Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
03-07-2016, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 09:59 AM by vnctdj.)
RE: Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
(03-07-2016 06:36 AM)Burgerize Wrote:  When i try to load my save file for Kingdom Hearths Birth by Sleep i keep getting an error that says:

Error: after "RAM", found 0 (0x0) instead of save marker 66 (0x45)
Aborting savestate load...

what does it mean, and how can i fix this?

Merged.

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2016, 02:26 AM
I'm getting a ghosting/blur artifact with buffer on. Various posts suggest disabling buffer rendering, which solves the ghosting, but this cause some backgrounds in cut scenes to be rendered as black/not rendered and in ocasions, during cutscenes, the screen dims(some post said it could be triggered by focused blur or something).

Another post suggest writing to cpu/gpu, which solves the ghosting, but causes graphical glitches in cutscenes as well(probably worse than the black backgrounds).

I saw a bug post to be marked as "Closed", so I assumed somebody found a solution for this, but I can't find it anywhere. (I'm assuming there's a solution, because where I come from a "workaround" that fixes one thing by breaking another should not be enough to close a bug). Please, let me know how to solve these issues without breaking the game.
04-11-2016, 07:29 AM
Using higher render resolutions than 1x results in this. There's a hack in the settings that tries to work around this (reduce resolution for buffer effects or something like that), but it doesn't work for all games.

Basically, the artifacts are because the game was designed for 480x272 (1x PSP). If you switch to 480x272 (1x PSP), they should go away. If that doesn't seem acceptable to you, you can try messing with other settings, but there's no "for sure" fix.

-[Unknown]
04-12-2016, 12:13 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2016 12:14 AM by mcabel.)
(04-11-2016 07:29 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Using higher render resolutions than 1x results in this. There's a hack in the settings that tries to work around this (reduce resolution for buffer effects or something like that), but it doesn't work for all games.

Basically, the artifacts are because the game was designed for 480x272 (1x PSP). If you switch to 480x272 (1x PSP), they should go away. If that doesn't seem acceptable to you, you can try messing with other settings, but there's no "for sure" fix.

-[Unknown]

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure which of the use cases your suggestion aims to solve, whether buffer on, off, cpu or gpu, but as far as I've tested, the ghosting is still present. Actually I've been playing in 1x in the first place, but tried that option to reduce resolution on effects. Ghosting is not present always, though. an example area would be master yen sid tower.[img]postimg.org/image/zfqq1mv9v/[/img]

Also, there are some artifacts in cut scenes, such as the mirror in snowwhite world. Even with framebuffer enabled.
[img]postimg.org/image/jdss8zkyb/[/img]

Anyhow, it's not unplayable; just was hoping there was any setting I could tweak to improve those little hiccups, so I'll keep checking this forum every now and then to see if someone has solved it somehow.
04-12-2016, 02:08 AM
The CPU/GPU options are basically hacks that make a lot of games crash and misbehave. We would've removed them already if it wasn't for the fact that a few games - not a ton - are made more playable by them still. The goal is still to remove them.

The "skip buffered effects" (buffered off) option is a hack that tries to analyze the way the game is rendering and skip parts of it to render faster. On a weak device, this can give you a much-needed FPS boost. It's still a hack and not recommended.

Buffered rendering is the use case I recommend.

I know that Dissidia has ghosting, and it's the same ghosting that is actually present on the PSP. Some people don't like it, but it's simply an intentional effect used in the game. Have you compared these areas with an actual PSP's rendering? Can you upload some nearby save data so I can quickly look at these same areas? (I don't have final mix, though, only the original.... so the save might not work for me.)

I'm not sure about the mirror - that looks like a bug for sure. It'd be great if you wanted to use the GE debugger to identify what's going on there:
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/wiki/...E-debugger

It looks like a blending issue, but it could be a logic op issue or even alpha testing. I think we did fix a small bug related to a combination of those since v1.2.2, so you might try the latest git build (on the downloads page) in case it was already fixed.

