Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Translating a game HELP
11-10-2013, 06:05 AM
RE: Translating a game HELP
(11-10-2013 05:58 AM)Buko Pandan Wrote:  The only tool I know for translating games is the Hex Editor, I've only seen it used in translating DS games and Game Boy Advance games though.

I though one game should has they own hack translate tool.
I read that somewhere Smile

I worse write english so take easy on me
(even my own language realy bad T_T)

Rig to test now :
Windows 8 64 bit (Laptop)
Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Nvidia GT720M 2GB
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2013, 07:16 PM
(11-10-2013 05:58 AM)Buko Pandan Wrote:  The only tool I know for translating games is the Hex Editor, I've only seen it used in translating DS games and Game Boy Advance games though.

This depends if the game's text is encrypted or not. Long time ago I tried it myself, I did translate some stuff on a Zoids DS game, obviously is a pain in the backdoor, it's more of a waste of time, making a unpacker and packer is ten times better.

Since English is not my first language sorry for some misspelling on my posts
11-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Unpacker and Packer?

When I extract the files with umdgen which file will have the text?
When I open I see weird files but how do I then open them to see what they entail?
11-10-2013, 08:29 PM
(11-10-2013 08:10 PM)bigal80ak Wrote:  Hi I have been trying to get in to patch a game called genso suikoden tsumugareshi hyakunen no toki there was a project to translate it but I think its dead cant really find anything about it does anyone on here know?

Plus I got to the point where I load the game on umdgen so I can see all the files now how do I figure out which one has Dialouge to translate? Srry NOOB HERE
Thanks for any help.

@bigal80ak
The other thread is for news. Let's use this thread.

Thanks for translating the game. You need to know how the Japanese text is encoded (UTF8, UTF16, or some strange thing for Japanese). If Latin letters are not supported by the game, you would have to change the asm code and it is a task for rom hackers.

Try asking to the author of the old project about all hacked info they have. He may help you.
http://www.pspgweber.com/forums/viewtopi...96&t=32510

There are some notable communities with rom hackers and they may help you with translation. Since you know Japanese, a rom hacker that does not know Japanese may want to help you.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/
http://gbatemp.net/forums/psp-hacking-homebrew.224/
08-04-2019, 05:58 AM
(11-06-2013 01:16 PM)bigal80ak Wrote:  Hi I searched a bit and could not find anything That would really help me. I know there are people that translate PSP games from other languages to their own and I was wondering if anyone knew how they did it? If not could you point me to a place that explains it or to a person I could contact that already does it so I could figure out how they do it? I want to translate. Genso Suikoden: The Woven Web of a Century or Genso Suikoden Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki.

Thank you for any and all help.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?th...es.107721/
08-28-2019, 11:11 AM
(11-10-2013 05:30 AM)globe94 Wrote:  if only all japanese games has "select language" in options menu. then we wouldn't need patches Sad
I actually got into an argument over this with a user on YouTube. It basically went like this;

Me: When they're writing this games, they should add an English option so that the games can be played outside of Japan.

Him: It would cost too much for them to hire someone to do the translation.

Me: All the game company would have to do is ask for volunteers and they'd get people willing to translate the game for free. People already do that with no help at all from the company. If they were provided the script to the game with all the text, it would be simple for them to provide an English translation that the company could include in the game.

Him: It wouldn't be simple, it would be impossible. Written Japanese can't be understood out of context. A script of all the text in the game would be completely useless.

Me: So how do the Japanese understand the text when they see it in the game?

Him: You're an idiot! If you want to play these games go learn Japanese or just figure them out!

So if you take the text off the screen and paste it into a document, it suddenly becomes meaningless? Rolleyes
09-04-2019, 12:28 AM
(08-28-2019 11:11 AM)Rekrul Wrote:  So if you take the text off the screen and paste it into a document, it suddenly becomes meaningless? Rolleyes

To be fair you are both sort of correct. It will depend on many things, but I can use an example from the Visual Novel genre of games since it is a good example.

For visual novels there are programs like AGTH (Anime games text hooker) that like the name implies can hook (read) the text in a game and offers up on the side of the game window some machine translated text in a different language. If you play a game with this program you very quickly realize exactly how much goes into a "good" translation. There will always have to be compromises between the intention of the original text and the understand-ability of the text. Idioms and word play very rarely survives translation without either being completely changed or loosing all meaning.

That being said I would like at least the framework to be put in to more games to allow for fan translation patches to be done more easily (if at all in some cases). There is a cost associated to doing this and it will have to be something weighed against the potential for increased sales though and is probably not really feasible on console games. Though, making this standard on PC would be a start.

So no it is not impossible, no it is not simple either, no it is not exactly free (even if the translators work for free), and no there might be enough fans that can do a better job then a "professional" translation (video game "professional" translations have an interesting history). If you take into account character limits for interfaces, the various differences in language (and even culture), and all the other challenges in translating a game besides just extracting and repacking the text in a way the game can read it... it still is a very daunting task to undertake. For the people who do this, I personally would like for game developers to make the process as easy for them as possible though, since it does add a lot to the game industry as a whole.
09-04-2019, 08:43 AM
(09-04-2019 12:28 AM)TkSilver Wrote:  For visual novels there are programs like AGTH (Anime games text hooker) that like the name implies can hook (read) the text in a game and offers up on the side of the game window some machine translated text in a different language. If you play a game with this program you very quickly realize exactly how much goes into a "good" translation. There will always have to be compromises between the intention of the original text and the understand-ability of the text. Idioms and word play very rarely survives translation without either being completely changed or loosing all meaning.

I understand what you mean about the idioms and culture differences, however my exchange with the YouTuber was mainly about menu text and such. I mean, sure I'd like to be able to enjoy the entire story, but if the menus and mission descriptions were in English, at last I'd be able to understand what I was supposed to do? Otherwise, I look at the little icon of a thing that looks like a piston with a price of 50 next to it. What is it? What does it do? Should I buy it? Then you get dropped into a mission and if it's not of the "shoot everything that moves" variety, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I've noticed a trend that fan translators are far more likely to translate text-heavy games like RPGs, than they are to translate something like a Gundam or Macross game. Maybe they figure those games don't need translation, but trying to figure out a bunch of menu options that lead to other menu options, that lead to screens full of stats in Japanese isn't easy. Then I start a mission and I'm flying along in space. Am I supposed to be attacking the large ships or protecting them? OK, there's obvious enemies I can shoot, but why did the mission end in failure even though I didn't get shot down?

I was trying to work out how to play the PS1 game Mobile Suit Gundam: Perfect One Year War. I figured out how to move around the starting map and shoot at the enemies, but there are a bunch of options that don't seem to do anything. After completing that map, I get a bunch of cascading menus with all sorts of options, some kind of carrier/transporter screen, more options, etc. I got completely lost.

(09-04-2019 12:28 AM)TkSilver Wrote:  That being said I would like at least the framework to be put in to more games to allow for fan translation patches to be done more easily (if at all in some cases).

Unfortunately, companies seem to hate fan translations. In the movie/TV scene, it's much easier (from a technical standpoint) to make translated subtitles for other languages and the studios treat these subs like they're a plaque that needs to be wiped out. Sad
07-09-2021, 06:18 PM
(07-09-2021 10:22 AM)zaynryan Wrote:  You can simply download the english language roms for a better experience. All the games are made in English, if not there are subtitles for it.

Really?

Can you point me to English versions of the three Macross games for the PSP? And the game Nano Diver?