Thread Rating:
  • 23 Votes - 4.17 Average
PPSSPP Symbian Port
03-17-2013, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 02:08 PM by xsacha.)
RE: PPSSPP Symbian Port
(03-17-2013 01:12 PM)laugher Wrote:  jetpack joyride 15-60, yes 60 while flying xD usually 57-43 but when graphicsal bugs occurs fps drops down to 9-15
This is a very bizarre game.

On my tablet with a PowerVR GPU, I only get 60 fps while walking (it slows down dramatically to about 8 FPS while flying).

And after about a minute, the game will grind to a halt (no matter what device) due to all the VRAM being eaten up.
On N8 this is much more rapid due to it only having 32MB VRAM and no shared mem.

Back in ~v0.3-v0.4 there was no VRAM leakage and game ran 40-60 FPS throughout IIRC.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2013, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 04:34 PM by [Unknown].)
Hmm. Maybe it's because it's keeping more textures active. It'd be really interesting to see profiles of these.

You can try essentially disabling texture caching by making it only use a texture up to N times. Or make the invalidation delete textures again. It should make it slower, but if GPU upload is cheap, it may be better for small VRAM.

-[Unknown]
03-17-2013, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 04:57 PM by xsacha.)
"Or make the invalidation delete textures again." <-- will try that now. thanks.
03-17-2013, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 06:11 PM by tenshitsuki.)
Hi Xsacha.
Just testing the new ppsspp 0.71 that you posted today, great job again =D.
Disabling media engine, i can play castlevania dracula x, and not just it, talking about the "vertex cache", on this game if you enable VC your fps raises from 20 to 45/53fps.

Pes13 - freezes my phone with ME turned off. On VC raises the frame in 20/30 fps. On training mode i got 33 as lowest fps but average 40/47.

Digimon digitalize- VC helps a lot here too, +20 fps. I can play with 53 fps on most parts, and lowest is 37 fps.

Megaman maverick hunter- Same as before, 20/22 fps with VC off (some drops to 14/15fps facing some enemys), 13/14- VC on.

Ghost'n goblins- Same as before, 30/35 fps ( on pc there's no problem with green screen, this's a problem with nokia belle?)

Lumines - runs perfectly as before, 60 fps.

Street fighter alpha 3- the same as before too.

Megaman power up - 22 fps, buffered, VC, media, nothing affect it.

Bleach, kof and ssx on tour keeps crashing on loading, i tried every option.

I don't know if it's a problem on this forum post these tests on this page, but maybe this can help in something, i don't know, sorry about it.

The bug on the sound is just on nokia belle, or it happens on all mobiles?
03-17-2013, 06:25 PM
(03-17-2013 05:32 PM)tenshitsuki Wrote:  The bug on the sound is just on nokia belle, or it happens on all mobiles?
Sound doesn't work properly on PC either. Unless you're talking about a different bug?

I found a way to get better performance for the low-spec devices like N8. Jetpack Joyride now fully playable Smile Will save this up for next release. Hopefully can work out a neat way of merging it.
03-17-2013, 06:29 PM
(03-17-2013 06:25 PM)xsacha Wrote:  
(03-17-2013 05:32 PM)tenshitsuki Wrote:  The bug on the sound is just on nokia belle, or it happens on all mobiles?
Sound doesn't work properly on PC either. Unless you're talking about a different bug?

I found a way to get better performance for the low-spec devices like N8. Jetpack Joyride now fully playable Smile Will save this up for next release. Hopefully can work out a neat way of merging it.

Wow you're awesome! I look forward to try this Smile
03-17-2013, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 07:00 PM by tenshitsuki.)
(03-17-2013 06:25 PM)xsacha Wrote:  

That's great, you're awesome just like sykry said=D

I have one doubt, do you see a lot of difference on performance in the emulator, between your N8 and your 808 ( that i supose, it's the same hardware as the 701fp2 that i have). I mean the performance that i get, it's the same that you get on the N8?