Also, what graphics card are you using, and have you updated its drivers? We use features like "dual source blending" which aren't available on some very old cards. If you go to Settings -> Tools -> System information, look at the API version near the bottom. If it's < v3.3.0, then your card or drivers could definitely be the problem.

Also, if you're using Direct3D 9 instead of OpenGL, that generally has more bugs and issues, and supports less things (Direct3D 9 doesn't even support dual source blending properly), so it will usually look worse.

-[Unknown]
04-14-2016, 03:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 04:04 AM by mcabel.)
(04-12-2016 02:08 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  The CPU/GPU options are basically hacks that make a lot of games crash and misbehave. We would've removed them already if it wasn't for the fact that a few games - not a ton - are made more playable by them still. The goal is still to remove them.

The "skip buffered effects" (buffered off) option is a hack that tries to analyze the way the game is rendering and skip parts of it to render faster. On a weak device, this can give you a much-needed FPS boost. It's still a hack and not recommended.

Buffered rendering is the use case I recommend.

I know that Dissidia has ghosting, and it's the same ghosting that is actually present on the PSP. Some people don't like it, but it's simply an intentional effect used in the game. Have you compared these areas with an actual PSP's rendering? Can you upload some nearby save data so I can quickly look at these same areas? (I don't have final mix, though, only the original.... so the save might not work for me.)

I'm not sure about the mirror - that looks like a bug for sure. It'd be great if you wanted to use the GE debugger to identify what's going on there:
... github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/wiki/How-to-find-a-graphic-issue-with-the-GE-debugger

It looks like a blending issue, but it could be a logic op issue or even alpha testing. I think we did fix a small bug related to a combination of those since v1.2.2, so you might try the latest git build (on the downloads page) in case it was already fixed.

Also, what graphics card are you using, and have you updated its drivers? We use features like "dual source blending" which aren't available on some very old cards. If you go to Settings -> Tools -> System information, look at the API version near the bottom. If it's < v3.3.0, then your card or drivers could definitely be the problem.

Also, if you're using Direct3D 9 instead of OpenGL, that generally has more bugs and issues, and supports less things (Direct3D 9 doesn't even support dual source blending properly), so it will usually look worse.

-[Unknown]

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. Very helpful.

I made a new game record to test the mirror on snow white scenario and with:
+buffered effects ON
+rendering resolution 1x/auto resize
+Lower resolution for effects(Safe)

I was using openGL, but as you deduced, the API version was under 3.3.0.

Anyhow, just adding [Lower resolution for effects(Safe)] in addition to the previous 2 settings that were on, SOLVED the mirror issue.

For the master yen sid castle ghosting, I did a side-by-side comparison with real PSP hardware, and some quick ghosting check from the beginning of the game( where there was some strong lights that produced some ghosting)PPSSPP had
+buffered effects ON
+rendering resolution 1x/auto resize
+Lower resolution for effects(Safe)
As you deduced, the real hardware has some ghosting there too. It even has the similar poor blending and all.
Anyhow just enabling [Lower resolution for effects(Safe)] in addition the the settings I had, made the scene look almost perfect, when comparing to real psp(the ghosting and bad blending is almost on the same level that the real psp uses[intentionally] on this scene), so I'd say this was solved too.

Also, I should note that WITHOUT enabling [Lower resolution for effects(Safe)], the ghosting here is like 20%-30% stronger(inaccurate).

Texture filtering linear and texture scaling 2x XBR could be added without creating artifacts or significant slowdown, so people can enjoy crisp graphics despite the 1x rendering resolution.

