Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Request]Make auto enable frameskipping
07-10-2013, 05:37 PM
[Request]Make auto enable frameskipping
In many emulators, there's usually an option of auto frameskipping where emulator automatically triggers frameskipping to achieve 60 VPS when the device struggles to get 60 VPS, while forcing it to run without frameskipping in those scenes where the device can achieve 60 VPS. Now, the problem is that in some games (such as GTA VCS) enabling frameskipping (either odd or even number) freezes the screen in those scenes where device can easily achieve 60 VPS without frameskipping (such as when standing near water), so to fix the freeze, we need to enable "Unlimited" to make it go further 60 VPS which apparently fixes the freeze but then need to enable "Standard" or "Fixed" again in those scenes where device get less than 60 VPS. So, it's a manual fix.

Is it possible to add a behavior which ONLY triggers frameskipping when needed, otherwise it force the emulator to run without frameskipping?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2013, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 06:15 PM by vsub_.)
RE: [Request]Make auto enable frameskipping
This kind of freezing means that the game don't like the value you use(mostly odd numbers(especially 1)can give you that effect)

Also the emulator don't skip frames if you are getting more than 60vps when the limit is disabled.
If the limit is disabled the speed goes below 60,then it will star skipping frames...the same goes for normal speed(if your speed goes below 60vps,it will start skipping frames).

It would be nice if you can set how many frames to render and then how many to skip after that and also below what speed to start skipping(like it was on old gui of pcsx2)

Using PPSSPP on Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7 4771 3.5Ghz,GTX750TI,16GB RAM

Batch iso <=> cso converter
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5384
Save Game\States Manager
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5516
07-10-2013, 06:34 PM
(07-10-2013 06:14 PM)vsub_ Wrote:  This kind of freezing means that the game don't like the value you use(mostly odd numbers(especially 1)can give you that effect)

Also the emulator don't skip frames if you are getting more than 60vps when the limit is disabled.
If the limit is disabled the speed goes below 60,then it will star skipping frames...the same goes for normal speed(if your speed goes below 60vps,it will start skipping frames).

It would be nice if you can set how many frames to render and then how many to skip after that and also below what speed to start skipping(like it was on old gui of pcsx2)
Nope. Like I said above, setting it to either even or odd doesn't make difference. I assumed the cause of freeze is that frameskipping tries to skip the frame even when it isn't needed and when the speed is limited to 60 VPS so it can't draw more frame and thus freezes (since enabling "Unlimited" stops freezing but VPS goes way above 60). Have you used Desmume (Nintendo DS emulator)? There is a feature of "Auto-minimize frameskipping" It's function is to disable frameskipping when the speed is already at 60 VPS while it enable frameskipping automatically when the device struggle to achieve 60 VPS without frameskipping. That's perfect, imo.

Yeah, it would be nice have a seperate "skip" and "draw" function. Do you know where the definition of frameskipping is located in the source of PPSSPP? Is it include core? Let me know, maybe I might find a way to done it myself unless it doesn't link with too much headers. I think, It won't be a challenge to add a behavior to disable frameskipping when not needed in mode of frameskipping.
07-10-2013, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 06:43 PM by vsub_.)
I know about the Desmume option(I use it in fact)but there are games that like I said,don't like odd numbers and since the desmume frame skipping automatically changes the numbers of frames skipping,that number at some point may become 1 or other odd number and that will give me the same effect you have on that game.

It's a cool feature but it have bad side too(it's not all good).
Does it have any effect if you increase\decrease the speed,set the mode to Fixed and enable frame skipping?

You may also try enabling vsync and enabling\disabling buffered rendering

Save Game\States Manager
07-10-2013, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 06:59 PM by Danyal Zia.)
(07-10-2013 06:42 PM)vsub_ Wrote:  I know about the Desmume option(I use it in fact)but there are games that like I said,don't like odd numbers and since the desmume frame skipping automatically changes the numbers of frames skipping,that number at some point may become 1 or other odd number and that will give me the same effect you have on that game.

It's a cool feature but it have bad side too(it's not all good).
Does it have any effect if you increase\decrease the speed,set the mode to Fixed and enable frame skipping?

You may also try enabling vsync and enabling\disabling buffered rendering
I think disabling "auto-minimize frameskipping" with frameskipping enabled either to even or odd number doesn't make difference in Desmume. But, that's also because precisely frameskipping in current consoles is not possible as Henrik have mentioned somewhere. But, again I think that the problem of frameskipping with GTA VCS is that it isn't disabling frameskipping when not needed and I have to do it manually every time such freezes occurs which is really painful.

Any side effects of that feature in Desmume?

Nope. Vsync doesn't make the difference and Buffered rendering is mandatory to play the game since disabling it results in black screen flashing which sometimes fixed through odd number frameskipping but many times it fails as well.
07-10-2013, 07:13 PM
(07-10-2013 06:58 PM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  Any side effects of that feature in Desmume?
That's the side effect I told you...that feature automatically increase\decrease the skipped frames and some games don't like certain numbers(when the feature set such number,you get the same effect as GTA VSC)
One example is Tales of Innocence.

Save Game\States Manager
07-11-2013, 05:21 AM
(07-10-2013 07:13 PM)vsub_ Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 06:58 PM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  Any side effects of that feature in Desmume?
That's the side effect I told you...that feature automatically increase\decrease the skipped frames and some games don't like certain numbers(when the feature set such number,you get the same effect as GTA VSC)
One example is Tales of Innocence.
Alright. So there should be an option to set the limit of frameskipping to either even or odd number while auto disabling it when not needed and then trigger it again to that same number when needed.
07-11-2013, 05:41 AM
There are games that don't have problems with nay number and some games need just 1 frame to be skipped to give you max speed

Save Game\States Manager
07-11-2013, 09:29 AM
(07-11-2013 05:41 AM)vsub_ Wrote:  There are games that don't have problems with nay number and some games need just 1 frame to be skipped to give you max speed

Yes, GTA VCS don't have problem with any number, it just freezes when the player enters a less demanding scene. (where frameskipping needs to be disabled for a while)