Thread Rating:
  • 21 Votes - 4.14 Average
Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
10-19-2015, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2015 09:14 PM by fivefeet8.)
RE: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
(10-10-2015 07:47 AM)Nickie Wrote:  and counter-intuitively, the multithreading option resulted in quite lower FPS (so i'm not reaching a playable average in wipeout pure or outrun2, games that don't strain the PSP too much for smoothness purposes)

i also don't understand how openGL would be the bottleneck when games (or some 3D-era other emulators, dreamcast anyone?) run flawlessly, in emulation, i'd expect the CPU to be maxing out very long before the GPU , so what's the deal there?

i know that qualcom's drivers are apparently awful but even then, the result appears renderable if you take the emulation aspect out of it, so is it really an adreno problem?

Multi-threading performance will depend on the game. I've noticed it makes some other games run better, but makes others run worse. Also, you can't really compare emulators like Reicast to PPSSPP. Both are emulating different systems with difference performance bottlenecks and vastly different hardware to emulate.

Unfortunately, the problem is mostly with QC OpenGL drivers. They tend to have far worse driver overhead than their Tegra counterparts. If you look at the GFXBench driver overhead comparisons, it's very apparent what's slowing down Qualcomm Adreno devices. Plus, their OpenGL compliance is pretty crappy too as they don't really support OpenGl ES3.x extensions properly or not at all. PPSSPP doesn't use any advanced OpenGL es3 features, but it makes it problematic for emulators that do (Dolphin, GlideN64, uoYabause).

Take a look at this GFXBench comparison between a Tegra 4 device and the Adreno 330. The driver overhead test is interesting.
https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?benchma...28P1640%29
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device. - fivefeet8 - 10-19-2015 05:01 PM