Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
newest build crashes when changing options
10-13-2013, 04:46 PM
newest build crashes when changing options
I downloaded recent build of PPSSPP just to see if there will be any improvement. But everytime I change ANY (change date, sound options, system options etc) of the options it crashes no matter if it's in-game or before. Previously I had version from google play and it worked perfectly. My device is Xperia Play. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2013, 04:49 PM
RE: newest build crashes when changing options
well, recent builds are not stable compared to googleplay official release. so, recent builds has possibilities of slowdowns,crashes, missing sound, graphics , etc.

Reality is a Lovely Place, But i Wouldn't Wanna Live There..
• • gLoBe ~
10-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks. I guess I'll go back to google play version
10-13-2013, 04:53 PM
okay, but check recent builds too, because it has many improvements compared to official release. i just hope you find a fine build though, haha..

• • gLoBe ~
10-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Thanks again I've just downloaded older build but still never than google play version, and it works. It has a couple of nice options too. Smile
10-13-2013, 05:23 PM
you're welcome!

enjoy playing!

• • gLoBe ~
10-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Fix coming up later tonight.
10-14-2013, 08:16 PM
(10-13-2013 05:26 PM)Henrik Wrote:  Fix coming up later tonight.

I wonder if this is related to the missing "MemStick\PSP\SYSTEM" issue I had under Windows. Saving changed settings into the new locations can cause problems if the folder that is to receive the settings file doesn't exist at the time, and the program code doing the saving neglects to check for it.

I haven't tested the same build (1864) on my Android devices yet, but if it does crash there for me as well, I'll try fixing it by creating the expected "SYSTEM" subfolder manually (with "ES File Explorer").

Best regards: dlanor
10-14-2013, 08:30 PM
No, it was related to how checkboxes and popups were listening to events.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
10-15-2013, 07:32 PM
(10-14-2013 08:30 PM)daxtsu Wrote:  No, it was related to how checkboxes and popups were listening to events.
I see.

In any case I didn't have any problems in my tests with build 1864 on my Android devices, though there was one thing that puzzled me a bit.

I thought one of the major changes was to move the ppsspp.ini and controls.ini files into a subfolder of the "PSP" folder in the memstick area (wherever that might be, depending on platform and "installed.txt"). But for me that ONLY happened on the PC, where it is least needed.

On my Android devices these files are still stored only in the hidden folders of ppsspp inside the "/data/data" area which requires root access.

And here I thought that the whole point of this change was to make those files accessible to users of unrooted Android devices. Undecided
Apparently I was wrong... (or else the code failed to work as intended) Huh

10-15-2013, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2013 07:36 PM by Henrik.)
If you put a replacement ppsspp.ini in PSP/SYSTEM, it will use that instead of the hidden one. it's enough to put an empty one there, it will get filled in.
10-15-2013, 09:14 PM
(10-15-2013 07:35 PM)Henrik Wrote:  If you put a replacement ppsspp.ini in PSP/SYSTEM, it will use that instead of the hidden one. it's enough to put an empty one there, it will get filled in.
Oh, I see how it works now, but this wasn't mentioned in the earlier posts I've seen about these changes.

So to make an updated Android setup conform to the new PPSSPP standards it's necessary for the user to create the subfolder "SYSTEM" inside the existing "PSP" folder on the sdcard, and then copy some "ppsspp.ini" and "controls.ini" files into it (even if empty), as the program will otherwise continue to use the ".ini" files hidden away in the root filesystem.

And what about a brand new installation on Android. Will PPSSPP then create the SYSTEM subfolder and use it for its brand new ".ini" files ? (Since at this time there are no old ones in the root filesystem.) Or is this also delegated to the user ?

NB: I'm not really criticizing this either way. I just want it clarified.