Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Save state
09-14-2013, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2013 06:50 AM by jacksonheng.)
Save state
i think my previous has been close thread due to same topic tat hav been post many time~
but the question is the apps bug,using the most new version and save state for many times,no problem~
then when u play,it will suddenly save to old version but i dint choose to save to old version~it is not load save state from old version ppsspp,it is most updated version~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2013, 10:32 AM
RE: Save state
sorry but I cant really understand what is the problem you are talking about.. can you make it simplier?

oh and.. btw you cant use your old savestate to your different ppsspp version
09-14-2013, 02:28 PM
(09-14-2013 06:49 AM)jacksonheng Wrote:  i think my previous has been close thread due to same topic tat hav been post many time~
but the question is the apps bug,using the most new version and save state for many times,no problem~
then when u play,it will suddenly save to old version but i dint choose to save to old version~it is not load save state from old version ppsspp,it is most updated version~

i hope i did undeerstand you

well to tell you the truth i stick to only 1 ppsspp build which dont make that bug with save stets

but still when my ppsspp crash i get that bug sometimes

im using v0.8.1-1152-g41f9030 search it in automated builds here
http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

ctrl+f and paste this 1152
to find it

only way around i could find is i make often normal saves in game

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12513
or http://www.x360ce.com
09-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Sorry for my poor english~
ok,simple way to say is save state will crash and save to old version save state file~
mean new version save state save on old version file,make imposible o read it due to old version save file~
09-18-2013, 03:07 AM
(09-18-2013 12:23 AM)jacksonheng Wrote:  Sorry for my poor english~
ok,simple way to say is save state will crash and save to old version save state file~
mean new version save state save on old version file,make imposible o read it due to old version save file~

and thats exact problem i was talking about above

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
09-18-2013, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2013 07:57 AM by Tabman.)
Daxtsu Wrote:Save states from previous builds aren't compatible with newer ones in most cases. Make an in-game save and update your build, then load the in-game save, and make new states to your heart's content. We wrote that error string for a reason.

Furthermore, there are many (many!) posts already about this. Please, use the >>>search<<< before starting a new thread the next time you have a question.

I'm sorry, but I can't constantly keep an eye on all the game compatibility threads I started.
Please send a Private Message if you need some more information.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-21-2013, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2013 09:38 PM by dlanor.)
I suspect that there may be a crucial misunderstanding here, concerning the misuse 'jacksonheng' made of the word 'version'.

I think that when he said things like 'old version savestate' he did NOT mean what it would mean, if someone with a good grasp of the English language said it (which is how most recent posters seem to have taken it). So I do NOT think he was speaking of a savestate in a format from an old PPSSPP version.

Instead I think that his phrase 'old version savestate' simply means 'previous savestate made', and that it was made with the very same emulator version he is still running when the problem occurs.

So as I interpret his posts, his problem is that the emulator sometimes malfunctions in storing a new savestate, and in so doing overwrites the previous savestate with garbage data. (Thus leaving him with no working savestate to reload.)

I may be wrong, but this is the only interpretation of his posts that makes sense to me, in light of his admitted language problems.

If I am right, then a partial workaround for his problem would be for him to alternately swap between savestate slot 1 and slot 2 for each new save. This way he should always be able to reload a fairly recent save, if a new save crashes, as that should then overwrite an older save than the last successful one.

Best regards: dlanor
09-22-2013, 04:22 AM
dlanor u get what i mean~
mayb i should try save state for many slot so if crash still can reload it~
09-22-2013, 04:25 AM
If the save state doesn't load in the same git build, what game is it? It works in most games. It's probably specific to the game you are playing, so it'll be hard to fix without knowing what game.

-[Unknown]
09-22-2013, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2013 05:17 AM by ZeroX4.)
(09-21-2013 09:22 PM)dlanor Wrote:  I suspect that there may be a crucial misunderstanding here, concerning the misuse 'jacksonheng' made of the word 'version'.

I think that when he said things like 'old version savestate' he did NOT mean what it would mean, if someone with a good grasp of the English language said it (which is how most recent posters seem to have taken it). So I do NOT think he was speaking of a savestate in a format from an old PPSSPP version.

