Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
changing game fonts for android
06-15-2013, 04:50 PM
RE: changing game fonts for android
I don't use the Android build, but if it's structured like the Windows builds I use you need to go into flash0/font and replace the fonts there.

The main complication is that the PSP uses a proprietary bitmap format, .pgf, so you need to find fonts already in .pgf format (look for Birdman's font pack for a wide variety) or make your own from .ttf font files with some command-line tools I haven't yet taught myself to use.

The Lunar-specific complication is that the PSP's New Rodin font has an incredibly large x-height - the lowercase letters are very tall and the capitals very short - and trying to match the absolute height of the lowercase with a font with a much smaller x-height (like Liberation Sans) results in the font being scaled too big. A while back I did a bit of casual looking for something similar to use as a replacement font, and discovered that the issue isn't finding a Eurostile-like font that would look the same, it's finding a font with the same ridiculous x-height. The best I found was DejaVu Sans, and its x-height was halfway between Liberation Sans's and New Rodin's.

So...good luck? I'd love to know if you find a font with a big enough x-height to fix Lunar, and so would Henrik (if its license would allow its use in PPSSPP).

I only use PPSSPP on Windows.
Intel Core i3 1.9GHz | 4GB RAM | Integrated Intel HD 4400 | Windows 8.1 x64
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: changing game fonts for android - Sarisa81 - 06-15-2013 04:50 PM