Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dual Core implementation - has it started yet?
06-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Dual Core implementation - has it started yet?
Is there any code issued in github branch that has started on dual core implementation yet? Dual core implementation bring speed to dual core android devices.
Find all posts by this user
06-25-2013, 12:47 AM
RE: Dual Core implementation - has it started yet?
Development for this emulator hasn't even hit a year yet. Man, people can be so unreasonable sometimes. This is probably not even a priority for them right now as they are working on compatibility first. Optimization can come later.
06-25-2013, 01:03 AM
(06-25-2013 12:17 AM)cyclonmaster Wrote:  Is there any code issued in github branch that has started on dual core implementation yet? Dual core implementation bring speed to dual core android devices.
This has been said a few times before on here, in that the second core will have the audio attached to it only, reducing the strain on the CPU doing all the work, that is all, from what i understand it to mean.
So in theory if your CPU / GPU combination is optimized as far as it can possibly be, and still doesn't run your games at full speed then, it never will. (IE...On low powered Android phones, particularly mine, being only single core).
But who knows what's achievable, only the developers have a general idea.
06-25-2013, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2013 01:53 AM by solarmystic.)
PPSSPP is pretty blazing fast as it is for functional games that don't have any GE timing issues

(The list of games that have timing issues can be found here:- https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/2010)

Pretty much any crappy PC built in the past 5-6 years with a card that supports Open GL 2.1 can run this emulator really well. I've read reports on this forum of folks rocking Pentium 4s and Celeron Ds running some games at full speed or close to it.

The min requirements for this emulator are really, really low on Windows, which is what attracted me to it in the first place, since it was built to run on even lower powered mobile phones and tablets. The lack of tweaking required to get games running fast is also another plus point. It's mostly plug and play for this emulator, which seems to abide by the KISS principle.

Hell, my laptop in sig is 4+ years and the only games it struggles with atm on PPSSSPP are the God of War games and Tekken 6. (all of them have GE timing issues that have yet to be rectified)

Unlimiting the VPS on my crappy laptop often nets hundreds and hundreds of VPS in a lot games that i shudder to think what others with supercharged i7 rigs are getting on theirs (thousands of VPS maybe?)

Android and iOS mobile devices are a different ball game all together.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
06-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Plus, the JITs aren't even 100% fully optimised yet, so there is still plenty of room for improvement. For example, the VFPU isn't even fully emulated in the JIT yet.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
06-25-2013, 04:37 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2013 04:41 AM by cyclonmaster.)
video and sound code support is already exist early before merge into main branch.
underclock/overclock psp code also exist (2235) before merge into main branch.
Also others such as CFW plugin(724), cloud save(1019) etc. So many that I see in github.
I wonder if there is a code exist already for multicore which is still outside of main branch. Just asking.
06-25-2013, 05:56 AM
Not yet. But might happen for audio decoding, mixing, GPU, IO, mpeg, and maybe savedata.

-[Unknown]
Thread Closed