Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Changing Rotation setting sort of breaks the controls in games (latest dev builds!)
03-26-2024, 07:35 PM
Changing Rotation setting sort of breaks the controls in games (latest dev builds!)
Before I begin, I wanted to say that I tried to report this on your issue tracker at github but for whatever reason my account is flagged? So I could post there but the posts are invisible to you guys and everyone else but me. It's not an issue with having my account being set to private accidentally either. I'll elaborate more at the bottom of the post.

Now to the real issue here. Certain games require the player to rotate the PSP counterclockwise 90° to play, usually shoot em ups or pinball games on this system. If I rotate the screen, the controls will become turned or inverted on each axis on the stick or on the D-pad too, but not necessarily in a way that makes sense. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the controls don't end up oriented to the screen appropriately. Checking the control configuration shows that my setup is still the same as it was, there's no per-game setting override or anything like that since I always use the same settings for everything.

I'm using an Xbox series X|S controller by the way. This was checked with 2 very recent dev builds before the github shenanigans happened, namely versions v1.17.1-60-g7cddd09e3 and v1.17.1-65-g14b78e58a. I'm on Windows 10 Pro 22H2.

For example, "Star Soldier (Japan) (En,Ja)" starts out using the normal PSP orientation (Landscape), but after pressing start it will tell you that you need to turn the console CCW to play.
[Image: V05N26J.png][Image: DUOa3wW.png]

Then the playfield is now more like a vertical shmup in an arcade machine (Portrait).
[Image: f70WA84.png]

Your movement controls are now at the bottom of the PSP and action buttons on top, so what are normally left and right inputs actually now act as down and up inputs in the game.

PPSSPP gets this right if I leave the Rotation setting at its default (Landscape, first 2 images), it is acting like a real machine, so to play correctly I'd have to turn the controller sideways in my hands, but then the screen has to be rotated now.

Set Rotation to Portrait (last image) to match the game, and the controls are now turned as well to match up. Up/down on my controller does the same in the menus in the game, as does left/right. I don't have to rotate the controller in my hands like before. This is what I assume to be correct behavior in PPSSPP.

But here's the thing, the analog stick and the D-pad are doing different things with some Rotation settings. On Landscape both inputs are the same, but on Portrait the D-pad controls are inverted compared to the stick, they don't do the same things like in Landscape mode.

If I set Rotation to Portrait reversed, the controls on the stick for up/down DO NOT WORK AT ALL, but work with the D-pad. Left/right work but don't do the same thing as the D-pad either.

Other games I tested that play sideways are:
Beta Bloc (Italy)
Beta Bloc (Europe) (PSP) (PSN)
Beta Bloc (USA) (PSP) (PSN)
Susume Tactics! (USA) (PSN)
Susume Mamore Tatakae (Japan) (PSN)
Zoku Susume Mamore Tatakae (Japan) (minis) (PSN)

They all more or less do the same thing as Soldier Blade did. I tried rotating both the Tomb Raider games just to see how PPSSPP would handle them since they do not use any rotation natively and the behavior doesn't seem consistent?

I'm actually a bit confused as to how this feature is supposed to work. Am I supposed to rotate the controller in my hand to match the game's orientation kind of like if I was holding a real PSP? Even then it doesn't seem to make sense all the time either.

Some of the pinball games like Pinball Fantasies or Pinball Dreams allow rotation by pressing a button but they turn CW 90° instead of CCW. I made a small list of games that I didn't test but know allow a sideways gameplay:
Pinball Dreams
Pinball Duel/Battle Pinball
Pinball Fantasies
Ramen Heaven/Ramenyu Tengoku

Hopefully either hrydgard or Lunamoo sees this post and can fix this problem in the future. This forum is so inactive and I have no other way to file a bug report unfortunately. I blame all the AI nonsense going on lately. Word is github is getting hit with a lot. But this was a big enough issue to me that it was worth letting you guys know somehow. I got this thing about this sort of stuff. I hate knowing about bugs and not reporting them.

Speaking of github, here are the 2 threads I had posted on github that no one can see:
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issue...s%3Aclosed
[Image: 4g0GOca.png]
[Image: xuQprMI.png]

The account is brand new (like yesterday) and posting on that repo was the only thing I did with it. I can only guess I am in some ip ban range or they have a problem with the email account used (maybe think I'm AI bot), but I haven't received any notices about being banned. The only clue was that trying to search any repo gives a yellow error about being flagged, but sitewide search doesn't do this.
[Image: 1LChEC0.png]
I tried to make another account and signed in and it is flagged from the start, and I used a different device and email on a completely different connection (phone carrier vs cable wifi) so something weird is going on.
Anyway I give up on that site. Looking around reddit I see other people experiencing similar problems too. I can't even delete the account either. It says I have to contact support and make a ticket but to do that I have to first set up 2FA which wants my phone number and no way that's happening now. Changing my email doesn't affect anything either. Like wow I have a github account I can't delete nor really do anything with except look at stuff. May as well be locked.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply