Thread Rating:
  • 21 Votes - 4.14 Average
Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
02-16-2014, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 12:46 AM by Kristianity77.)
RE: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
(02-16-2014 07:38 PM)Grimmer Wrote:  
(02-15-2014 08:43 PM)Kristianity77 Wrote:  Firstly, you need a program from the play store call NoMone Resolution Changer. Install this and lower the resolution of your device (for me, i set to PSP native resolution for my JXD S7800.

I guess this only works with BR turned off, right? Because native resolution of device doesn't matter when you use BR.

Ive just done a quick test on Ridge Racer 2

At standard device resolution of 1280x800
Buffered Rendering @ PSPx1 = Framerate going round the track is between 50-60FPS, slowing down to 30-40 in busy areas
Non Buffered Rendering (1280x800) - Framerate around the 15-20FPS mark, pretty constant around the track

At Resolution 640x400 (Set by NoMone App)

Buffered Rendering @ PSPx1 = Framerate going round the track is between 55-60FPS, slowing down to 45-50 in busy areas
Non Buffered Rendering (640x400) - Framerate a solid 60FPS without waiver (as shown on video)

Basically, this app allows you to use non buffered rendering at a lower resolution than native to the tablet (obviously only on games that work without problems on this setting. But out of the 20 or so I've tried, only Daxter gave me issues). The ones Ive tried in the 3 Ys games, Gurumin, Ape Escape, Crimson Gem Saga, Darius Burst, FF Crisis Core, Hot Shots Golf 2, Kingdom Hearts, Locoroco, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Persona 3, Prinny 1 and 2, Wipeout Pure all work flawlessly at full speed. Something I could never do previously in non buffered rendering as the native res of the screen was too high for the rest of the device to cope with.

I've also tried it with success on my Xperia Z. Running PSP games in 1920x1080 is a joke really. Because as nice as the screen is, the innards of the Xperia Z just cannot really play games in that resolution without choking. Its not powerful enough.

TL;DR - Running a game in non buffered at the same resolution as buffered offers way better performance. But PPSSPP does not give you the option of playing non buffered in anything other than device native res, which is normally too high to get playable framerates on mid-lower hardware. This gives you the option of maximising performance whilst keeping semi decent picture quality.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device. - Kristianity77 - 02-16-2014 10:06 PM