Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Newer versions BRICK my device
08-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Newer versions BRICK my device
Tested 0.6.X and was "fine" games doesn't work but test cube works fine,

Tested 0.8, 0.8.1 and 0.8.1-1073 and brick my device with games and test cube too,

My device is a Samsung Galaxy Ace "I" as you know is NOT the same as old Ace, in fact the specs are more like the Galaxy Young:

CPU: http://www.broadcom.com/products/Cellula...s/BCM21553
GPU: http://www.broadcom.com/products/Mobile-...rs/BCM2763
and here the development forum at XDA for more info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1730

I got not a hard-brick, just semi-brick; the first time I had a boot-loop, and the latest time I bricked I got stuck at phone logo.

I tested with stock rom and custom rom+kernel based on stock rom too (not yet tested on CM roms)

Also searching in google I found more people with same problem: http://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=397199&page=9

Thanks for the support
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2013, 10:19 AM
RE: Newer versions BRICK my device
How can ppsspp brick your device....

Hey everybody, tired of the way games are reported here? look here ->> http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5901

--Current Mobile device--
Htc one, Xplay, Walkman z, Samsung ace IIx (crap)

--Current Computer--
1x (e8200, shitty ram (3go), 9600gt)
1x (e6750, better ram (2go), no video card)
1x (i5-3210M, ram (4Go),650M)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2013, 03:39 PM
It can,some users with samsung galaxy y have reported this before.The phone is so weak it overheats and produces software failure..It's like pouring water with a bucket in a frog's mouth.
08-05-2013, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 04:30 PM by hardem.)
(08-05-2013 03:39 PM)livisor Wrote:  It can,some users with samsung galaxy y have reported this before.The phone is so weak it overheats and produces software failure..It's like pouring water with a bucket in a frog's mouth.

Interesting since Galaxy Y have the same hardware than Galaxy Ace i/c/m, so maybe is hardware incompatibility related?

I don't think is because of over-heat, the test cube don't even start when it get bricked... and like I said with 0.6.X it worked just PERFECT (as perfect as you can spect from a simple 3D cube...)

EDIT: I know this is not related here and also the device is pretty crappy and PSX is not PSP, but hey, I got 60fps in a bunch of 3D games with PSX emulator, so again I don't think is because of that.
08-05-2013, 05:18 PM
That's a kernel error for sure, it's a reaction of the device after reaching a kernel error.
Also ARM processors (like most processors) have a syscall that prevent devices to brick from overheating, it will shut down the device immediately after a set temperature and will not reach the bootloader level until it goes under a set temperature, it must happen dozens of times to die from overheating and if then.
08-05-2013, 09:53 PM
OK if this is true, until I get my PC fixed I don't really feel comfortable using ppsspp as I can't reflash a firmware if it bricks...

S TO DA G
08-05-2013, 10:07 PM
but ppsspp isn't the cause of those brick. There is protection in the android os to prevent things like that and do you seriously think that google will allow a bad software to be on there store... (okay.. maybe...)

Anyway, there is no hidden flaw in ppsspp and it would need root right to brick your device. (and it doesn't ask for it at all)

Hey everybody, tired of the way games are reported here? look here ->> http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5901

--Current Mobile device--
Htc one, Xplay, Walkman z, Samsung ace IIx (crap)

--Current Computer--
1x (e8200, shitty ram (3go), 9600gt)
1x (e6750, better ram (2go), no video card)
1x (i5-3210M, ram (4Go),650M)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Maybe.. but as people have already reported a bricked device I'm wary about this.

S TO DA G
08-05-2013, 10:30 PM
We may be triggering a driver or hardware bug. Ultimately it's an upstream bug, but unless we can find somewhere it's fixed upstream to narrow it down, it probably means bisecting the change (someone would need to have an affected device to do this, and be willing to have it bricked probably ~15 times.)

If we can find which commit specifically started the behavior, we're likely to be able to fix it.

-[Unknown]
08-06-2013, 12:36 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 12:39 AM by VIRGIN KLM.)
Yes but the fact that Broadcom, Qualcomm, Mali or any other semiconductor fails in a remarkably miserable way to do it's job at creating proper drivers for their hardware or make hardware that suck is not a candidate reason to go through all this. The correct thing to do here is forward the issue to the company, it starts to get a bit irritating the fact that some companies don't bloddy care for super serious issues.
08-06-2013, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 02:44 AM by stodag.)
I've never faced such a problem fortunately.
The phones its been reported on have very low ram.. is it possible to use such ram that it crashes causing a system failure? rendering it unable to reboot? like when you switch off the device it says shutting down system.. but if you turn off a phone by pulling the battery, it could cause a brick?
I've bricked a device just by letting battery drain completely.

S TO DA G
08-06-2013, 04:14 PM
It just reaches an error that gives a flag to not reboot or enter DFU mode, personaly I believe that's stupid, it does nothing else than just bricking your device for no reason, it's nothing that prevents the device from a permanent break, with a simple recovery it works again, it's just stupid.
08-06-2013, 04:26 PM
OK, like a hard reset ?
instead of boot loop brick?

S TO DA G
08-06-2013, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 04:41 PM by The Phoenix.)
In the case of your phone & mine being in the Samsung family I had a piece of software (Samsung Kies) that allows me to view all media on my phone on the PC, also in that software it contains a recovery mode to reset the phone in emergencies.
Just wondered if you had tried that piece of software on PC for your particular phone, have a search on Google for it, it may fix your bricked phone.
08-06-2013, 05:37 PM
You use Buffer Rendering? It crashes the emulator on low GPUs. Many people has this problem, some solve disabling the Buffer Rendering.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro