Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Request] Standard patch support
09-21-2013, 04:59 PM
RE: [Request] Standard patch support
As he says, modifying the ISO directly is not really the easiest way. But using raw files is fine, although people like patches that are "just" a file.

In Senjou no Valkyria 3 for example, there's a big PGD encrypted file (it goes online so I assume this is to prevent cheating.)

The data file is packed using CRIware, and some of the files within it are compressed using CRILAYLA, a not-very-effective compression scheme. Anyway, to patch it, I'd need the capability to patch the TOC (which is not hard and in a fixed place), lengthen the file (when replacing with larger files), and all of this bypassing PGD.

It's preferable to use xor'd data in the patch to ensure there's no copyright concerns. This game for example mixes text with actual structs describing units and information about them, and I'd only be patching the text (in some cases lengthening it and modifying its descriptor, of course.)

I believe Kingdom Hearts is basically the same. Replacing files on the ISO doesn't work for many games, since they often use one big fat file on the ISO so it's basically the same as replacing the ISO, and shares many of the same copyright concerns.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[Request] Standard patch support - Squall - 09-21-2013, 02:42 AM
RE: [Request] Standard patch support - [Unknown] - 09-21-2013 04:59 PM