Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
0.6.1 released
01-29-2013, 08:22 PM
0.6.1 released
As those of you following the git builds have noticed, I managed to fix the ARM JIT bug on Snapdragon the day before I got my Nexus 4 :-)

0.6.1 has been released with the fix, those of you installing from Google Play will receive automatic updates of course.

http://www.ppsspp.org
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2013, 08:27 PM
RE: 0.6.1 released
Have fun with your new phone:-)
01-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Nice, ill try the speed boost on xperia play...

Thanks a lot Big Grin
01-30-2013, 07:21 AM
now when can we use the multithreading feauture for our multi core smartphone??Is there a wip yet?Are you working on it now that arm jit is working on all arm devices?
01-30-2013, 07:25 AM
I've reevaluated the plan a little and I plan to speed up the ARM JIT more (it is nowhere near complete, for example, it still interprets all FPU instruction) more before I try to implement multithreading. Speeding up the JIT will benefit all devices, both single and multi core.

The reason is that multithreading (putting the graphics on a separate thread) will make many parts of the code more complicated and harder to change, which is not a good thing when it's this early. JIT though is mostly isolated and doesn't really affect the complexity of the rest of the emulator at all.
01-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Thank you ~~!!!

请大家遵守论坛制度,谢谢
01-30-2013, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 10:42 AM by JumperTwo.)
(01-30-2013 07:25 AM)Henrik Wrote:  I've reevaluated the plan a little and I plan to speed up the ARM JIT more (it is nowhere near complete, for example, it still interprets all FPU instruction) more before I try to implement multithreading. Speeding up the JIT will benefit all devices, both single and multi core.

The reason is that multithreading (putting the graphics on a separate thread) will make many parts of the code more complicated and harder to change, which is not a good thing when it's this early. JIT though is mostly isolated and doesn't really affect the complexity of the rest of the emulator at all.

this seems to be the right direction,you are doing a great work! speaking of speeding things up, i was looking at Math3d.h and rendering in general and i see that you are using plain C for vector multiplication,division and all the other common operations. for example :

inline float Vec3Dot(const float v1[3], const float v2[3])
{
return v1[0]*v2[0] + v1[1]*v2[1] + v1[2]*v2[2];
}

this can be optimized using NEON functions or using "basic" instrinsics like vld (load) and vst (store) to perform normal (for example) float multiplications (vmulq) etc. do you think this can speed things up? especially for the instrinsics , i'm afraid that maybe looping this : "loading a value from memory -> do something -> storing to memory " can even slow things down.it is worth a try?
01-30-2013, 11:49 AM
wouldn't using neon make the emulator incompatible with all tegra2 devices?
with my old tegra2 phone I had to use "no neon" versions of some media players(vlc/xbmc) because it didn't support neon.
01-30-2013, 12:06 PM
NEON will not be required. Maybe we'll use it for some things in the future but only if it's there.
01-30-2013, 12:16 PM
What about overall compatability?

Altough i have no idea about programming an emulator, and i have no idea how multithreading will affect the difficulty of further programming
But it sounds like it will just be more work after implementing that

Id be happy to see the jit optimized further, it already runs close to full speed on some phones, and i think this will allow a few more to actually run it full speed

On xperia play its still very slow tough Sad
I dont think it will be able to handle it full speed
01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
0.61 works great on my snapdragon s4 device! The speed is definitely improved but the sound is still choppy.

This project is really moving along and you guys are doing a amazing job. Thank you and keep up the good work!
01-30-2013, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 03:12 PM by XenoN.)
Thanks for new update! But on Snapdragon based devices emulator still works slower Sad
Some people says that they got full speed in Bleach and really good FPS in Mortal Kombat. Bleach is very slow on my Xperia TX (MSM8260-A 2x1.5GHz Krait cores and Adreno 225 GPU). And Mortal Kombat not even close to full speed. Sorry for my bad English.

Sony Xperia TX
01-30-2013, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 03:44 PM by Carter07.)
(01-30-2013 03:11 PM)XenoN Wrote:  Thanks for new update! But on Snapdragon based devices emulator still works slower Sad
Some people says that they got full speed in Bleach and really good FPS in Mortal Kombat. Bleach is very slow on my Xperia TX (MSM8260-A 2x1.5GHz Krait cores and Adreno 225 GPU). And Mortal Kombat not even close to full speed. Sorry for my bad English

Bleach is not full speed in android yet, only in windows it is.
01-30-2013, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 03:52 PM by JumperTwo.)
(01-30-2013 03:11 PM)XenoN Wrote:  Thanks for new update! But on Snapdragon based devices emulator still works slower Sad
Some people says that they got full speed in Bleach and really good FPS in Mortal Kombat. Bleach is very slow on my Xperia TX (MSM8260-A 2x1.5GHz Krait cores and Adreno 225 GPU). And Mortal Kombat not even close to full speed. Sorry for my bad English.

Mortal Kombat Unchained already run at fullspeed on a Samsung Galaxy S2 (1.2 ghz A9) so you shouldn't have problems with a (newer and more powerful) Krait clocked at 1.5 ghz. maybe your low speed issue is releated with this :
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=827
01-30-2013, 04:15 PM
(01-30-2013 03:50 PM)JumperTwo Wrote:  

Mortal Kombat Unchained already run at fullspeed on a Samsung Galaxy S2 (1.2 ghz A9) so you shouldn't have problems with a (newer and more powerful) Krait clocked at 1.5 ghz. maybe your low speed issue is releated with this :
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=827
Do you have Galaxy S2? Can you upload little video? And I got same speed with/without buffered render and 2x render resolution (very small difference) :/ Thanks in advance.

Sony Xperia TX