Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fix for issue 4306 disabled 'Esc' and Android 'Back' from exiting paused state
10-26-2013, 02:40 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2013 02:41 AM by dlanor.)
Fix for issue 4306 disabled 'Esc' and Android 'Back' from exiting paused state
Like the thread title says, the recent fix for issue 4306 has disabled the keyboard 'Esc' key and the Android 'Back' button from exiting the in-game menu back into the paused game.

This was tested with build 2165 both for Android (on my OUYA) and for x64 under Windows 7.

This quick button/key method has always been my preferred method of exiting from that menu, especially on my OUYA, where I have the 'pause' function on the gamepad button L3, so that an overly frenetic use of the analog stick sometimes pauses the game and opens the in-game menu.

That was no big problem when all I needed to do was to click the 'A' button on the gamepad (corresponds to PS2 'O' button) to get back to the game again.

But now this no longer works, and I must use DPad six times to navigate to the on-screen "Continue" button, since that is now the only way to get back to the game.

Theoretically I can use the OUYA touchpad or a mouse to reach the on-screen button instead, but that doesn't work well since the OUYA uses a non-linear mouse/pad accelerator, so its 'aim' is horrible. Positioning the pointer precisely over any on-screen button is even slower than repeated gamepad button presses.

NB: I'm opening a github issue on this functionality loss.

Best regards: dlanor
Find all posts by this user
10-26-2013, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2013 12:13 PM by naoan.)
RE: Fix for issue 4306 disabled 'Esc' and Android 'Back' from exiting paused state
Agree, this is also very very annoying in windows, any chance to change it back to old behavior? I understand that disabling back on android phone make sense but there's little chance for anyone to mishit esc key in windows or on android console like ouya so I hope the devs could at least change it back on windows or make it configurable for every platform.
10-26-2013, 01:21 PM
RE: Fix for issue 4306 disabled 'Esc' and Android 'Back' from exiting paused state
(10-26-2013 12:04 PM)naoan Wrote:  Agree, this is also very very annoying in windows, any chance to change it back to old behavior? I understand that disabling back on android phone make sense but there's little chance for anyone to mishit esc key in windows or on android console like ouya so I hope the devs could at least change it back on windows or make it configurable for every platform.

I honestly see no need to have it configurable even, though I wouldn't object to it.
The use of 'Esc' and Android 'Back' to exit from the menu is how it always has been since I started using PPSSPP (admittedly not so long ago), and I've never seen anyone complaining about accidentally leaving the menu.

Since this is the established PPSSPP usage, I suggest it simply be restored.

To me it seems that some code cleanup involved in implementing the 'onFinish' functionality for exit from submenus accidentally removed the ability to exit using 'Esc' or Android 'Back' from the main in-game menu, possibly because it doesn't have the same need for an 'onFinish' method like the submenus do (and they can still be exited with 'Esc' and Android 'Back').

So I just want the original functionality restored.
(Possibly by implementing new 'onFinish' code for the main in-game menu.)

10-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Sorry, this was a mistake.

I'll fix it tomorrow.
10-27-2013, 02:43 AM
(10-26-2013 05:59 PM)Henrik Wrote:  Sorry, this was a mistake.

Yes, I assumed as much. This kind of mistake is easily made when making major changes to the internal structure of menu handlers, such as the new onFinish method you added.

Quote:I'll fix it tomorrow.

Thanks! I look forward to having convenient 'backing' again. Smile

10-27-2013, 08:42 AM
I've fixed this now, I think. Works for me.
10-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Hm, still a bit flickery on android. will take another look.
10-27-2013, 08:51 AM
okay, should work well now.
10-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Thank you Smile
10-27-2013, 10:55 PM
(10-27-2013 08:51 AM)Henrik Wrote:  okay, should work well now.

Thanks Henrik, it works perfectly for me now, tested with build 2214 on the same platforms as before.
(Win7_x64 PC, Android(ICS) on DMTech Tablet, Android(JB) on OUYA)

10-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Problem resolved, so I can close this thread Smile

Closed.

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
Thread Closed