Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Beast - True Octa-Core smartphone
11-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Thumbs Up Beast - True Octa-Core smartphone
This phone is 'True' Octa-Core. Could it play PS2 Smile - http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-299-Z...re_id49548
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2013, 05:34 PM
RE: Beast - True Octa-Core smartphone
The Galaxy S5 also will be true octa-core and also ARMv8.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
11-30-2013, 05:44 PM
This will surely run slower than Gs3/note2 because cpu is slow (Cortex A7) and ppsspp can't use more than 2 cores.
11-30-2013, 05:46 PM
So it is no good? For emulators..
11-30-2013, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2013 05:50 PM by GuilhermeGS2.)
The Galaxy Note 3 make 30k or more on Antutu benchmark.

EDIT: This phone made 28k

(11-30-2013 05:46 PM)Terminator Wrote:  So it is no good? For emulators..

It's good, but not is the most powerful currently. And the Cortex A7 is more slow than Cortex A9, for example.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
12-01-2013, 03:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 02:09 PM by VIRGIN KLM.)
Remember what I say here:
STAY AWAY FROM MEDIATEK PRODUCTS.
There IS a reason they cost that much.
This phone performs simmilarly to something between Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 at best.
Also just because they learned the trick of Samsung and HTC how to cheat on benchmarks it doesn't mean it's really worth the points, oh and for the record, that number is pretty bad for what it promises to deliver and average-ish for today's standars.
With 299$, I'm sure you can get a device that performs ALOT better and it's not 8-core (that in the end of the day is a bottlenecking factor for PPSSPP).
EPIC FAIL.
12-01-2013, 09:47 AM
For emulation, 2 fast cores is way better than 8 slow ones. This does not seem especially interesting.
12-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Henrik is right. Plus, if is hard make a emulator to use 2 cores, imagine make to use 8 cores. And how it will use 8 cores? Processors and cores aren't the most important things for emulation, but mainly the GPU.

01-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Yeah, FYI, samsung galaxy S4 use an octa-core processor, but not a real octa-core, because the architectures is not like ARM v7 or ARM v15, but a new architecture called ARM BiG.little Combining a quad core 1.6 ghz cortex a15 with 1.2 ghz cortex a7. And the processors name is Exynos 5 Octa 5410.
And now, mediatek make the first true octa-core processor. But, the processor speed is 1.7 ghz. Maybe a snapdragon 800 quad-core better than mediatek's octa-core processor (2.2 ghz).
01-10-2014, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 03:02 PM by naoan.)
(12-01-2013 03:10 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote:  With 299$, I'm sure you can get a device that performs ALOT better and it's not 8-core (that in the end of the day is a bottlenecking factor for PPSSPP).
EPIC FAIL.

Unless you live where you can get phone with subsidized contract (and actually end up way pricier on long term), not really, there are nothing from big manufacturer that can stand against that phone as a package (1080p, great camera, and depending on the brand, solidly built) or counting only raw cpu and gpu power (it has mali 450 gpu) for the price.

You can say "cheat" all you want but mediatek use ARM reference design (a7) and the quad core iteration that came out last year has been proven to be very fluid.

I agree that octa is redundant for a smartphone and rather have 4 fast cores with good battery life, but it's more than enough for day to day phone and casual mobile gaming. But it would definitely do worse than 4 fast cortex a15 or even a9 clocked at the same hertz for stuff like ppsspp.

The area you'd have to wary about with this kind of phone are customer and software support, get it right however and you're set for a great phone at very great price nothing at the same range can rival.
01-10-2014, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 05:39 PM by VIRGIN KLM.)
(01-10-2014 02:57 PM)naoan Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 03:10 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote:  With 299$, I'm sure you can get a device that performs ALOT better and it's not 8-core (that in the end of the day is a bottlenecking factor for PPSSPP).
EPIC FAIL.

Unless you live where you can get phone with subsidized contract (and actually end up way pricier on long term), not really, there are nothing from big manufacturer that can stand against that phone as a package (1080p, great camera, and depending on the brand, solidly built) or counting only raw cpu and gpu power (it has mali 450 gpu) for the price.

You can say "cheat" all you want but mediatek use ARM reference design (a7) and the quad core iteration that came out last year has been proven to be very fluid.

I agree that octa is redundant for a smartphone and rather have 4 fast cores with good battery life, but it's more than enough for day to day phone and casual mobile gaming. But it would definitely do worse than 4 fast cortex a15 or even a9 clocked at the same hertz for stuff like ppsspp.

The area you'd have to wary about with this kind of phone are customer and software support, get it right however and you're set for a great phone at very great price nothing at the same range can rival.

I do not live on a country that subsidized contracts are famous and actually I am really against them because it's the stupidiest thing people do in Western countries.

Having had experience with these devices, what they promise is LIGHT YEARS away from what they DO deliver so, yes you can take a phone with the same budget and be atleast a bit better than it if not alot better. Only the fact of zero software & costumer support is a huge dealbreaker in Android universe and defeats the whole idea of buying an Android device.

But the real deal breaker is that ALWAYS those phones promise WAY more of what they actually are able to deliver and this is what you must remember from this whole post. I will not say the typical you pay for what you get, but I'll say you will NEVER pay less than what you get, maybe a fair price but this is not the case.
01-10-2014, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 05:11 PM by naoan.)
Again not every device of the kind built the same, brand affect the quality to some degree, research them properly and don't just buy it blindly, if you want it to be extra sure big local brand like Xiaomi is proven to be good on most account for example.

Of course support would be pretty barren especially since those phone usually only available over sea and from pretty small company, but those are the kind of thing people buying it should be aware first thing. Even if they do honor the warranty the shipping cost alone would be pretty exorbitant for example, that's the risk you inevitably have to take. Don't want to? then don't buy it.

What are they promising that you didn't get anyway? and do you think big marketing fluff only apply to this kind of device?

It sucks that your experience is bad with those but it's really just one anecdotal evidence where if anyone look around enough they will find the opposite of what happen to you, those doesn't make it a fact for everyone else.
03-29-2014, 12:27 PM
then how do you guys feel about the Oppo Find 7(599USD) or the Huawei Ascend Sx(860USD)? My sole reason for upgrading is to play PPSSPP at the highest resolution possible.

Oppo 7 uses the 2.5GHz Snapdragon 801 and the Huawei uses its own new 64-bit CPU

(12-01-2013 03:10 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote:  Remember what I say here:
STAY AWAY FROM MEDIATEK PRODUCTS.
There IS a reason they cost that much.
This phone performs simmilarly to something between Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 at best.
Also just because they learned the trick of Samsung and HTC how to cheat on benchmarks it doesn't mean it's really worth the points, oh and for the record, that number is pretty bad for what it promises to deliver and average-ish for today's standars.
With 299$, I'm sure you can get a device that performs ALOT better and it's not 8-core (that in the end of the day is a bottlenecking factor for PPSSPP).
EPIC FAIL.

Please tell what country you live in, and how you are able to get these powerful devices for under 300$