Btw, about the sound, on the mobile version, i can hear just a noise/wheezing sound, as if it was lagging, i can hear the sound, but with this annoying problem, on the pc there's no such a problem. hehe
03-17-2013, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 11:22 PM by xsacha.)
The 808 (603/700/701) gets about double performance of the N8 (C6,C7,E7,X7,..) in every game.

Do you only hear problems with the sound when the game isn't running 60 fps?
Also, do you have frameskip on (this will kill sound)?

Edit: I think I hear what you mean, sound isn't quite right still. This is what it sounds like on all mobile platforms to me though.
See this video of v0.7 on Pandora: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM5KonBNIQE Sounds the same to me.

Does it not sound like this on Windows? Since I copied how it was implemented in SDL, maybe I copied a buggy implementation of the audio Tongue I will check what Windows does if you say it works fine there.
03-17-2013, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 11:30 PM by tenshitsuki.)
(03-17-2013 11:14 PM)xsacha Wrote:  The 808 (603/700/701) gets about double performance of the N8 (C6,C7,E7,X7,..) in every game.

Do you only hear problems with the sound when the game isn't running 60 fps?
Also, do you have frameskip on (this will kill sound)?

Edit: I think I hear what you mean, sound isn't quite right still. This is what it sounds like on all mobile platforms to me though.
See this video of v0.7 on Pandora: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM5KonBNIQE Sounds the same to me.

Does it not sound like this on Windows? Since I copied how it was implemented in SDL, maybe I copied a buggy implementation of the audio Tongue I will check what Windows does if you say it works fine there.

Lumines plays at 60fps and yet, there's noise. There're some jrpgs that plays at 60 fps too, and all of them have the same noise. Others games too.

i'm not using frameskip cuz a lot of games are freezing when this is turned on, just work on few.

Just saw the video, sounds like this ( but maybe a bit worse ), on windows all games plays the sound without this problem.
03-17-2013, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 11:42 PM by xsacha.)
Yeah, it sounds like this on every device I have right now :\ I guess Windows is doing something right that the other ones aren't doing.
This may have fixed the issue, not sure:
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/commi...191e102c1b

(03-17-2013 11:28 PM)tenshitsuki Wrote:  i'm not using frameskip cuz a lot of games are freezing when this is turned on, just work on few.

Known issue. Frameskip only works properly for most games with buffered rendering turned off.
03-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Oh god...

I suspected that there was only one thing that could be causing me all that trouble. I opened my games in a hex editor after extract them and some iso files were corrupted. So this why I couldn't play those games.

Yeah, I know...

But I'm really happy to see that PSP games can run smoothly on a Symbian device. That's really fantastic!

Is there any way to change volume level? Physical buttons don't seem to work.
Does it support USB OTG or bluetooth controllers?
Is it possible to make the emulator stretch to fit a tv screen using the av out (composite)cable? Only videos seem to do that.
03-19-2013, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 11:59 PM by xsacha.)
Physical buttons should work, if they normally work on your phone.

USB OTG and bluetooth controllers work 100% (tested here Big Grin).

Yeah I can make the Qt code detect second screen instead of mirroring. Might slow down the emulation though, if it has to render 1080p.
03-20-2013, 12:13 AM
(03-19-2013 11:58 PM)xsacha Wrote:  Physical buttons should work, if they normally work on your phone.

USB OTG and bluetooth controllers work 100% (tested here Big Grin).

Yeah I can make the Qt code detect second screen instead of mirroring. Might slow down the emulation though, if it has to render 1080p.

hi, how to set the bluetooth controller on symbian? also what is it? keyboard? gamepad?
03-20-2013, 12:31 AM
No need to set anything. Just connect it.
It's keyboard. A,Z,S,X and arrow keys.

If you have a specific controller, tell me the mapping you want and I'll add it.
03-20-2013, 06:47 AM
Is possible to join Dualshock 3 to Symbian phone? Dualshock 3 joins to Playstation 3 by bluetooth, symbian devices have bluetooth too Big Grin