Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Android ART - new opportunity for PPSSPP?
11-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Lightbulb Android ART - new opportunity for PPSSPP?
Hello!
New android 4.4 has been released with quite a big feature: Android Runtime (ART) so I created that thread to ask a developers how this could affect a PPSSPP performance. Maybe it will be a huge leap forward for this emulator or maybe this will just not work like that?
Thanks in advance for any answers Smile.

PC: AMD Athlon II X250, GeForce 8600 GT, 2Gb RAM, Win 7 SP1 32bit
Android:
Xperia mini pro 2.3.4
Nexus 7 2012 4.4.x
Find all posts by this user
11-20-2013, 10:10 PM
RE: Android ART - new opportunity for PPSSPP?
Sorry to disappoint but ART applies for applications written in Java, while PPSSPP is almost exclusively C++.
11-21-2013, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2013 12:04 AM by VIRGIN KLM.)
While the main part/body of the emulator is programmed in C++ you need ALWAYS to have the important classes for Dalvik on Android which could always be changed to ART. It could potentialy help devices with less RAM, for example on allocating less memory for some stuff leaving more space for non-latin fonts that take ALOT of RAM. I'm sure the devs could come up with a better idea. Also the idea of AOT compilation sounds intriguing, I was thinking as an idea (maybe just maybe) it could be useful for the (p)re-compilation of MIPS to ARM in some creative way. Instead of some common stuff being recompilated on the fly the could be pre-compiled/ready to execute already (if that makes sense). This would create something like a optimization file though.
11-21-2013, 04:23 AM
The most ART could do is make Android generally take less resources away from PPSSPP, e.g. your background tasks written in Java.

For all intents and purposes you should consider PPSSPP to already be "AOT compiled." It is compiled. And this was done ahead of time. Java's jit doesn't apply to PPSSPP, not to its own jit, or anything else.

Applying AOT to PPSSPP is a separate topic, but generally speaking it won't improve FPS within games, at most it could improve startup time slightly. A smarter AOT jit might help, but again, it's completely unrelated to ART which is a jit for Java bytecode afaiu, not for MIPS code.

-[Unknon]
11-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks for replies Smile. I was just curious how ART could affect an application written in different than java language. Also, emulators are totally diffrent in way they working and no one write anything about ART and emulators relations.
Sorry for any typos and so on Tongue
And I guess that this thread could be closed now.

PC: AMD Athlon II X250, GeForce 8600 GT, 2Gb RAM, Win 7 SP1 32bit
Android:
Xperia mini pro 2.3.4
Nexus 7 2012 4.4.x
11-21-2013, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2013 10:16 AM by vnctdj.)
(11-21-2013 10:14 AM)Grimmer Wrote:  And I guess that this thread could be closed now.

Closed Wink

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
Thread Closed