Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PSP fonts - replacement font?
05-26-2013, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2013 01:24 AM by [Unknown].)
RE: PSP fonts - replacement font?
These are the only tools for PGF I know of:
https://github.com/tpunix/pgftool

Some things have to be massaged though, like trimming space around chars, tweaking ascenders, etc. But the tool works well.

PGF is raster, but it uses 26.6 and games often check the metrics. The problem with "M ight" and such is 100% incorrect metrics in the PGF afaict, but the other problem is that games hard wrap, and they also allot only a fixed amount of width/height for the text. I don't want to spend a bunch of time getting the ascender and etc. correct on a font that's gonna have other issues anyway.

If the game hard wraps, a thin font will end up looking really funny. It may also have to be nearly unreadably small to be short enough that it fits in the vertical space its allowed. This can even be a problem for soft wrapping.

The metrics really don't need to be identical, but yeah, similar is what I'm shooting for. I also have no idea how to find fonts based on metrics...

I think that luckily, this doesn't really affect CJK fonts, because those are usually square (I think?) It's only really Latin/Greek/Cyrillic/etc. that this is a problem for.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
PSP fonts - replacement font? - [Unknown] - 05-06-2013, 02:36 AM
RE: PSP fonts - replacement font? - vnctdj - 05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
RE: PSP fonts - replacement font? - Squall - 05-21-2013, 01:28 PM
RE: PSP fonts - replacement font? - [Unknown] - 05-26-2013 01:23 AM