Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.75 Average
[Discussion] 60FPS patches for PSP games that run at 30FPS
04-07-2017, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 09:26 AM by Mills.)
RE: [Discussion] 60FPS patches for PSP games that run at 30FPS
(01-24-2017 09:52 AM)Kabuto_Kun Wrote:  But there is something that is not well known from what I can see from some research: the PSP SLIM and later models actually doubled the PSP1000 VRAM to 4MB, but this additional 2 MB can't be used for games, only for homebrew. This is a confirmed fact and you can read details on how to unlock it here and here (on this one the user Mills seems to have been tried something with this some time ago).

The real question is, is it possible to unlock the extra VRAM for retail games using the same process with a kernel module? If the answer is yes, then increasing the internal resolution of some PSP games for PSP SLIM users should be totally possible.

EDIT:
It works! After reading the linked info, I unlocked the additional 2mb of VRAM on my PSP3000 (now it has 4 mb in total available for retail games) and higher internal resolutions are not showing garbage on screen and the games are not freezing anymore: I was playing GTA LCS at 720x408 on my PSP (1.5x the resolution of 480x272, but the game runs at 512x320 by default).

Of course the PSP screen is 480x272, a hardware limitation which can't be fixed via software, so what I did works as some kind of downsampling on PSPs; but for example if someone changes the emulated screen resolution of the PSVita (only if additional VRAM can be unlocked for it too), we might be able to play some games at PSVita native resolution (Vita has double resolution but with quadruple pixels in total, which is too much even with the extra VRAM). TV Out with PSPs could also get resolution benefits from this. This is still based on game-specific hacks, but I'm trying to detect patterns on how the games set their resolution.

I Got the 4 MB VRAM working and they used it in ONELua (a homebrew lua interpreter). It only works when connecting the PSP to a TV and it uses 720x480p

What games did you unlock? It would be awesome to test with a TV cable.

The games will store textures in VRAM untill it is full, and then they will use main RAM (it is much slower).
Using default resolution, a game should use the 4MB VRAM to store more textures instead of using the main RAM... And it should run faster in theory.

Is it really possible to unlock fps for PS1 games? It will also be awesome to force texture filters Smile.

I'm also waiting for ratchet and clank cheat, love that game.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Discussion] 60FPS patches for PSP games that run at 30FPS - Mills - 04-07-2017 09:02 AM
Crash Of The Titans CW ULUS10304 - Mateus - 12-13-2021, 10:59 PM
IRON MEN ULUS10347 - Mateus - 12-18-2021, 12:18 AM