Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Analog left/right dead?
09-20-2013, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2013 04:01 PM by Xhosant.)
Analog left/right dead?
On the major issue: PPSSPP won't receive input matching the "analog stick left" and "analog stick right" commands, from any interface i have.

Assigning keybinds to them works like charm (so no issue in receiving input). In-game, however, both the keyboard buttons and the gamepad ones (that match the analog left/right) simply do nothing. Tested on 2 different games, so that's not the issue either. And the gamepad's driver verifies that input arrives to the computer.

To sum up, PPSSPP receives analog left/right input, but ignores it in-game. Any ideas?

Edit: Problem solved, apparently i checked a box i shouldn't have, sometime (the one exactly bellow "control mapping"). The next issue still stands, however.

On another, probably unrelated note, PPSSPP ignores all input from the gamepad in any usb slot other than the first it was used in. Driver again receives input. No reason to bother with that yet, though, just mentioning this as another possible clue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2013, 03:32 PM
RE: Analog left/right dead?
(09-20-2013 03:12 PM)Xhosant Wrote:  On another, probably unrelated note, PPSSPP ignores all input from the gamepad in any usb slot other than the first it was used in. Driver again receives input. No reason to bother with that yet, though, just mentioning this as another possible clue.

As I see it this is not a PPSSPP bug, but a normal dependency on how your system software identifies USB devices.

I'm not sure what OS your equipment is using (or even if it is a PC, phone or tablet), but in many of them the identification of a device is always tied to whatever port it was connected to.

For example:
If you connect the same USB memory stick to different ports of a Windows PC at different times, the Windows registry will then contain separate device identification entries for each USB port you used that device with. High level OS routines will still be able to identify the drive using other criteria (internal ID codes and partition data etc), but the low-level identification differs for each port. (With additional differences if you sometimes use a hub.)

Like I said, high level filesystem access routines can mostly disregard those differences for storage devices, but low level I/O controller routines such as used for gamepads can not easily do so.

I'm pretty sure you can still make PPSSPP work with your gamepad regardless of which USB port you connect it to (works for me), but you will then have to reconfigure the controller usage each time you switch ports, and that's just not worth the trouble. It's better to just decide on a port to use consistently.

Just for completion I should add that it probably would be possible to recode some of the PPSSPP routines so as to identify USB gamepads differently, making it less dependent on the port used for identification. But that coding would have to be different for each platform PPSSPP is to be built for, so it could be a lot of work, and personally I'd rather have the developers focus their attention on real emulation issues than something like this.

Best regards: dlanor
01-27-2014, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 07:15 AM by quandaar.)
RE: Analog left/right dead?
"Edit: Problem solved, apparently i checked a box i shouldn't have, sometime (the one exactly bellow "control mapping"). The next issue still stands, however."

I'm having this issue. The checkbox I see under "control mapping" is "on-screen touch controls" which has no effect on this problem whether it's checked or not. Can you tell me what option you had to uncheck?

Much appreciated.