Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Using a Steering Wheel with ppsspp
08-22-2013, 02:03 AM
Using a Steering Wheel with ppsspp
Hi,

Can a logitech steering wheel be use on ppsspp? I have a PC logitech steering wheel and ppsspp does not recognize it. I've been hoping to add intial d, ridge racer, etc to my arcade cabinet. Other emus recognize the wheel.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2013, 06:59 AM
RE: Using a Steering Wheel with ppsspp
(08-22-2013 02:03 AM)superrama Wrote:  Hi,

Can a logitech steering wheel be use on ppsspp? I have a PC logitech steering wheel and ppsspp does not recognize it. I've been hoping to add intial d, ridge racer, etc to my arcade cabinet. Other emus recognize the wheel.

Thanks

I have a Logitech G27 and have it partly working.
PsSsPp was not recognising it when I first tried to map it but this was due to an Xbox 360 wireless controller being already connected to my PC.
Make sure the only device recognised in windows "Gaming Controller" menu, then try and map it.

I have the steering and pedals mapped ok with mine but for some reason PpSsPp does not recognise all the buttons on the wheel or gear stick.

I got enough mapped to get by for now though.

BTW, I am running Windows 7 64-bit
02-24-2016, 04:24 AM
can i now use a steering wheel in the new version of ppsspp?
02-24-2016, 07:56 AM
if ppsspp dont recognize ur steering wheel ur last option is this

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12513

also it turning wont be analog but digital

so u wont be able to make smooth turn left or right like u would only turn wheel about 10% left or 40% left but either it would be or ur turning left or not same goes to right

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12513
or http://www.x360ce.com
03-26-2016, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2020 06:06 AM by kumijorma.)
I won't start a new thread, since this issue has already it's own thread.

I bought Gran Turismo for PSP a week ago and I was able to get it fully working with Logitech G27 on PPSSPP 1.2.2. Even pedals got mapped as "X" and "Square". On Logitech Gaming Software, I created a new profile for PPSSPP with following settings:

Wheel angle: 180 degrees (it makes the wheel turn 360 degrees, I'll explain later, why I came up to this setting.)
Spring force: 50 % (Because PSP doesn't support rumble or force feedback, 50 % of spring force should be the most realistic setting for the most of the cars of GT.)

With default settings, the deadzone will be terrible. The trick to get right feel on the steering wheel is to use "Dinput analog settings" for fine-tuning the feel of the wheel:

Deadzone radius: 0.10
Analog mapper mode: On
Analog mapper low-end (inverse deadzone): 0.6
Analog mapper high-end (axis sensitivity): 1.0

Those settings (or around them) should make the wheel feel "natural".

So, most of the cars have 900 degrees of wheel angle (F1-cars have only about 380 degrees), so why not going for that? Well, original PS1 and PSP are designed to be played with analog sticks with about 90 degrees of turning angle, so with them, it's impossible to get natural feeling out of them if set as high as 900 degrees. The reason is the deadzone: it's already set to some static value that can't be altered, so going to 360 degrees, the deadzone doesn't jump too wide, but with 900 degrees, it will be insane, about 180 degrees, of which doesn't feel natural at all anymore. I tried to get around this by tweaking "Dinput analog settings", but failed.

In the end, I'm very happy with the current development speed of PPSSPP.

I have only one wish for Henrik:

Please, add support for game controllers with more than 16 buttons in the future. It would be awesome to map "X", "Square" and "O"-buttons to their correct places on Logitech G27 and similar controllers without the need of using external apps like Xpadder or AntiMicro.

Thanks for great emulator! Smile

EDIT:

I found an even better solution:

1. Eliminate the unnecessary dead zone by adjusting the inverse deadzone to 0.75.
2. Tune the axis sensitivity for your analog device so that you'll see "Axis: 1 (value 1.000)" at "Test analogs"-screen, when you pull the stick or wheel full left / right. For my wheel, I got it at 0.93.
3. Now, apply some deadzone radius. Even as low as 0.01 might be just enough.
4. Do "Test analogs" again, and now the stick or wheel should be running all smoothly right after the dead zone till the end of range.
5. If you are using a wheel, lower the inverse deadzone somewhere between 0.25 and 0.75. I got the smoothest turning for all of my racing games by setting it to 0.50.

Deadzone radius: 0.01
Analog mapper mode: X
Analog mapper low-end (inverse deadzone): 0.50
Analog mapper high-end (axis sensitivity): 0.93

Now, you shouldn't need to change the sensitivity from an external program (like Logitech Gaming Software) either.

I also fixed the number of supported mappable buttons on PPSSPP 1.9.3 >. It's 16, not 19 as I had remembered. I still need to map buttons 17–22 with Xpadder to my wheel-setup for PPSSPP.
03-26-2016, 01:53 PM
(03-26-2016 12:48 PM)kumijorma Wrote:  I won't start a new thread, since this issue has already it's own thread.

As a moderator, I wish more people would understand this Angel

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
03-26-2016, 04:22 PM
So i got my Logitech Driving Force Pro all set and mapped to play Initial D Street Stage, game runs well and whatnot, however the analog x axis is giving me nightmares.

Everytime i get to test analog the minimum sensitivity i get when using the wheel left and right is 0.75, which is pretty much unplayable. Is there a setting to lower this to like 0.1?

Not sure if its a Logitech profile issue, ppsspp control setting in the Dinput section or if i have to tinker with the config.ini file...

Any insight to get a linear feel for a smooth x axis. Ideally I'd like to go from 0.1 or 0.2 to 1.0 instead of 0.75 to 1.0.