Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wired XBOX 360 Controller (D-Pad Issue) [fixed?]
01-16-2014, 03:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2014 03:35 PM by Henrik.)
Wired XBOX 360 Controller (D-Pad Issue) [fixed?]
Hello all,

System Specs
Win 7 x64
i7 3770K
EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC

I have an official MS brand and an off brand wired XBOX 360 controller [Afterglow] and the D-Pad doesn't respond well while in game (MHFU and MHP3rd and MHP3rd HD). I also have friend how has an official MS wired controller too and is experiencing the same D-Pad problem. On the flipside, my official wireless controller, the D-Pad does NOT have this issue. Hoping someone could give me insight on this or just to let the Dev team know that this is currently a problem.

Thanks in advanced!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2014, 03:50 AM
RE: Wired XBOX 360 Controller (D-Pad Issue)
No one else has experienced this problem?
01-18-2014, 07:01 PM
I have a wired XBox 360 controller and it works completly fine?
Have you tried reinstalling the controller software or checking to see if the DPad is configured correctly in the keybind menu?
01-19-2014, 12:42 AM
(01-18-2014 07:01 PM)Sonickyle27 Wrote:  I have a wired XBox 360 controller and it works completly fine?
Have you tried reinstalling the controller software or checking to see if the DPad is configured correctly in the keybind menu?

Yes, I have rebound all keys for the specific controller on the D-Pad. I haven't tried to re-install the software, the I don't see how this would help when one of friends with completely different hardware is having the same issue. But I will give it a try.

Thanks for the reply.
01-19-2014, 10:09 PM
(01-19-2014 12:42 AM)MaximusX800 Wrote:  
(01-18-2014 07:01 PM)Sonickyle27 Wrote:  I have a wired XBox 360 controller and it works completly fine?

Yes, I have rebound all keys for the specific controller on the D-Pad. I haven't tried to re-install the software, the I don't see how this would help when one of friends with completely different hardware is having the same issue. But I will give it a try.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried re-installing the drivers, but that didn't help. I did some testing and it seems to be linked to the fact that I am mapping both the d-pad and the right analog to PSP d-pad buttons. If I removed the right analog mappings, the d-pad works fine, but adding the right analog make the d-pad not respond well. This is wierd as the wireless xbox controller does not act in this manner.
07-19-2014, 04:28 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2014 04:30 AM by Elvis_Nilsson.)
Finally a thread with a similar issue to mine (feels related).

I'm using a PS3 controller with Xiput drivers. Everything is working fine. I can map any controller key to anything.

BUT if I try to map any of the Right analog (the ones not normally used) to any of the D-pad defaults, this happens;

Analog control is working as it should (holding up for example is like holding the D-pad up), but the D-pad controls get wierd... Sometimes a button press is registered, sometimes not (like 30% chance) and holding the D-pad button never registers as holding it down (like for fast scrolling in game menus).

This issue occurs even if I for example map down right analog to the D-pad up (in addition, not replacement).

Tested it for 2 different games (Dissidia 012 and FF Type-0) with the same result/behavior.

Using the drivers I got from this place: (nvm, not allowed to post links, google: "XInput Wrapper for DS3 and Play.com USB Dual DS2 Controller")
Though I can't remember which version I have.

Edit: Forgot to mention that only the D-pad button with the added Right analog keybinding is the one acting weird, the ones that are using the default mapping continue to work normally.
07-19-2014, 12:11 PM
I don't know if this will help you, but,
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...4#pid85364

Motion-in-joy doesn't work atm BUT in that thread, there are also instructions for SCP drivers. Big Grin

WATCH MY MHFU GAMEPLAY VIDS AT: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBarbanium
Have I been helpful to you in any way, nya?
You can click that "+" button ▼ to raise my reputation, meow!
07-19-2014, 01:58 PM
I don't think it's a driver issue, as they are register as unique commands when checking properties under units/printers.

They also register fine in PPSSPP as unique inputs when mapping controls.

There must be a conflict after the mapping relating between Right analog controls and D-pad.

For example even after mapping a D-pad control with a Right analog (same issue if you try left analog) the controls work fine in PPSSPP menus, but act up in-game.
07-20-2014, 01:20 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2014 01:33 AM by barbanium.)
Hmmm... I really think it's the drivers fault. I dunno where you got your drivers but the only reliable ones I know for PS3 controllers are Motioninjoy and SCP.

If you really think your drivers aren't at fault, then maybe it's your PS3 controller that's broken.

OR maybe there are more than 1 controls assigned to the right stick of your controller and they overtake each other, hence, it became "weird."

A screenshot of your control mapping would be nice. Wink

I'm saying all of these because I've been using a PS3 controller to play MHFU on PPSSPP from the very beginning and I haven't noticed any weird thing happening.

I was using Motion-in-joy drivers (had no problems there; except I have to run Better DS3 all the time) and switched to SCP drivers.

I play WIRELESSLY most of the time and only playing it wired when my controller has low charge. Big Grin

EDIT: Reading your first post, I noticed you have SCP drivers as well. Tongue

I'm using 1.2.0.160 and never bothered updating it to 1.2.2.175 'cause it worked perfectly for me.

