Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PSP fonts - replacement font?
05-24-2013, 12:46 AM
RE: PSP fonts - replacement font?
I did some quick looking-around in April for JPCSP, so I'll repost what I found out.

To anyone going font-hunting: the PSP font New Rodin's Latin characters are very similar to the famous font Eurostile. If you have any way to search for fonts like Eurostile, you'll get something close.

There are free (OFL) fonts named Jura, Orbitron and Homenaje that are much more similar to New Rodin (which itself is similar to the much better known font Eurostile). Jura and Orbitron aren't condensed enough, and Homenaje has a few too many flourishes, but they're closer.

For Japanese there aren't as many free fonts. Sazanami Gothic's kana are a trace better match, but VL Gothic's kanji are more similar, and you'd want to replace either font's Latin characters with the chosen Latin font. To someone used to most typography that sounds like a Frankenfont, but using three separate fonts for three separate writing systems is not uncommon in Japan.

For reference, here's a small New Rodin specimen: http://fontworks.co.jp/font/sample/data/newrodin.pdf
The PSP font is the DB (demibold, 600).

I only use PPSSPP on Windows.
Intel Core i3 1.9GHz | 4GB RAM | Integrated Intel HD 4400 | Windows 8.1 x64
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
PSP fonts - replacement font? - [Unknown] - 05-06-2013, 02:36 AM
RE: PSP fonts - replacement font? - vnctdj - 05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
RE: PSP fonts - replacement font? - Squall - 05-21-2013, 01:28 PM
RE: PSP fonts - replacement font? - Sarisa81 - 05-24-2013 12:46 AM