Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Translating a game HELP
11-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Translating a game HELP
Hi I searched a bit and could not find anything That would really help me. I know there are people that translate PSP games from other languages to their own and I was wondering if anyone knew how they did it? If not could you point me to a place that explains it or to a person I could contact that already does it so I could figure out how they do it? I want to translate. Genso Suikoden: The Woven Web of a Century or Genso Suikoden Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki.

Thank you for any and all help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2013, 09:43 PM
RE: Translating a game HELP
Depends on the game, but you need access to the games script files. They will be on the UMD or an ISO of it. 7zip can open ISO files. Most likely they aren't plaintext, but encrypted or encoded. You need to figure out the encoding, make a program to unpack those files, translate them and then repack them. Plus any images that have text in them will need to be decoded, edited and reencoded.

Your first step is to figure out the encoding the game uses and which files are the script files.

This a really over simplified explanation though.
11-07-2013, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 01:31 AM by shan109.)
(11-06-2013 09:43 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote:  You need to figure out the encoding, make a program to unpack those files, translate them and then repack them. Plus any images that have text in them will need to be decoded, edited and reencoded.

Your first step is to figure out the encoding the game uses and which files are the script files.

I also want to do some game translations but I'm quite lazy to do/learn about this "first step." If there is just a way to extract all the texts from a game and then once translated, will automatically replace all the old texts, I'll gladly do some game translations during my free time... It will be a great practice for the upcoming JLPT.
11-07-2013, 04:13 AM
(11-06-2013 09:43 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote:  Depends on the game, but you need access to the games script files. They will be on the UMD or an ISO of it. 7zip can open ISO files. Most likely they aren't plaintext, but encrypted or encoded. You need to figure out the encoding, make a program to unpack those files, translate them and then repack them. Plus any images that have text in them will need to be decoded, edited and reencoded.

The best tool is UMDGEN to extract and put thing back Big Grin

I worse write english so take easy on me
(even my own language realy bad T_T)

Rig to test now :
Windows 8 64 bit (Laptop)
Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Nvidia GT720M 2GB
11-07-2013, 08:07 AM
for me, (my opinion)
in addition to game translation,
studying the language is fun too!
for example, i study japanese, so someday i can play japanese psp game Big Grin

Reality is a Lovely Place, But i Wouldn't Wanna Live There..
• • gLoBe ~
11-07-2013, 02:45 PM
lol I am trying to pick up some Japanese for the same reason.
11-07-2013, 02:55 PM
(11-07-2013 02:45 PM)bigal80ak Wrote:  lol I am trying to pick up some Japanese for the same reason.

you're studying to? speaking is a bit easy, but writing..
Shoot ! difficult! i memorized hiragana already, but kanji? very hard Sad

• • gLoBe ~
11-07-2013, 08:22 PM
(11-06-2013 09:43 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote:  Depends on the game, but you need access to the games script files. They will be on the UMD or an ISO of it. 7zip can open ISO files. Most likely they aren't plaintext, but encrypted or encoded. You need to figure out the encoding, make a program to unpack those files, translate them and then repack them. Plus any images that have text in them will need to be decoded, edited and reencoded.

Correct. Also, you need to learn the ASM in order to make it properly. In all honesty this thread should be put on offtopic, but your best bet is to ask on gbatemp (granted, this was asked tons of times already).

Since English is not my first language sorry for some misspelling on my posts
11-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Moved.

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
11-09-2013, 10:59 PM
How can I tell which file holds the text?
11-10-2013, 12:11 AM
There is a project to translate Suikoden:
http://www.pspgweber.com/forums/viewtopi...96&t=32510

I hope to see the English translation of this game.
11-10-2013, 01:23 AM
yeah I thought that link was dead I made the last post a while ago and no response and I have not herd any good news?
11-10-2013, 05:30 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 05:31 AM by globe94.)
if only all japanese games has "select language" in options menu. then we wouldn't need patches Sad

wishful thinking Sad

• • gLoBe ~
11-10-2013, 05:38 AM
(11-10-2013 05:30 AM)globe94 Wrote:  if only all japanese games has "select language" in options menu. then we wouldn't need patches Sad

wishful thinking Sad

keep wishing I know maybe some will create hack that can exceed sentence limit Tongue (translate thing is not easy stuff)

I worse write english so take easy on me
(even my own language realy bad T_T)

Rig to test now :
Windows 8 64 bit (Laptop)
Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Nvidia GT720M 2GB
11-10-2013, 05:58 AM
The only tool I know for translating games is the Hex Editor, I've only seen it used in translating DS games and Game Boy Advance games though.

Feel Free To Visit My Youtube Channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos