Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Linux: Weird squares everywhere.
06-06-2013, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 02:17 PM by Niyawa.)
Linux: Weird squares everywhere.
[Image: iOVu7ly.png]

As you can see in the screenshot above, it's weird. I've looked everywhere in this forum for any similar cases but nothing, so I'm making this new thread. Mods should move this to the correct section if this isn't (I'm not sure).

That only happens with the Linux build, in Windows 8 everything is perfect and smooth, so I don't believe it's a issue with my hardware. I've also installed the required dependencies and my distro (Lubuntu 13.04, x64) was updated before the test. I have a Semp Toshiba IS 1413G with the following specs:

Core 2 Duo T6500 (2.1 Ghz)
Intel Graphics 4500MHD
4 GB DDR2

I have no idea if this is a bug or anything else, so I'd appreciate any input on this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2013, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 01:52 PM by TheDax.)
RE: Linux: Weird squares everywhere.
It's not a bug, you're missing the assets folder, which has ui_atlas.zim and ppge_atlas.zim..that, or you're running PPSSPP from a location which doesn't have said folder & files.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
06-06-2013, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 01:57 PM by Niyawa.)
(06-06-2013 01:51 PM)daxtsu Wrote:  It's not a bug, you're missing the assets folder, which has ui_atlas.zim and ppge_atlas.zim..that, or you're running PPSSPP from a location which doesn't have said folder & files.

I extracted everything in a "PPSSPP" folder (assets, Karen_angelXwind, Please read this.txt and the executable itself). It can't be that.
06-07-2013, 11:50 AM
What file-manager do you use?

With some filemanagers it does not work, with nautilus it works really fine.
If you dont wanna change your file-manager, you can just try to make a starter:

Make an empty file and open it with a texteditor you like and copy and paste this :

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Name=PPSSPP
Comment=PPSSPP PSP Emulator
Exec=/path/to/your/file
Path=/path/to/your/ppsspp/folder
Icon=/path/to/your/icon/for/ppsspp/if/you/wanna/use/one
Categories=Games;

Just edit 'Exec= ; Path= ; and Icon=' what should be right for you,
Save the file and make it executable via right-click.

I hope it will work for you Tongue

ThinkPad T420s | 4GB RAM | 160GB SSD
Intel® Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel® Sandybridge Mobile
ubuntu 13.04 64Bit | Planning to install Windows 7 Professional 64Bit for dualboot
06-07-2013, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 09:54 PM by Niyawa.)
(06-07-2013 11:50 AM)Iljalicious Wrote:  What file-manager do you use?

Hey bro, thanks. I don't know what file manager comes with Lubuntu, but I installed Ubuntu (it uses nautilus I believe) for the sake of compatibility and now it works... but not exactly as it should. You can see it below.

[Image: ULhCMzY.png]

The UI is there which is a good thing (I even managed to play P3P) but I can't edit the buttons to the keys I'm used of, and that makes the experience a whole less amazing (hate using a, s, z and x). I tried the workaround you recommended in Lubuntu but I barely even know how to make the file executable to begin with. Searched in the net and tried what I found there but didn't work either.
06-07-2013, 09:57 PM
That means the ui_assets.zim file it's using is an older version.

-[Unknown]
06-08-2013, 04:19 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 04:42 AM by Iljalicious.)
I had the bug on elementaryOS Luna, which uses the Pantheon-file manager, so I had to figure it out how to fix that :'D

If you still have the ugly things,
You can download my asset-folder, it should work perfectly.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1223...assets.zip
just replace the assetsfolder with the one in your PPSSPP-directory.

If you want to play with a little newer version than the angelXwind-build,
you can download mine, there's a Qt version inside the folder too, so if it
works for you, you dont have to compile it yourself.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1223..._by_me.zip

ubuntu 13.04 64Bit | Planning to install Windows 7 Professional 64Bit for dualboot
06-08-2013, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 02:52 PM by Niyawa.)
(06-08-2013 04:19 AM)Iljalicious Wrote:  I had the bug on elementaryOS Luna, which uses the Pantheon-file manager, so I had to figure it out how to fix that :'D

Interesting. I was using elementary OS at first too, then I decided to get my preferred Ubuntu sauce (Lubuntu) to test and see why it didn't work and here I am.

(06-08-2013 04:19 AM)Iljalicious Wrote:  If you still have the ugly things,
You can download my asset-folder, it should work perfectly.

Thanks! That worked!... kind of. Let me explain.

So, in Lubuntu again, I tried downloading your build and when I extracted it and tried to execute the "PPSSPPDL", it didn't open, just gave me a window for me to select an app to open it with (like it was a unrecognizable file). I'm not sure if you gave me the x86 version or x64 so that might be it. Then, I used the live session of Ubuntu and in that case it simply didn't open, just gave me an error. At that point what I did was just replace the asset folder in the original "PPSSPPDL" that I already had downloaded from the official website. Now here's where I believe the bug with file manager comes in.

In Lubuntu (PCManFM), the executable opens, but with the bugged version just like in the first screenshot, even with the assets folder you gave me and with the official executable (yours doesn't work).
In Ubuntu (Nautilus), it worked like a charm, but only if I use the official executable with your asset folder. Here, again, your executable didn't work.

I really wanted to use it with Lubuntu since it's really fast. It's also fast with Ubuntu (more fast than Windows, maybe OpenGL drivers are better?) but heh, Unity is not really my thing. Do you know if it would be possible to install nautilus in Lubuntu? I did a quick search but most of the results that I read and tried didn't work.
06-08-2013, 07:29 PM
[...] it didn't open, just gave me a window for me to select an app to open it with (like it was a unrecognizable file)

Did you tried to rightlick the application and make it executable ?
Because you downloaded my files, it's maybe..not marked automatically as an executable file.

In Lubuntu, there should be a Software-Center too I guess?
Look there after Nautilus, it should be there, just install the package.

But you could start the emulator with the launcher I guess, so you dont have to install anything :'P

You still can use your own executable,(if mine really dont work) there are not many changes I think.

06-09-2013, 01:07 AM
(06-08-2013 07:29 PM)Iljalicious Wrote:  Did you tried to rightlick the application and make it executable ?
Because you downloaded my files, it's maybe..not marked automatically as an executable file.

Well, when I looked more thoroughly, I found it was recognized as an executable, but it still didn't open as one. I can't explain.

(06-08-2013 07:29 PM)Iljalicious Wrote:  In Lubuntu, there should be a Software-Center too I guess?
Look there after Nautilus, it should be there, just install the package.

I found 4 results, but none of them were related to the File Manager, I believe it's possible to use Nautilus with LXDE, just not in the common way.

(06-08-2013 07:29 PM)Iljalicious Wrote:  You still can use your own executable,(if mine really dont work) there are not many changes I think.

Actually, I found my own way to resolve this issue. I installed wine beta (1.5), then started using the Windows build and puff, magic. It's even more faster than I thought it would. Some locations in the game that used to be fast became slow though, but the variety of extra options and settings make up for it. I guess every OS has it's own forte. Still, I'm really thankful for your support and of the others who posted here too and while I didn't get what I wanted, I learned a lot from it. I added to your reputation, you deserve it.
06-09-2013, 04:58 AM
Sounds like it was packed with the wrong ui file.
You might need to compile it yourself, which is very easy on Linux.
06-09-2013, 06:32 AM
@xsacha

It is very easy, thats why I did it every day several times.
But for Qt it dont work since version 0.7.6.905 and SDL since version 0.7.6.956.

06-09-2013, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2013 06:54 PM by Niyawa.)
(06-09-2013 04:58 AM)xsacha Wrote:  Sounds like it was packed with the wrong ui file.
You might need to compile it yourself, which is very easy on Linux.

Scared of sounding stupid, how do you do that? I usually install apps through the Software Center or by downloading a .deb package. If I have to use command line there's a ppa ready but I've never successfully compiled anything from source.
06-10-2013, 04:54 AM
Well instead of compiling, you could always just grab the latest .zim files from GitHub
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/tree/master/assets

And replace the ones you have with those.
06-10-2013, 06:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 06:11 AM by Iljalicious.)
@xsacha

I tried to replace the assetsfiles from https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/tree/master/assets

With these files, I have now the funny squares, so only mine work for me..somehow.