0.9.6. So many things got fixed, and if I recall correctly some of these fix affect even the save state stability along other things. Personally speaking, since the official update come too much slow (for obvious reasons) it is better to skick with the builds.

Since English is not my first language sorry for some misspelling on my posts