Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.6 Average
A comprehensive list of games that are only problematic on AMD/ATI graphics cards
06-28-2013, 04:06 AM
RE: A comprehensive list of games that are only problematic on AMD/ATI graphics cards
(06-28-2013 03:34 AM)solarmystic Wrote:  As you may already know, PPSSPP uses an OpenGL (OGL) backend for graphics rendering.

NVIDIA has always had a long history of excellent OGL support for all their cards, dating back from the illustrious Geforce 256 itself. They are the undisputed leader for OGL implementations and their support for other OS that use OGL is flawless. E.g. Linux.

Unfortunately, AMD (previously known as ATI before being bought out) does not. Even to this day. Avid PC gamers will remember the RAGE (2011) debacle for AMD card owners due to their crappy OGL support.

Long story short, what this means is that there are certain implementations that are inferior in AMD's OGL drivers and this affects the playability of certain games when emulated on PPSSPP.

As an owner of such an ATI/AMD card, I intend to use this thread to list out games which currently have issues with only AMD's cards and are playable on NVIDIA's cards.

Let's begin.

The list (updated to account for 0.8.1-63):-

1. Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection

The game has broken text rendering by default. Disabling Buffered Rendering fixes the issue for NVIDIA cards. Does nothing for AMD cards and remains unplayable due to the issue.

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/2018

2. Danganronpa

The game's targetting reticule does not work during Investigation Mode by default. It requires the FramebuffersToMem hack which was recently implemented into PPSSPP as of v0.8.1-20-g5fcd521. This hack fixes the issue on NVIDIA cards. Again, it does nothing for AMD cards, and the game remains unplayable. Items are not selected properly, and are out of order.

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/1686

More will be added as we discover them. Stay tuned.

Protips:-

1. Non-Crossfire (Single) AMD card owner? Always disable Advanced Catalyst A.I. in your Catalyst Control Center(CCC) for PPSSPP. This is a major source of grief for many AMD users in the form of memory leaks, crashes and other problems as has been previously reported in the forums and on github.

2. Using a legacy card (pre 5xxx series)? I recommend AMD Catalyst 11.11a. It has the best stability for this emulator. The 12.x and 13.x Legacy series are horrendous for 4xxx cards and below and have a tendency to crash the emulator at random.

I dont know what my AMD/ATl series is they got website for that?

I worse write english so take easy on me
(even my own language realy bad T_T)

Rig to test now :
Windows 8 64 bit (Laptop)
Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Nvidia GT720M 2GB
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A comprehensive list of games that are only problematic on AMD/ATI graphics cards - Ritori - 06-28-2013 04:06 AM