Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Virtual Controls in Windows 8.1
12-21-2013, 05:51 AM
Virtual Controls in Windows 8.1
I'm not sure if anyone else has tested this, so maybe it's something specific to my hardware, but I've been using the on screen touch controls on my (non-RT) Windows 8.1 tablet. The analog stick control operates correctly, but getting a response from any of the other buttons requires a double touch instead of a single touch. Resizing and moving the controls makes no difference and there is no difference between full screen mode vs windowed mode (tried that in case windowed mode had some sort of focus stealing issue).

If it helps, this is the Asus T100 with one of the new Bay Trail atom processors, and it runs 32 bit Windows 8.1. I've tried multiple games.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2013, 10:09 AM
RE: Virtual Controls in Windows 8.1
The issue is probably that the Windows version of PPSSPP does not yet have multitouch support, so when you hold the stick using your left thumb, it might ignore presses on other parts of the screen.
12-22-2013, 11:40 AM
it's a common problem with games that aren't built specifically with touch support under windows.
i think right-click simulation is what's getting in the way here.

i don't think multi-touch is the problem.
12-22-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty sure it isn't a multitouch issue as I've tested it enough to see that it always requires a double tap no matter what.

I remember a thread popped up about this on the desmume forums at some point for using the touch controls to control the second screen. It was an issue in newer versions of windows but not XP. Not sure if the problem is related or whether they found a fix though.
01-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Hi, Henrik! I have Windows 8 (x64) tablet Samsung XE700Pro. Please do multitouch and fix the problem,
occurs when you press the touch buttons. Now touch response by pressing a button, unless
click on it 1-2 times or spend on it. Multitouch is very necessary, because many of the actions in the game can only be performed
while pressing a few buttons. I will gladly buy GOLD version of the program, if it earned TOUCH
MANAGEMENT multitouch. Looking forward to. Hello from Russia!
01-19-2014, 07:24 PM
I have the same issue on a Dell Venue 8 Pro. Even if I am not touching anywhere else on the screen, I need to double-tap all of the onscreen buttons. The PS/home button doesn't seem to do anything.
01-20-2014, 10:00 AM
This may be due to the fact that the window doesn't accept touch events by default and then windows gets into this weird legacy mode where it sends mouse clicks instead of touch event and/or converts gesture events to the scrollwheel or others.

Could you try this build please: https://mega.co.nz/#!poBCCJrI!Kanr-kTyFx...UUF1NlI72E
01-20-2014, 04:20 PM
I get an error about ppage.zim not being found (or similar, if you need the exact error, let me know) and the controls all look square, but the buttons respond much, much better!
01-20-2014, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2014 05:51 PM by Bigpet.)
(01-20-2014 04:20 PM)quarky Wrote:  I get an error about ppage.zim not being found (or similar, if you need the exact error, let me know) and the controls all look square, but the buttons respond much, much better!

I think I somehow fucked up the packaging, I don't usually do that (you could try to just copy the *.exe files into an existing ppsspp directory). Good to hear that it works on an actual device too, just a little for me weird to write stuff and then only ever test it in a simulator with a modified build.
01-20-2014, 06:02 PM
I really appreciate you trying to sort it out! I will put the previous latest build back on, copy your version back over, and let you know what happens.
01-20-2014, 09:25 PM
It works much better now in game. Unfortunately, I can't seem to scroll up and down out of the game (when trying to adjust settings) but that isn't the end of the world as I can use the menu's. I can however "touch" the settings I can see (which will activate/deactivate as if clicked).

Thanks!
01-21-2014, 04:24 PM
(01-20-2014 09:25 PM)quarky Wrote:  It works much better now in game. Unfortunately, I can't seem to scroll up and down out of the game (when trying to adjust settings) but that isn't the end of the world as I can use the menu's. I can however "touch" the settings I can see (which will activate/deactivate as if clicked).

Thanks!

Scrolling is broken because currently only touch_id 0 is used for gesture recognition. But in windows I reserved the touch id of 0 for the mouse cursor, I'm gonna just start enumerating points with 0 too and ignore possible collision with simultaneous mouse use. When this change will be included in the emulator you won't have this issue anymore.

I have to solve another issue before that. For me, when I touch inside the emulator I can't use the windows menus and close/minimize/maximize buttons via touch anymore. It would be nice if you could tell me whether this happens for you too.

So, open ppsspp, touch around inside the window (go into settings for example) and then try to touch the menu (File,emulation,debug) and try to touch the minimize and maximize buttons and tell me whether they work.
01-22-2014, 07:49 PM
(01-21-2014 04:24 PM)Bigpet Wrote:  So, open ppsspp, touch around inside the window (go into settings for example) and then try to touch the menu (File,emulation,debug) and try to touch the minimize and maximize buttons and tell me whether they work.

Hi Bigpet, I tried that, and it the menus and mini/max buttons seem to work fine!
01-23-2014, 08:51 AM
(01-22-2014 07:49 PM)quarky Wrote:  Hi Bigpet, I tried that, and it the menus and mini/max buttons seem to work fine!

Thanks for testing, it was a mistake I made for my local build. The feature will probably be merged (with fixed scrolling) by the next stable release. But the thing is that we probably won't include the feature in the downloads on the website because this could break WindowsXP compatibility (... I know, but it is what it is).
01-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Thanks Bigpet.

So, silly question, but if I want to download an update in the future, did I read correctly that it will be in the build linked on the main page (so after 0.9.6), but not in the daily builds?