Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what makes an emu faster than the other ?
09-23-2013, 09:42 PM
RE: what makes an emu faster than the other ?
lol virgin, he was talking about internal overclock (like faster processing speed in the emulator or slower one Wink) I don't understand how internal downclocking in ppsspp works ahah..

Hey everybody, tired of the way games are reported here? look here ->> http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5901

--Current Mobile device--
Htc one, Xplay, Walkman z, Samsung ace IIx (crap)

--Current Computer--
1x (e8200, shitty ram (3go), 9600gt)
1x (e6750, better ram (2go), no video card)
1x (i5-3210M, ram (4Go),650M)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Yup, that's what I meant. So he was talking about hardware overclocking? so that's why his reply didn't make sense haha

Athlon x4 635 @3.5
660 OC 2GB
4GB DDR3 @7-7-7-20
Gamers cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain something of equal value must be lost that is gaming world's first law of equivalent exchange. In those days, I really believed that would be the world's one and only truth.
Find all posts by this user
09-24-2013, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2013 01:54 PM by VIRGIN KLM.)
(09-23-2013 09:42 PM)cloud1250000 Wrote:  lol virgin, he was talking about internal overclock (like faster processing speed in the emulator or slower one Wink) I don't understand how internal downclocking in ppsspp works ahah..
This is what I was talking about virtual or not.
PSP games are programmed (most of them) like PC games, they have a FPS cap but the speed of the game remains the same regardless of higher or lower clocks or FPS UNLESS the CPU reaches a state that cannot keep up anymore and you notice effective slowdown.
NDS on the opposite side, FPS and clocks (virtual or physical) are binded together. Higher clocks = more FPS = higher speed than normal, lower clocks = less FPS = lower speed than normal. There have been attempts and tricks to overclock NDS by modifying the kernel or with a frequency oscillator but the result is exactly the same since the games are programmed to react this way.
09-25-2013, 01:41 AM
If it's that beneficial then why don't the other devs of other emu implement it ? will it affect compatibility or create more issues ?

Athlon x4 635 @3.5
660 OC 2GB
4GB DDR3 @7-7-7-20
Gamers cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain something of equal value must be lost that is gaming world's first law of equivalent exchange. In those days, I really believed that would be the world's one and only truth.
09-25-2013, 02:27 AM
okay, so basicly, he say that the speed of the game depend on cpu speed because the cpu and the gpu are connected. if you overclock the cpu, the gpu will follow and that why there's no benefit to do that kind of thing with ds emulator and gamecube emulator

Hey everybody, tired of the way games are reported here? look here ->> http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5901

--Current Mobile device--
Htc one, Xplay, Walkman z, Samsung ace IIx (crap)

--Current Computer--
1x (e8200, shitty ram (3go), 9600gt)
1x (e6750, better ram (2go), no video card)
1x (i5-3210M, ram (4Go),650M)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-25-2013, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2013 11:59 AM by VIRGIN KLM.)
It's even worse. Everything, I mean everything on NDS is binded to CPU's clocks. So if you overclock your CPU on NDS it won't only affect speed and FPS but sound too. Since the CPU will run on higher clocks the ADPCM samples it uses for it's SPU will be played back faster and in a higher sample rate than they supposed to (it will sound like it's on a higher pitch) so the visual and audio result you'll get from an overclocked NDS is exactly the same as a video being played back at fast forward.

Gamecube and Wii (Dolphin) though are not the same, they fall in the case of PS2 (PCSX). Overclocking it's CPU may (not importantly) benefit internal slowdowns at cost of accuracy of synced stuff.
09-25-2013, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2013 03:31 PM by akimikage.)
I see. So basically it'll create more problems than bringing any gains ?

How about the GPU then ?
Modern PC GPUs are a lot faster than the GPUs of these consoles. There is a "hack" option on Dolphin called VBeam speed hack which you can turn on where it says "Doubles the emulated GPU clock rate" and it does help a lot with demanding games.

Athlon x4 635 @3.5
660 OC 2GB
4GB DDR3 @7-7-7-20
09-25-2013, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2013 03:41 PM by VIRGIN KLM.)
You can do whatever you can imagine with hardwares like PS2, PSP, Gamecube and Wii. NDS was the exception on the case of clocks.
Even PSOne can get overclocked, physicaly and virtualy and it leads to faster loading times and some better handling in FPS drops.