Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Phone for PPSSPP
05-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Phone for PPSSPP
Hey guys im looking for a new phone and wanted to know if theres one thats good for this emulator...(minus the S4)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2013, 11:02 PM
RE: Phone for PPSSPP
So! We were talking about an N4 earlier, what do you think about it?

-Samsung galaxy S3 International version - Android 4.4.2
-Dual Core locked CPU, Clocked at 1Ghz-1.8Ghz
-Mali 400MP4 GPU Clocked from 160Mhz to 533Mhz
-1GB ram, boo..
05-18-2013, 11:23 PM
you really need a phone with either an SD card slot, or at least 32GB storage.

nvidia shield(high performance, but not a phone) and Xperia play(lower performance) have the advantage of built-in controllers, the Xperia play buttons are actually pre-programmed into ppsspp.

my preference goes out to the note 2 and a separate mobile controller(I use a ps3 controller modded using lego technic) in part as a silent protest against the vita's emulator's limitations.
it has about the same size screen and the same type(close to 5" oled), but can also handle games at far higher resolution.
the vita runs psp games at 480x272 upscaled to 960x544, while the note 2 easily renders psp games at 960x544 upscaling them to 1280x720(it's hard to see but it might even be rendering them at 1280x720 if buffered rendering is off)
the large screen is really nice to have.
05-18-2013, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 11:45 PM by lonmc3.)
@Kenny 64 i think its good and has fast prcessors but the battery worries me

oops Kenny 43 i meant i just looked real quick...and a Note 2 is too big for me sort of.....
05-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Oh, well you could get an S3 then, is basically the same SGS note2 but a little smaller.

-1GB ram, boo..
05-19-2013, 12:36 AM
yea and it comes in blue...im looking towards that one..but what about Xperias?
05-19-2013, 12:44 AM
It depends on which Xperia are you interested on, there's lots of them.

-1GB ram, boo..
05-19-2013, 12:46 AM
well a good Quad Core one that isnt too high in price like the Z and Zl
05-19-2013, 01:25 AM
These're the only Xperias that are actually Quad, haha. Sony had something with doing Xperias over and over, ever since the x8 and x10, that much that they kinda forgot to make a very high end one, that's when the Z came out and is why it's pretty expensive.

-1GB ram, boo..
05-19-2013, 06:17 AM
(05-19-2013 12:46 AM)lonmc3 Wrote:  well a good Quad Core one that isnt too high in price like the Z and Zl

Well, if you want a cheap A15 quad core, then go for the nexus 4. However, its GPU isn't that great. If you can afford it, you should consider a phone with the adreno 320 GPU like the HTC One, as that's one of the fastest GPUs right now. Powervr on the sgs4 is better, but there have been reports about ppsspp having problems with powervr. Otherwise, if you're willing to compromise some performance, go for a cheaper previous gen A9 quad core, like the sgs3.
05-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Remember your going get the very best performance with emulators such as Dreamcast, MAME, N64, PSP (PPSSPPP), GameCube, PSX, PS2.

With 64-Bit chipset (armv8) model smartphones, when they start shipping in 2014. ARM/Intel. Have will use this type of architecture next year as its been confirmed.

That's PC & MAC level performance for programs & applications. All those emulators will start running butter smooth. So if I was you, wait until 2014 to buy a decent high end smartphone. Unless you just plan in playing less power hungry emus like NeoGeo, SNES, Genesis, etc.
05-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys @Terminator i would do that but i have to buy a new one now since my current phone is unuseable.
05-19-2013, 10:42 AM
(05-19-2013 08:53 AM)Terminator Wrote:  Remember your going get the very best performance with emulators such as Dreamcast, MAME, N64, PSP (PPSSPPP), GameCube, PSX, PS2.

With 64-Bit chipset (armv8) model smartphones, when they start shipping in 2014. ARM/Intel. Have will use this type of architecture next year as its been confirmed.

That's PC & MAC level performance for programs & applications. All those emulators will start running butter smooth. So if I was you, wait until 2014 to buy a decent high end smartphone. Unless you just plan in playing less power hungry emus like NeoGeo, SNES, Genesis, etc.

This is the perennial 'wait for the next model' argument all over again. Obviously, the newer hardware is going to be better. And if we waited long enough, we'd have phones capable of emulating ps3 games. But obviously, by then, the native mobile games are going to be much better with significantly superior graphics, so emulating a psp will no longer be that cool anymore.
05-19-2013, 11:34 AM
(05-19-2013 10:42 AM)geigermuller Wrote:  
(05-19-2013 08:53 AM)Terminator Wrote:  Remember your going get the very best performance with emulators such as Dreamcast, MAME, N64, PSP (PPSSPPP), GameCube, PSX, PS2.

This is the perennial 'wait for the next model' argument all over again. Obviously, the newer hardware is going to be better. And if we waited long enough, we'd have phones capable of emulating ps3 games. But obviously, by then, the native mobile games are going to be much better with significantly superior graphics, so emulating a psp will no longer be that cool anymore.

All you gotta do is wait one more year, for optimised performance without lag. We are on the edge when it comes to hardware emulation of big emus such as psx upwards (DC,GC,PS@ etc. current gen phones are 32-bit (armv7) just fall slightly when running these top emus. One year won't drop the psp's popularity. It's just a bad time to invest in a high end phone for those types of emulators in 2013. wait it out one more year.
05-19-2013, 11:42 AM
I would but i need a new phone now waiting isnt an option..