Instead I think that his phrase 'old version savestate' simply means 'previous savestate made', and that it was made with the very same emulator version he is still running when the problem occurs.

So as I interpret his posts, his problem is that the emulator sometimes malfunctions in storing a new savestate, and in so doing overwrites the previous savestate with garbage data. (Thus leaving him with no working savestate to reload.)

I may be wrong, but this is the only interpretation of his posts that makes sense to me, in light of his admitted language problems.

If I am right, then a partial workaround for his problem would be for him to alternately swap between savestate slot 1 and slot 2 for each new save. This way he should always be able to reload a fairly recent save, if a new save crashes, as that should then overwrite an older save than the last successful one.

yep and thats the exact problem i was refering to

only way around i know is to make NORMAL in gam SAVE GAME and version of ppsspp i provided above i found to have lowest rate of that bug occure

(09-22-2013 04:25 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  If the save state doesn't load in the same git build, what game is it? It works in most games. It's probably specific to the game you are playing, so it'll be hard to fix without knowing what game.

-[Unknown]

i dont know how for others but for me it happends in all games with no exceptions

09-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Oh, well, there may be bugs in the savestates of that super old version.

-[Unknown]
09-22-2013, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2013 11:21 AM by dlanor.)
re: savestate corruption at saving
(09-22-2013 05:16 AM)ZeroX4 Wrote:  yep and thats the exact problem i was refering to

only way around i know is to make NORMAL in gam SAVE GAME and version of ppsspp i provided above i found to have lowest rate of that bug occure

I do understand you wanting to hang on to a version that didn't give you this problem, but I still disagree with that 'solution' since it means abstaining from every single emulator improvement created since then. And there have, quite literally, been thousands of beta build updates since then. Just in the last few weeks I've seen considerable improvements in functionality that I would not be willing to abandon, even if I was facing the kind of problem you guys have had.

I'd rather drop using savestates entirely, switching to 100% normal in-game saves.
But fortunately I don't have to make that choice, since savestates have never failed for me on my OUYA, and I must have used savestates there at least a hundred times by now. I've also used them error free quite a lot on my Win7_x64 PC, though most of my gameplay has been on the OUYA.

One thing to consider though, on an Android platform, is that most of them have tons of cached apps running in the background. And 'cached' does NOT mean that they are completely static and inoperative. When I kill such apps on some of my Android units I often notice a dramatic release of system resources. (I have to do it on some to make networked media playing possible without stutters.)

That's where an OUYA differs from most other Android units, as it doesn't have the usual gaggle of google related apps. (Most of which make sporadic network checks, or 'phone home' to report various data.)

It's possible that you guys who have these savestate issues may have background apps or services on your Android units that somehow interfere with the proper working of the savestate storage routines.

If you're using PC versions of PPSSPP then the above obviously doesn't apply to you, though there are then tons of other things to investigate (since most modern computers also have complex background services and apps, some of which might interfere).

Quote:i dont know how for others but for me it happends in all games with no exceptions

And yet it never happened to me.
There must be some basic difference in our units or our usage to explain so wide a difference in results.

09-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Oh, well, I will say - creating a savestate requires a decent chunk of memory. It's not a lot for a desktop or a recent mobile device, probably on the order of 50 MB or less, but if you don't have a bunch of memory it could crash when trying to create a savestate.

-[Unknown]
09-24-2013, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2013 03:12 PM by dlanor.)
(09-22-2013 01:41 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Oh, well, I will say - creating a savestate requires a decent chunk of memory. It's not a lot for a desktop or a recent mobile device, probably on the order of 50 MB or less, but if you don't have a bunch of memory it could crash when trying to create a savestate.

Exactly.

And that's part of what I meant about how cached apps and running services (unrelated to the emulator) may consume various system resources, including memory, to the point where the emulator will crash when doing something that would have worked fine if the system was less 'cluttered' with background apps and services.

06-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Hello Everyone
i'm disappointed on this.
i played my ppsspp for PC on 5am today and i played it well.
when i played it again on 2pm,and i loaded the savestate, it said " failed to load state: savestate is for an older version of PPSSPP. i didn't even touch my laptop before this problem of mine happen. i didn't do any upgrade to new version.
acctually what is wrong about this.
Please help me!