Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Maxim's Atrac3plus decoder
06-23-2013, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2013 07:35 AM by Marcelo_20XX.)
Maxim's Atrac3plus decoder
So recently I was wondering what happened to the decoder Maxim was working on? did he finished or quitted the project. I don't see it incorporated on the FFMPEG library either, so I am guessing is the later, I am wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2013, 04:30 AM
RE: Maxim's Atrac3plus decoder
I'm guessing he's still working on it but he's so silent about it that sometimes i get a bit worried too.

Would be nice if he keep us updated on it, he should do a blog about it or something...

[CPU]: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz
[GPU]: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5
[PSU]: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 1000W (80 Plus Gold)
[RAM]: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
[MOBO]: MSI Z97-GAMING 5
[PC CASE]: ENERMAX Ostrog GT (Red)
[CPU FAN]: Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO
10-03-2013, 12:35 AM
(06-23-2013 04:30 AM)xZabuzax Wrote:  Would be nice if he keep us updated on it, he should do a blog about it or something...

Well, below the requested update:

Yes, I'm still working on this long-awaited ATRAC3+ decoder and would like to see it finished ASAP. Anyway, one of the first patch sets preparing some FFmpeg internals has been pushed yesterday:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=...ac870ef85c

I'm currently prepare a patch set for the decoder itself that has been finished this summer. Because the source code is huge (it counts of approx. 5000 lines of C code; several parts of it have been written quick and dirty), bringing it into the shape of being publicitly released has took a considerable amount of time.

The patch will be submitted to FFmpeg for review next WE. Taking in account its size (see above), I expect several more weeks of reviewing, back-and-forth patches, testing etc. until the code will be finally merged with the FFmpeg codebase.

I therefore ask for your patience and understanding - we all do our best to get things ready ASAP!

BTW, Henrik has recently reported that a test version I gave him a couple of weeks ago works flawlessly.

Best regards
Maxim
10-03-2013, 01:01 AM
5000 lines of C code!!Exclamation
that sure alot..

I worse write english so take easy on me
(even my own language realy bad T_T)

Rig to test now :
Windows 8 64 bit (Laptop)
Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Nvidia GT720M 2GB
10-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Well this is a surprise, Maxim's first post came with a bang and authority, i like it.

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know how things were going with your long awaited Atrac3plus decoder, and 5k lines of code, that sure is huge.

Reverse engineering that Atrac3plus must have been a royal pain in the ass, but i'm glad you managed to do it, it takes a hero to do difficult task like that.

[CPU]: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz
[GPU]: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5
[PSU]: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 1000W (80 Plus Gold)
[RAM]: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
[MOBO]: MSI Z97-GAMING 5
[PC CASE]: ENERMAX Ostrog GT (Red)
[CPU FAN]: Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO
10-03-2013, 04:59 AM
Thanks for posting that update here.

No surprise that it might take a few weeks to review, and I'm sure it took a good chunk of time to write those 5000 lines too. I'm sure you know it's well appreciated.

-[Unknown]
10-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Thumbs up for the update. Thanks a lot maxim.
10-04-2013, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 11:07 PM by Henrik.)
Not only did the preliminary version that Maxim gave me work flawlessly on the bunch of games I tested it on (I have to add a disclaimer that I obviously didn't test it on the entire PSP game library though), but it appears to run considerably faster than our current "solution". So CPU usage when playing Atrac3+ music will decrease for those of you who have been using the plugin, improving speed somewhat.

I've already thanked you before for your hard work Maxim but thanks again, hope the review process goes as smoothly as possible.
10-05-2013, 06:33 AM
(10-03-2013 01:01 AM)Ritori Wrote:  5000 lines of C code!!Exclamation
that sure alot..

thats nothing!the source code of hsg2:demo and mgspw are about 3,00,000 lines each! Exclamation (dun ask i got them 4m the game...)

I don't exist anymore, no use calling a dead person
10-05-2013, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2013 03:11 PM by Hykem.)
Nice to see the decoder is finally making it's way to FFmpeg. Great work Maxim.

During the past months I've been testing the decoder privately as well and I would like to take this opportunity to merge my reports with Henrik's.
After getting the decoder running and sorting a few issues on my side, it appears to be working on over 150 different games and is capable of decoding 6346 different files (all extracted from different games and with a huge help from nash67 at Emunewz.net).

I can't thank you enough for all this work and I wish you the best luck for the rest of the process. Even though it will take a while for ATRAC3+ to reach JPCSP (still has to go through Xuggler), PPSSPP will be able to implement it soon and give people the so long awaited missing sound.

Regards,
Hykem
10-05-2013, 06:55 PM
thanks for the update and hard work maxim.

[b]today, tomorrow, together[/b]
10-06-2013, 07:09 PM
And thanks Hykem for reporting your additional test results, great Smile
10-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Great work! One question though, since the decoder is written in C wouldn't it need translation to C++ for PPSSPP?
10-07-2013, 03:50 AM
C++ can call C code just fine without any translation or etc. Pretty sure all of FFmpeg is written in C already, and we already use it.

-[Unknown]
10-07-2013, 09:09 PM
(10-03-2013 12:35 AM)maximumspatium Wrote:  
(06-23-2013 04:30 AM)xZabuzax Wrote:  Would be nice if he keep us updated on it, he should do a blog about it or something...

Well, below the requested update:

Yes, I'm still working on this long-awaited ATRAC3+ decoder and would like to see it finished ASAP. Anyway, one of the first patch sets preparing some FFmpeg internals has been pushed yesterday:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=...ac870ef85c

I'm currently prepare a patch set for the decoder itself that has been finished this summer. Because the source code is huge (it counts of approx. 5000 lines of C code; several parts of it have been written quick and dirty), bringing it into the shape of being publicitly released has took a considerable amount of time.

The patch will be submitted to FFmpeg for review next WE. Taking in account its size (see above), I expect several more weeks of reviewing, back-and-forth patches, testing etc. until the code will be finally merged with the FFmpeg codebase.

I therefore ask for your patience and understanding - we all do our best to get things ready ASAP!

BTW, Henrik has recently reported that a test version I gave him a couple of weeks ago works flawlessly.

Best regards
Maxim

Thanks a lot for your hard work Smile
Let's be patient to see it implemented in PPSSPP Wink

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2