Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 2.75 Average
ps2 emulator on android
11-13-2013, 02:44 PM
RE: ps2 emulator on android
Nothing is impossible.who thought that android phones can play PSP games.so PS2 emulator for android can be created in future.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't see this discussion going anywhere in a timeframe of atleast 5 years...
11-13-2013, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 06:06 PM by globe94.)
@gursewak
@VIRGIN KLM

yeah you're right..
it will take time..
maybe we'd reach ppsspp v5.0 and still no ps2 emu for android. or maybe not?. we cant tell the future Big Grin

Reality is a Lovely Place, But i Wouldn't Wanna Live There..
• • gLoBe ~
11-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Hey people, don’t call me stupid or something alike, cause I’m no programmer and I don’t have any knowledge about programming stuff.

But I was thinking other day: If Henrik did a stuff that multiply the PSP resolution, isn’t possible to make the inverse to PS2?

I mean, to low the definition 3 or 4X (or even more)??

If it’s possible, maybe I would demand less power of the CPU. Does it make any sense?

Again, don’t call me stupid! I’m just a normal guy that likes to play games portably!! Wink

I was an Xperia Play gamer until my dog ate my beloved phone!

Now I’m an Xperia ZL/ZQ gamer!
Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

It works better, but i miss the gamepad!! T_T'
11-13-2013, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 06:32 PM by VIRGIN KLM.)
(11-13-2013 05:20 PM)heiwasan Wrote:  Hey people, don’t call me stupid or something alike, cause I’m no programmer and I don’t have any knowledge about programming stuff.

But I was thinking other day: If Henrik did a stuff that multiply the PSP resolution, isn’t possible to make the inverse to PS2?

I mean, to low the definition 3 or 4X (or even more)??

If it’s possible, maybe I would demand less power of the CPU. Does it make any sense?

Again, don’t call me stupid! I’m just a normal guy that likes to play games portably!! Wink
While it is possible and it will increase slightly performance on PS2 games (only on hardware though, software rendering does ONLY on the native resolution the game is being programmed to render, not higher, not lower) it won't do wonders at all, plus PS2 game's average resolution is already really low (512x448) decreasing it even more makes stuff way too pixelated and blurry, even text is unreadable. You have to understand the reasons why it's a tough job to emulate PS2 games:

1.The architecture of the console is reaaally far away to our computers, current generation consoles and mobile devices, and when I say really far I mean light years away. This makes it extremely complex to emulate it properly hence very demanding on raw performance. This is about the whole PS2 excluding the GPU, we'll get now to the GPU.

2.PS2's GPU is once again far away from what our typical PCs and mobile devices have as a GPU, from hardware to instructions to APIs it use it's all so much different. Once again we deal with a huge complexion that is on the borderline of being impossible to archieve.

3.Since in the above statements we talk about complexity this means that the way that you will try to emulate with as less resources as possible means that you will try to give up acuracy for performance. Well while this is what all emulators do at one point more or less, PS2's software despise inacuracies and they'll missbehave really bad in the slightest inacuracy you'll have in your code. So you are preety like doomed to create an as acurate emulator as possible or things will fall apart even with a tiny thing.

4.PCSX2 is an opensource (now) emulator that is in existance almost a decade now. That means that it's code is HUGE and it shouldn't be as clean as you'd expect it to be, let alone the fact that it may contain ALOT of badly coded stuff that are not being replaced because it would mean that they'd have to rewrite TONS of stuff.

5.PCSX2 has no ARM JIT. That is something that could take years to write even if you dedicate full work time schedule to it.

6.PCSX2 has no OpenGL renderer (atleast not a non-beta/buggy one). That's as tough and time consuming to write as the above issue.

7.An OpenGL renderer and an ARM JIT for PS2 is already equal to a full rewrite of PCSX2, if you are going to do those two it's like rewriting the whole project.

8.Because of the facts I stated above, people who know how PS2 works and are developers, run away when they hear requests from people to port it, even with an ideal mobile device hardware on hands the amount of work you have to do is insane. To be honest, I don't really see it happening ever unless mobile devices have x86/x64 CPUs and DX support. From the little I know from coding I'd NEVER even attempt to pick the project of doing that.

