Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
question regarding breakpoints
12-11-2013, 12:12 AM
question regarding breakpoints
what exactly is a memory breakpoint and how does it work,

also let's say i wanted the emulator to pause whenever a value is written to memory that isn't an instruction, how would i do that?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2013, 05:35 AM
RE: question regarding breakpoints
Well, currently they pause the emulator when any value is written to that address. It's possible to add condition support but a little bit of a pain so no one has done it yet.

You can do an address range. It doesn't support writes from HLE, though (video, memcpy, etc.)

What do you mean by, "isn't an instruction?" It breaks on MIPS instructions like "sw", "sv.q", etc. It doesn't know whether it's writing an instruction, texture data, stack, etc.

-[Unknown]
12-11-2013, 04:43 PM
(12-11-2013 05:35 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Well, currently they pause the emulator when any value is written to that address. It's possible to add condition support but a little bit of a pain so no one has done it yet.

You can do an address range. It doesn't support writes from HLE, though (video, memcpy, etc.)

What do you mean by, "isn't an instruction?" It breaks on MIPS instructions like "sw", "sv.q", etc. It doesn't know whether it's writing an instruction, texture data, stack, etc.

-[Unknown]

id like to try this condition support whats the syntax
12-11-2013, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 08:42 PM by dlanor.)
(12-11-2013 04:43 PM)grief3r Wrote:  id like to try this condition support whats the syntax

I think you misunderstood what '[Unknown]' said about 'condition support'.
What he said simply means that such support is not yet implemented.
So there is no way for anyone to try it with the current versions.

Best regards: dlanor
06-30-2015, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2015 09:20 PM by grief3r.)
well i just noticed this old thread and wondering if this yet support conditional breakpoints

"What do you mean by, "isn't an instruction?" It breaks on MIPS instructions like "sw", "sv.q", etc. It doesn't know whether it's writing an instruction, texture data, stack, etc."

i didnt quite understand how breakpoints worked at the time but i was referring to whenever an instruction to be executed gets replaced with another for instance when you switch to a different screen such as the main menu the address storing that instruction becomes a completely different one, which i have actually tried doing and it does break at the instruction writing over that piece of memory.
07-01-2015, 04:51 AM
Oh, sure. Ultimately, that is just a sw usually.

Although, another case for that might be "relocations". This is where the OS (which is HLE) automatically modifies pointers for you between loaded modules. I'm not sure offhand if those trigger breakpoints right now...

-[Unknown]