Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Perfect" games
02-05-2014, 03:59 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2014 04:07 AM by solarmystic.)
RE: "Perfect" games
(02-04-2014 09:23 PM)TheDax Wrote:  It's probably time to split up the compatibility list into Mobile vs. Desktop, what do you think? This way, mobile users complaining that games aren't playable when they're fine on the desktop can know that the game(s) they're trying to in fact play, are not playable on mobile. Question is, how would it work without getting cluttered..

The thing is, even within the Desktop community itself, one game that is guaranteed to be playable for one set of specs isn't necessarily going to be the case for another. I'm not referring to the performance disparity either.

Example:-

Jeanne D'arc had that long standing "invisible characters" issue which was recently resolved when [Unknown] fixed it via the blitting commit which was merged to master by Henrik in v0.9.6-334-gce8f98e

Only desktop owners with cards that support the necessary extensions for blitting (OpenGL 3.3 and above) could experience the fix as intended.

Given that we still support cards over a decade old such as the Radeon X series and the NVIDIA 6xxx series which only support up to OpenGL 2.x, those users would definitely still report the game as non-playable/in game. Granted, they would be the minority but there could be other games that would definitely qualify as well.

Just for the record, we have two necessary desktop fixes that already alienate gfx cards/devices which do not support OpenGL 3.3+/OpenGL ES 3.0:-

1. The aforementioned blitting commit, circa v0.9.6-334-gce8f98e

2. The Dual Source Alpha commit, intended to resolve lighting issues with Wipeout etc. circa v0.9.6-59-g214cc01

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2014, 04:26 AM
Shocked RE: "Perfect" games
Idea Here's a easy solution to what TheDax had mentioned, and hear me out, I think this is the only way in which something like this would work.

You simply separate the forum into THREE Subforums, its still one forum but in three sections, obviously Titled PC & Mac subforum & Mobile devices subforum, to gain access to the PC & Mac forum you simply get a question come up on screen each time you log on to these forums, "Do you wish to Enter the Testers subforums (Yes or No).
If Yes then New question comes up, which section (PC or Mobile)? Enter P or M.
If No then it opens the rest of the forums, IE.....Off Topic ETC ETC.

That way is the only way I can think of to keep results completely separate.
Also no fear of confusion of results.

If this is NOT possible with a single forum, then why not create 2 new forums & transfer all Information we have over to the new ones. Idea
02-05-2014, 05:51 AM
There really are a bunch of games that work just fine on all platforms. For example, Crisis Core. I assume Blade Dancer too (have not tested it much.) So Jeanne d'Arc would never make it to this list - not unless we fix it in a different way that works on older cards, or raise the OpenGL requirement.

Even if there are a bunch of games that aren't, or even never get to, some kind of "very playable" status, a list of ones that are very playable isn't a bad thing.

But as a user, I've hated it when I've read that some PS1 or N64 game is compatible, only to find that it doesn't really play correctly at all, even if you could technically beat it. If I read a game wasn't quite "solid" but played it and was happy, I'd be pleasantly surprised - if I read that a game was "playable" and then found it really was not there yet, I'd be disappointed.

I prefer to be pleasantly surprised, so I assume other people do too.

Also, about separating mobile, I've noticed that there are separate compatibility lists already for certain devices, like Pandora, already being maintained elsewhere. They're considering performance for the device as well.

http://pandorawiki.org/PPSSPP_Compatibility_List

-[Unknown]
02-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Sorry for off-topic, but as I saw in this compatibility list (http://pandorawiki.org/PPSSPP_Compatibility_List) the 007 From Russia With Love compatibility is as Icomplete, and the note says that it is slower. I don't know where you tested the game, but the game runs at full speed on my Galaxy S2 and on my PC with DirectX version.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
02-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Don't say "you". That list is third-party i.e. not officially made by PPSSPP devs.

Catch me if you can't catch me if you can't Cats are nice.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2014, 07:34 PM
(02-05-2014 05:19 PM)GuilhermeGS2 Wrote:  Sorry for off-topic, but as I saw in this compatibility list (http://pandorawiki.org/PPSSPP_Compatibility_List) the 007 From Russia With Love compatibility is as Icomplete, and the note says that it is slower. I don't know where you tested the game, but the game runs at full speed on my Galaxy S2 and on my PC with DirectX version.

Thats not official, and learn to read, its a wiki for a device named Pandora, a linux based ARM portable "console". Its not as powerful as a pc, or galaxy s2. (and that list is made specially for that machine. eg. if a game is slow on it, they write that into the wiki.)

Also, i still think it would be easier just to maintain an official wiki, than making a lot of subforums :/ (and wiki's can be made multilingual)

PC Specs:
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6700 3.2 Ghz
4gb ddr3 ram
Geforce GTS 450 1 GB DDR3
Windows 7 x64
02-05-2014, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2014 07:40 PM by GuilhermeGS2.)
I was really doubt about who made this list, so I said "you" , but not referring to someone, I didn't know which word to use.

Sorry, I didn't know that "pandora" is a O.S, I never heard anything about that. I thought it was the name of the website. Blush

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
02-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Not an OS but a device Wink
>> http://boards.openpandora.org/page/homepage.html

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
02-05-2014, 10:08 PM
(02-05-2014 08:21 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  Not an OS but a device Wink
>> http://boards.openpandora.org/page/homepage.html

Thank you for reply. Now I know the Pandora. Smile

02-05-2014, 10:11 PM
No problem Wink

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
02-12-2014, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 05:44 PM by Asferot.)
I for one would really like a category that is above playable. Because even I have run into games that are playable, but lack many features that make it almost not worth playing. Something like "Fully playable" with no graphical glitches/missing stuff/broken music and so on. Where I know if i load that .iso It will be as if playing on my PSP.
But then again there is that hardware diversity problem. Even I have a PC with a old-ish video adapter so things that are missing on that PC is not missing on someone elses pc. It will be hard as hell to actually brand game as fully playable if for some people it will be not. This is one tough topic.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
02-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Solarmystic, you finally explained why I continue to have overbrightness issues in Dissidia 012 - my card only supports OpenGL 3.2 and thus I don't get the dual source blending. I just figured it had been re-re-broken to fix something else and wasn't being worked on for a while.

I would suggest two separate lists, one for games that are "solid" on any machine that can run PPSSPP itself, and another one for games that are "solid" if and only if you meet certain specs (e.g. Nvidia card, OpenGL 3.3+).

I only use PPSSPP on Windows.
Intel Core i3 1.9GHz | 4GB RAM | Integrated Intel HD 4400 | Windows 8.1 x64