Poll: Is your Snapdragon powered device affected by this issue?
This poll is closed.
Yes, is slower than any other device when it shouldn't, even with adviced tweaks 85.19% 46 85.19%
No, it runs everything pretty smooth 14.81% 8 14.81%
Total 54 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Current state of Snapdragon-based CPUs in PPSSPP
11-22-2013, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2013 07:33 AM by KingpinZero.)
RE: Current state of Snapdragon-based CPUs in PPSSPP
(11-21-2013 10:11 PM)Henrik Wrote:  @xsacha, that one seems to imply that we should add THUMB-2 support to the JIT for optimal performance on Krait. That's so much work though that I'm really not sure I can be bothered...

Depends only on what direction you and the team want PPSSPP to take. You thrown the emu on android platforms almost immediatly after the first public release, almost stating boldly that Android was one of the team target platform.

The success this wonderful piece of code on android proved you right Smile

Fact is: Snapdragon CPUS are slowly begin to be "THE" hardware on androids (like Apple SGX ecosystem). S4,S600,S800 and S805 are basically being adopted from every brand, even chinese cheap ones such Lenovo, ZTE, Oppo and so on.

Which means that Snapdragon will be the baseline of Android devices in the future. Unfortunately afaik the NEON performance is something lacking even in S800, same will be with newer S805.
Same happens with S200 and S400.

This leads to me to think: is safe to not further optimize PPSSPP code because it will require a huge amount of work (like you said), by not implementing Thumb-2?

If that optimization isnt take into account, what will be the android version future, when snapdragons will be the largest machine base out there?

Questions questions....point is that Software Skinning proved that boosting performance is something that can be done without rewriting the whole code, which is awesome.

If is true that further optimizations can be done, i think we can stay with what we have right now. But as far as the optimization goes, decisions needs to be taken. In the future, which is approaching fast (as soon as Q1 2014 kicks in, we will see a flood of Snapdragon devices), what will be of ppsspp android?

[Gaming PC]: i7 3770k @ 4,6ghz - 8gb DDR3 1600 G.Skill Ares - GTX 780Ti AMP! - Windows 8 pro x64 - Asus VG248QE
[Mobile]: Iphone 5s 16gb Space Grey - Galaxy S3 GT-i9305 LTE
[Android]: Nvidia Shield
[Consoles]: PsVita - Crisis Core Limited Edition PSP - PS4
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Current state of Snapdragon-based CPUs in PPSSPP - KingpinZero - 11-22-2013 06:23 AM