Make sure you followed precisely the instructions there.

If you think you did, then yeah, maybe your controller's broken or there's a control mapping mistake. Big Grin

WATCH MY MHFU GAMEPLAY VIDS AT: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBarbanium
Have I been helpful to you in any way, nya?
You can click that "+" button ▼ to raise my reputation, meow!
07-20-2014, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2014 06:29 AM by Elvis_Nilsson.)
Have you tried binding both a D-pad up and Right analog up for the up command then?

To see if you get the same issue.

I have like 4 things bound to the up command (3 by default), the issue only occurs if you bind any of the left or right analog commands to a D-pad function. Then the D-pad function get's wacky, only working 30% of the time or less. The analog binding works fine, but the D-pad one, that WAS working fine BEFORE I bound an analog command to it, doesn't.

Edit: The problem isn't getting the D-pad OR the Analog to work. The problem is getting BOTH to work at the same time (I wanna use one for camera control and the other for menu control in FF Type-0) ^^
07-20-2014, 09:53 AM
(07-20-2014 06:27 AM)Elvis_Nilsson Wrote:  Have you tried binding both a D-pad up and Right analog up for the up command then?

I have like 4 things bound to the up command (3 by default), the issue only occurs if you bind any of the left or right analog commands to a D-pad function. Then the D-pad function get's wacky, only working 30% of the time or less. The analog binding works fine, but the D-pad one, that WAS working fine BEFORE I bound an analog command to it, doesn't.

Edit: The problem isn't getting the D-pad OR the Analog to work. The problem is getting BOTH to work at the same time (I wanna use one for camera control and the other for menu control in FF Type-0) ^^

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=10190

and puff ur problem solved

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12513
or http://www.x360ce.com
07-20-2014, 09:54 AM
I committed an update that should improve this quite a bit: https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/commi...8ab693e9b3

It still acts a little erratically when you use both your dpad and the mapped analog stick at the same time, but it should feel a lot better.
07-20-2014, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2014 12:03 PM by Elvis_Nilsson.)
(07-20-2014 09:53 AM)ZeroX4 Wrote:  
(07-20-2014 06:27 AM)Elvis_Nilsson Wrote:  Have you tried binding both a D-pad up and Right analog up for the up command then?

link (I can't post them, even in quotes ^^)

Very cool, seems to work now.

But I'm a bit fuzzy on how it works... Does Anti Micro just rape your other driver routines and override them, cause I just configured the D-pad buttons and removed the default XBox settings in PPSSPP ^^?

Is this an driver issue, ppsspp issue or psp (read that bit about max 8 buttons) issue?

Edit2: Another weird thing... when I turn off Anti Micro, after having remove all PPSSPP settings for the D-pad that aren't keyboard based... the D-pad still registers and works like normal in PPSSPP? Curious...

(07-20-2014 09:54 AM)Henrik Wrote:  I committed an update that should improve this quite a bit: link

It still acts a little erratically when you use both your dpad and the mapped analog stick at the same time, but it should feel a lot better.

Sorry have no clue what I'm supposed to do with that code.

But ZeroX4's solution worked fine for me.

Edit: I have no file named EmuScreen.cpp
07-20-2014, 12:02 PM
(07-20-2014 11:54 AM)Elvis_Nilsson Wrote:  
(07-20-2014 09:53 AM)ZeroX4 Wrote:  

link (I can't post them, even in quotes ^^)

Very cool, seems to work now.

But I'm a bit fuzzy on how it works... Does Anti Micro just rape your other driver routines and override them, cause I just configured the D-pad buttons and removed the default XBox settings in PPSSPP ^^?

Is this an driver issue, ppsspp issue or psp (read that bit about max 8 buttons) issue?

(07-20-2014 09:54 AM)Henrik Wrote:  I committed an update that should improve this quite a bit: link

Sorry have no clue what I'm supposed to do with that code.

But ZeroX4's solution worked fine for me.

u need to delete original gamepad controlls

i have no idea

anti micro works separetlly < idk how to spell it > frrom normal controlls

so wshen u use anti micro + fresh emu u have doubled controlos 1 from anti micro and 1 from emulator thats why u need to remove OBNLY GAMEPAD controlls

anti micro just emulate ur keyboard via or gamepad

so lets say u set under square [] button lets say space which should be select

(i know xbox dont have square button its just example)

than for emulator you are pressing [] square button and select

but if you remove gamepad bindings than by pressing square button you just press select

my god i hope you understand Big Grin cause i dont !!!

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12513
or http://www.x360ce.com
07-20-2014, 12:57 PM
I didn't remove any controllers, works just fine as is, but I get your point, if I want to rebind Square for example I would need to. Luck me that the PSP doesn't use the right analog which was the only thing I needed to rebind, so works great ^^

But good to know for the future if I'm using Anti Mirco for something else, I need to go into Windows control panel and turn off the controllers (didn't need to do that for the PSP, in this case).

Thx for the help.