This was all tested on both 1.2.2 and ppsspp-v1.2.2-288-g9a11cfb-windows-amd64 "autobuild". Again, thanks for your comments.[as a side note, it may be my imagination, but in ppsspp-v1.2.2-288-g9a11cfb-windows-amd64 the mirror animation seemed a bit more fluid]
05-16-2016, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2016 04:56 PM by KingdomHearts4L.)
IN DIRE NEED OF HELP!!!
Okay so I am really new to ppsspp but, I do have other emulators. The ONLY reason I use emulators is to complete the kingdom hearts series in consecutive order. The psp kh is the 1st one (storyline wise). Anyway I downloaded version 1.2.2 (ppsspp) and everything was working perfectly, I was playing, it was no lag, cutscenes were perfect all of that. Until one day I was having trouble with a boss so I decided to enter a cheat and I went into the memstick folder cheats and pasted my cheats for the game on the notepad thing. only one cheat worked at the time which was infinite money so I looked for other cheats because I thought the others weren't compatible or w.e. I do believe I found some that work BUT whn I entered the cheats in notepad and tried to load my save game not save state (I did save game with cheats enabled and a cheat running) it said ppsspp not working and windows is looking for resolution blah blah close program and I even tried to load it with cheats disabled still didn't work and I tried loading a new game with cheats disabled and it worked for a little while and then the ppsspp not working thing came up again HELP PLZ I would like for cheats to work and game to run anyone have any ideas I'm using windows 8 btw and its a USA iso version of kingdom hearts birth by sleep THANKS!!!HuhHuhDodgy
05-18-2016, 10:53 AM
RE: IN DIRE NEED OF HELP!!!
I have a similar problem, i´m playing kingdom hearts bbs fm, i passed everything including the boss of the Final chapter. After that last video when the battle ends, i get the spinning heart of the loading screen like always, but the emulator freezes and i get the same error, ppsspp has stopped working. So, can i do something or i´ll never get the game completed because of that? I have the 1.2.2 version and windows 7, and i´m playing without cheats.
05-20-2016, 02:04 PM
RE: IN DIRE NEED OF HELP!!!
(05-18-2016 10:53 AM)Zusmoariku Wrote:  I have a similar problem, i´m playing kingdom hearts bbs fm, i passed everything including the boss of the Final chapter. After that last video when the battle ends, i get the spinning heart of the loading screen like always, but the emulator freezes and i get the same error, ppsspp has stopped working. So, can i do something or i´ll never get the game completed because of that? I have the 1.2.2 version and windows 7, and i´m playing without cheats.
I´ve got the solution, if this happens playing the game with the 32 bits version of the emulator solves the problem.
05-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Merged.

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
06-02-2016, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2016 09:48 PM by dampih.)
On latest dev version (ppsspp-v1.2.2-634-g606856c) this game suffers great graphical bug in all backend

it runs great on this version ppsspp-v1.2.2-307-g6e5e496

Spec:
i5 3570k
gtx660 nvdia driver 368.22
8gb ram
Win10 64bit

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-02-2016, 10:18 PM
@dampih could you check if "Disable slower effects(speedup)" in the graphics settings under performance affects this? There was one new "slower effect" which might still be causing some bugs and that setting should disable it.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
06-03-2016, 09:08 AM
(06-02-2016 10:18 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  @dampih could you check if "Disable slower effects(speedup)" in the graphics settings under performance affects this? There was one new "slower effect" which might still be causing some bugs and that setting should disable it.

Well, i never used that option before and any "slower effect" option, i leave it unchecked all the time..
enable "Disable slower effects(speedup)" make the game uglier
06-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Hello, I just started using PPSSPP. The emulator runs great on all games EXCEPT Birth by Sleep. I get to the spare at the beginning when you choose a character to spare with, save then the cutscene immediantly after the spinning heart stops and then the error "Emuthread timed out" appears. I have no clue how to fix this.

I'm running a Radeon R9 200 Graphics
I5 3.2 Quad Core
16 gig DDR4 Corsair Vengence ram.

If someone could get with me on Skype I can screen share and show exactly what happens as well. Trying to get this fixed so I can stream this on twitch.

Skype name- DarkCloud9269

Thanks for the assist!
06-11-2016, 12:01 AM
The game runs fine on my Nvidia Shield portable running the latest version, except the light and water cuts through the models, and theres a big line going through the logos at the beginning. Here is a few screenshots of it. I can't show you some of them because I can't post clickable links and the filesize is too big:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)