I'd normaly say, "I'd don't mean to kill your hopes" but in this case I'll say, be realists and realise why this won't happen especialy without the perfect conditions not happening. A ideal super powerfull mobile device that is based on ARM architecture and uses OpenGL is not the answer to your hopes, people wanting a PS2 emulator on mobile devices need a big team of experienced people that will transform themselfs to nolifers to port/write/rewrite an emulator. Do you see it happening now as you were seeing it before?
11-13-2013, 08:06 PM
I gonna not say if is possible or not, because I don't understand nothing and also because some said that the PSP would be not possible on Android, even after the PPSSPP been created, and today we can run almost smooth. Others said the Dolphin also couldn't run, and today it runs well on modern devices even being alpha. Maybe doesn't happen the same with a PS2 emulator. And we will never know if don't try, but nobody will try now.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
11-14-2013, 01:04 AM
i see two sides here..
* the 'Hoping side' and
* the 'face the reality side'

they said its difficult to program/big effort needed,etc etc..

and some are still positive & hoping, that there will be a Henrik alike programmer who will port it to android..(including me Smile)

its pretty interesting to read posts from both sides.. haha! Tongue

but i'll still stick with the saying "we cant tell the future"
who knows, a fated day will come and some ridiculous man will try to emulate ps2 on android.. and everyone will help him develop it.

but im also aware that its impossible for now Big Grin

(im a bit confusing, arent i ? heeheeSmile)

Reality is a Lovely Place, But i Wouldn't Wanna Live There..
• • gLoBe ~
11-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Video RE: ps2 emulator on android
VIRGIN KLM, as I said, I’m no programmer. So I’m not sure if I understood everything you wrote. But I understood most part of it! Big Grin

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Well, as we say in my country, hope is the last one to die! LOL

I know it’s possible to play PS2 on android with remote play apps, but I don’t know the reason, Kainy isn’t working well on my new xperia!! It would be great if there was another app compatible to my phone! :/

Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

11-14-2013, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2013 01:18 PM by Miles.)
It is a shame PCSX2 is the only PS2 Emulator considering how terrible and inaccurate it is , that emulator as being on the downfall since Cottonvibes and AIR left, PCSX2 as way too many Bugs, so I will stick with Dolphin Emulator which is already on Android.

It's rather interesting on how Fast the PSP can emulate the PS1 , I guess its due to the common MIPS Architecture . so I would rather see that with PPSSPP .
11-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Hopes = Shattered. But I can at least dream for Dreamcast someday...
11-14-2013, 01:17 PM
(11-14-2013 12:34 PM)Miles Wrote:  It is a shame PCSX2 is the only PS2 Emulator considering how terrible and inaccurate it is.

Ha! ha! , if you post this remark on their official forums, I bet they'll hang you upside down when they see thisBig Grin

I also post in the chatterbox section there, I said that when I played Tekken 5 in a terrible 20 fps speed, the speed of the emulator inspired me to write a good short novel, about a young man granted with a slow motion vision powers and I got the concept and inspiration from the slow fps I experience while playing Tekken 5 using their emu and they got upset and considered it flaming, honestly some people there have no sense of expression and appreciation in art, most of them only talk about computers and nothing more.

But you nailed it right on the head, PCSX2's progress have considerably slowed down a lot this past one and a half year ever since cottonvibes and Jake stine Air left the team and there are still a lot of bugs that needs to be fixed, like Dead or Alive 2 being unplayable and some 2D games that are still slow even with a fast computer with good specs.

Feel Free To Visit My Youtube Channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos
11-14-2013, 05:48 PM
(11-14-2013 12:34 PM)Miles Wrote:  It is a shame PCSX2 is the only PS2 Emulator considering how terrible and inaccurate it is...

(Deep breath) NOT. It's anything else but that. The only issue with it is that it shows it's signs of being a bit old in it's code but that's on the parts that would be an insane part to rewrite them. I don't understand why some people who are unable to write a single line in code believe that they are candidates of being judges to others that spent a big part of their life writing code for that project they judge. The "internet" can be so stupid and ignorant sometimes that it changes the limit you thought stupidity and ignorace can go. I have to admit that those people entertain me though, they are always ready to make themselfs a fool in public.
11-14-2013, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2013 08:56 PM by Miles.)
The problem with PCSX2 is that they biased when it comes to Game Compatibility..PS2 as a huge Library but they focus too much specific titles

I actually reported a bug with Timesplitters 1 about its messed up Z-Buffer back in 2009 and still broken... I reported a Z-Buffer issue with Timesplitters 3 on Dolphin and that got fixed really quickly

Sad
[Image: timesplite.png]
02-10-2014, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 11:02 AM by yama2.)
ps2 emulator for android
Hello sir, can I ask a question? Perhaps no place here, but ..how can I play PlayStation 2 on Android? It is possible? If it is please tell me.tnx so much

I have a ps2 emulator (ps2 emulator hd rising for android) but do not know how to work .
02-10-2014, 11:12 AM
RE: ps2 emulator for android
There are a lot of topics like this! Currently there’s not a PS2 emulator for android, and it’s possible it will never exist!!

However, if you have a good PC, you can streaming the emulation from there using Kainy!!

Good luck!!

Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM