Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Slow on Galaxy S3?
08-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Question Slow on Galaxy S3?
Hi all, I'm running the newest version of PPSSPP from the Google Play Store (v0.8.1-2) on a US spec Verizon Galaxy S3 with the stock ROM on Android version 4.1.2. I understand this is still a very new emulator, and am very impressed with it so far, but I am experiencing lots of lag.

I've tried Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Persona 3 so far and both, while mostly playable, lag all the time and sound will skip or go in slowmo at times, this includes the character's voices, BG music, and SFX. FPS always shows as ~30, but the VPS will be much less than 60 most of the time, but can shoot up to 60 at times as well.

For example, in the dungeon parts of Persona 3, the best VPS I can get is ~40, with it dipping under 20 quite often. Battles seem to speed up and slow down a small amount randomly and the voices will be choppy. Simulation mode is faster, but the background music will still slow down here and there.

I have JIT enabled and the only graphics settings I have checked are:

Hardware Transform
Vertex Cache
Mipmapping

I've played around with the PPSSPP settings and also went through in my Android applications and set a ton of the S3 bloatware to disabled, but this seems to be the best I can get it to run. I'm not in Power Save mode.

Enabling Fast Memory does help quite a bit, making it run near-perfect, but of course makes PPSSPP crash all the time.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need to wait for version 0.9 and hope for the best? I have seen others say Persona 3 runs perfectly on their S3, but maybe they are running a custom ROM on root (not something I'm looking to do).

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 09:32 PM by solarmystic.)
RE: Slow on Galaxy S3?
Welcome to the forums, Bloodgod!

You should update to the latest dev builds for Android located here:- http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

Well actually, stick to v0.8.1-1029-g51596b6, since the latest builds have issues with ARMJIT.

Also, here's a link to my generic guide into maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on any device:-

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=4383

(Scroll to the bottom of the rather lengthy post for the guide, under the heading Generic non-vendor specific advice to getting the best performance on PPSSPP for your lower end device/machine. Try every step provided.)

Enjoy your stay.

EDIT:- I've decided to sepearate the performance guide from my AMD guide to make it more noticeable.

Here's the new link:- http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5236

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
08-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! I looked over your other post and I tried setting Frame Skipping to 3 (had it off completely) and that seems to help quite a bit in both games. It even helps with the audio issues, surprisingly.

There is some minor flickering now and then, but it is not the end of the world as it runs better now. I think last time I had tried frame skipping, I set it to 2 which caused terrible flickering in Persona.

I tried to side load that newer version, but it tells me "Package with that name and different signature already installed". I figure it wants me to delete the current version and then install that fresh. It's a little strange though, because it tells me it will replace the previous version and keep my settings right before that error. Huh

I think I'll just wait for the official 0.9 release/update in the Play store. I don't want to have to delete the app and re-install it from scratch and lose my settings. Is there any indication of when that will come out?
08-01-2013, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 11:27 PM by solarmystic.)
(08-01-2013 10:58 PM)Bloodgod Wrote:  Thanks for the quick reply! I looked over your other post and I tried setting Frame Skipping to 3 (had it off completely) and that seems to help quite a bit in both games. It even helps with the audio issues, surprisingly.

There is some minor flickering now and then, but it is not the end of the world as it runs better now. I think last time I had tried frame skipping, I set it to 2 which caused terrible flickering in Persona.

I tried to side load that newer version, but it tells me "Package with that name and different signature already installed". I figure it wants me to delete the current version and then install that fresh. It's a little strange though, because it tells me it will replace the previous version and keep my settings right before that error. Huh

I think I'll just wait for the official 0.9 release/update in the Play store. I don't want to have to delete the app and re-install it from scratch and lose my settings. Is there any indication of when that will come out?

ETAs are always nebulous when it comes down to it. It will be released when it's done, as usual.

Sideloading a new version with retain all your previous settings, so it's okay.

Windows 7 x64 SP1

8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
08-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Frameskip works best on settings of 1, 3, 5, etc. Usually even numbered settings result in more flickering.

Some games work well if you underclock the CPU as well. You just have to experiment or check the game related threads. Some games run better at 111 or even lower. I run some at 66 or 77.

Oh, and welcome btw.
08-02-2013, 12:03 AM
(08-01-2013 11:25 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  Sideloading a new version with retain all your previous settings, so it's okay.

It gives me that error message when I try to. Do I need to remove the Play Store version first and then side load it? Won't that delete the settings?

I've tested it a bit more, runs much better with frame skipping on 3, but there is some flickering and other graphical issues (sometimes the dudgeon in Persona goes black until you go into the menu and leave it).
08-02-2013, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 12:33 AM by solarmystic.)
(08-02-2013 12:03 AM)Bloodgod Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 11:25 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  Sideloading a new version with retain all your previous settings, so it's okay.

It gives me that error message when I try to. Do I need to remove the Play Store version first and then side load it? Won't that delete the settings?

I've tested it a bit more, runs much better with frame skipping on 3, but there is some flickering and other graphical issues (sometimes the dudgeon in Persona goes black until you go into the menu and leave it).

Oh, I misunderstood your original message then.

Yeah, deleting the Play Store version first before sideloading the new one will wipe your settings.

There have been many changes made to the emulator in the recent developer builds, so they're pretty much 2 different programs at the moment, in many ways.

It's not surprising that you'd get that error.

You'll have to reconfigure PPSSPP on the new version again, sorry mate.

(The exception to this being that you've already JB'ed your device and can backup the ppsspp.ini file located in the ppsspp folder of your device, and restore it into the sideloaded version.)

Windows 7 x64 SP1

8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1