Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will there eventually be kanji input conversion?
08-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Will there eventually be kanji input conversion?
So in a real PSP, sometimes a Japanese game that lets you input a name for your character (or change the name of one) will use the PSP's name input system for kanjis instead of having its own tables. I'm not sure if I know the correct terms for them, but the input is like a regular kana input screen and you just convert them into the kanji you want with the triangle button.

Since sometimes I don't want to use kana names (like in most games with Japanese protagonists but no default names), I'm kind of wondering if this is on the list of things to be implemented eventually after everything else is running, or is it just too much trouble? I'm not even sure what goes into kanji conversion. AFAIK it's not in the current input system right now, though I maaaaaay just be an idiot and didn't notice.

Please note that I fully expect this to be absurdly low priority, if any! I'm just wondering if it's in your to-do list at all so I'll know to keep my PSP around for save conversions!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2013, 11:08 AM
RE: Will there eventually be kanji input conversion?
Uhm, If I'm not wrong, I could do this with Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity, here a screenshot too as proof:

[Image: zdayKLr.png]

The only problem is, this can work only with games which use their own input table instead of the default PSP one, so with PPSSPP at the moment we are restricted by this rule.

Since English is not my first language sorry for some misspelling on my posts
08-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Yeah, we don't have an OSK for Kanji yet, it seems..

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
08-22-2013, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2013 02:56 AM by snowtora.)
Of course we can do this with games that have their own kanji input tables. I've played several of them and have no problems. ^^; Games using the default PSP one are what I'm talking about.

If conversion from hiragana the way the PSP does it is too difficult to do, might it be possible to just have a list of what the PSP has arranged by on-yomi and have the users just pick? Provided that there's one Japanese speakers among the devs/a decent dictionary for readings, it seems to be easier compared to building an algorithm to recognize certain strings of kana.

EDIT : Or, I suppose, do what JPCSP does and just let the player type in their own kanji using Windows' system. It's possibly more convenient than both the original PSP method and having to run down a long list of kanjis in a table. Although I guess that might be a bit of a hassle for android....?
08-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Android can write in kana-to kanji system just by enabling the language in the settings Smile
08-22-2013, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2013 12:26 PM by TheDax.)
Sure, but the problem is there's no way of getting on-screen keyboard input(Android/iOS one, not the PSP's) or physical keyboard input yet on any OS/device, except Windows(if you enable the hidden BypassOSKWithKeyboard option under [SystemParam]), and that lacks Kanji support since we don't build for Unicode yet.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
08-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Then I suppose having a kanji table to choose from would be easiest, when considering all platforms? It's probably inconvenient to implement, but if onscreen keyboards is an issue then that seems like an eventual way out.

Right now, if I need to name characters in kanji in games that use the default input, I switch saves between JPCSP and PPSSPP. It works. And I suppose I can do that with the Real PSP, too, if JPCSP doesn't run it. Thank you, unified save architecture!
08-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Just keep in mind that sometimes save transfer doesn't work as intended, so make a backup to avoid loss of progress in game.

08-22-2013, 10:09 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2013 10:58 PM by snowtora.)
I make backups, yes. I'm one of those people who like to archive saves, so even if I didn't know about that I would've made backups anyway. But thank you for your concern, in any case!
08-23-2013, 04:33 AM
Eh eh eh, no problem, I'm like you from this point of view Tongue